New Grandby build

Thesafegirl

We have been lurking around this forum for years dreaming of getting a Four Wheel Camper. All of the advice and ideas have been invaluable. We decided to sell our faithful Sprinter Sportsmobile Van once we get this build completed. I would love any advice you all have for items/features you have found helpful/can't live without.

Here is what we have coming together so far:
- Four Wheel Camper Grandby self contained
- 2015 Chevy HD 2500 long bed crew cab (should be delivered in the next few weeks..yep bought the camper before the truck
smile.gif
)
- Custom service bed for extra storage
- Custom bumper with storage boxes for misc. items and a cooler rack and flip down steps
- MaxTrax that fit in the gap between the camper and the service bed

We will be using the truck for onsite photo shoots/press related ventures as well as surf, paddleboard and and adventure trips.

Thanks for all the useful info :)

Lynel

Attachments

• truck1.jpg
    truck1.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 1,809
  • truck2.jpg
    truck2.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 240
Yeah, that is going to be a nice setup. I have always liked the service bed idea. Looking forward to seeing the completed rig!

super doody said:
Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to this build. Seems like with the service bed, the camper will be same height as UTE model. Beside cost, did you guys consider getting a UTE Grandby?

http://www.fwcjh.com/#!flat-bed-camper/cn2c
We purchased the Grandby from FWC in Colorado (it was their showroom model) and didn't want to wait to have one built. Needed to get the camper in the shop so we could make some of the mods we wanted before the truck arrives :). The UTE version does look really nice!

Wow, this is one of the more impressive builds I have seen. Considering our new Hawk had more storage than we needed for our ten day inaugural trip, the amount of storage in your setup should enable you to spend long periods in remote locations. BTW, Your online name and avatar intrigue me. Reminds me of Richard Feynman's stories of safe cracking. Care to share your story behind the reason you used that name and avatar?

Basically what Ted said,
plus Welcome to the WTW clan,
plus what's your opinion of the Rocky Mountain FWC folks?

Hi Safe Girl,
Welcome to the family - neighbor. (actually we live in San Marcos).
The service bed is a great idea and the Grandby will be a great camper for you guys.

index.php

Does a FWC require more support under the floor of the camper than just the sides of the camper base? Or is this adequate?

Yes, we usually recommend that the entire camper floor is supported.

Having the camper floor "floating" up like that might not be the best idea long term.

Stan

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

hmt said:
index.php

Does a FWC require more support under the floor of the camper than just the sides of the camper base? Or is this adequate?

Sweet set up !

That should be one killer adventure vehicle.

Here are some pictures of the last customer that did something similar.

I love your willingness to take things to the next level.

:)

Stan

Attachments

• utility F-350 3.jpg
    utility F-350 3.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 182
  • utility F-350 1.jpg
    utility F-350 1.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 199
hmt said:
index.php

The FWC will actually rest on top of a special frame that is being built to house a water tank. Below is a solid works drawing of the tank. We are hoping to use the rig for surfing, paddleboarding, camping, etc and with 2 small kids in tow we like having water for showers, drinking, etc.....plus there was a couple of 'free' inches so we 'had' to use it for something :)

This is a solid works drawing of the stainless steel water tank that will be housed inside a metal frame. The FWC will sit on this frame. Warm showers here we come :) Our current Sprinter Sportsmobile doesn't have warm water..we might be going overboard but we sure are looking forward to a warm hose down after the ocean, hiking, etc.

Attachments

• water-tank_sm.jpg
    water-tank_sm.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 119
Stan@FourWheel said:
Sweet set up !

That should be one killer adventure vehicle.

Here are some pictures of the last customer that did something similar.

I love your willingness to take things to the next level.

:)

Stan

This truck was a major inspiration when we were deciding what to get!

Ted said:
Wow, this is one of the more impressive builds I have seen. Considering our new Hawk had more storage than we needed for our ten day inaugural trip, the amount of storage in your setup should enable you to spend long periods in remote locations. BTW, Your online name and avatar intrigue me. Reminds me of Richard Feynman's stories of safe cracking. Care to share your story behind the reason you used that name and avatar?
I am an owner at Brown Safe Mfg here in Vista CA. Come from a long line of safecrackers (the good kind) :) My brothers and I grew up building and cracking safes with my dad.

DanT said:
Basically what Ted said,
plus Welcome to the WTW clan,
plus what's your opinion of the Rocky Mountain FWC folks?
Rocky Mountain FWC was great, we had a bit of a tricky time as we didn't have the truck yet so they were very helpful and drove the camper over to a rigging yard where we had a crane load it on a flat bed truck that brought it down to So Cal for us.

RC Pilot Jim said:
Hi Safe Girl,
Welcome to the family - neighbor. (actually we live in San Marcos).
The service bed is a great idea and the Grandby will be a great camper for you guys.
Hi Jim....nice to hear you are a neighbor! I'm curious about your screen name..are you into RC planes?

Thesafegirl said:
This is a solid works drawing of the stainless steel water tank that will be housed inside a metal frame. The FWC will sit on this frame. Warm showers here we come :) Our current Sprinter Sportsmobile doesn't have warm water..we might be going overboard but we sure are looking forward to a warm hose down after the ocean, hiking, etc.
Great use of space!

Back
Top Bottom