New GPS!

Silvertip47

The Chair Bandit
Treated myself to the new Montana GPS. It uses interchangeable chips. You can get very detailed ones for $99 per state. Not only shows State, BLM,F&G and Indian lands it shows private land and who owns it!!!

But I am going to need a class or 2 to use all it's fru frus!!!!

I wish I had one for my trip. Now I have to get lost all on my own. Lemme know how it works out.

Been looking at those. Supposedly getting one as a replacement for the one ordered in error, but nothing's happened yet. Interested in your thoughts after using it for a while.

Did you look at the 650t? I thought that one had the detailed maps perloaded so you don't have to buy the extra chips

Been playing with it a while now. Took it with me on my quad trip last Sat. It is totally awesome!!!

The 600 has a basic map preloaded on it. Shows the major streets in Boise but none of the side streets. I prefer the chip changing as I can get super details of just one state. I think the 650T also has a camera which I do not care about.

Yup, the Montana's are pretty deluxe. Congratulations on the acquisition. Did you figure all out the nav features yet? If so there is future for you on the lecture circuit.

The only thing the the other model has is the camera, and a pretty good one too, and a fuller navigation function suite when used like a NUVI, complete with traffic updating, hence the "T" in the destination. I suppose it also has more internal memory or processor speed to handle topo and hillshade apps, I'd have to look. Mine came with the same base map as yours. To get the enhanced map with the tax lots I had to buy the SD card too. You can also get nautical charts and river atlases in the same format. It's rumored that both have a standard brew coffee function, and spouse proximity warning feature, but so far I have not accessed either.

Bottom line it's a whole lot of GPS with a whole lot of functions, enjoy!

Treated myself to the new Montana GPS. It uses interchangeable chips. You can get very detailed ones for $99 per state. Not only shows State, BLM,F&G and Indian lands it shows private land and who owns it!!!

But I am going to need a class or 2 to use all it's fru frus!!!!

Congrats on the Garmin Montana 600. I have that one also and it's great. I used it throughout last years hunting season in OR and ID.

I started with the paid Garmin 24k West maps. That map covered CA, OR, WA but didn't have ID. I found this site which has tons of open source maps that you can download for free. They have some really good detailed topo maps. We used the free maps of Idaho during my hunt and they were great.

Check out that site. Pretty easy to download onto your device and switch between maps depending on your destination.

Back
Top Bottom