New here, Looking for some advice on a camper

BWSracing

Advanced Member
I am in the beginning stages of purchasing a camper for my Wife, three large dogs and myself to travel the country. My plan is to travel anywhere from four months to year with out returning home. I have a 2014 Ram 2500 short bed crew cab. A few requirements are I still need to be able to tow a car trailer, Detach the camper from the truck and be able to get to remote places. I understand i'm asking for my cake and to eat it as well.

From what little research I've done and ideal budget of 25k-30k it puts me out of some of the top of the line campers. I also think I need to lean towards a flatbed style for the extra space inside and the ability to have storage in bed boxes. I have a few must haves in my opinion, Inside shower/toilet, a/c, queen sized bed, awning, and some exterior lights. I'm sure there are more things we want but not aware of of right now.

What i'm looking for here is some advice on what things you all would have done differently when looking and choosing your camper, what things to really keep an eye out for, what we cannot live with out and just dont know it yet and is the cost of a flat bed really worth it or should we be exploring other options i'm not aware of.

My short amount of research has pointed me at the FWC hawk flatbed, Outfitters caribou, or the ATC Ocelot. I'm not apposed to the right used one for the right deal but i understand the quality ones are hard to come by used.

Thanks again

Take a look at the Alaskan Campers. Recently, I've seen several of them on flatbeds, and they make a nice unit. We recently visited the factory, and had I the opportunity to do it over, I think an Alaskan would be my first choice for the type of camping/exploring we do.

This is John Armitage's camper. He has lived in it for 14 years, and taken it into some pretty rough country as the exterior shows. Still, it is sound and reliable. The aluminum flatbed is from Highway Products, and provides lots of storage.

20226163789_ac0b17f4e4_b.jpg

Thank you, I looked though there website a little bit and it wasn't very clear. Maybe I need to revisit them. Thank you

On the note of flatbeds, Does anyone know anything specific I need to look for when choosing one of these? Does a camper need anything special?

Thanks

If you don't get a flatbed, go for the FWC Raven which won't extend pass your bumper allowing easy towing etc. The base Raven only weighs 740 pounds. Also you don't need to remove the camper going into tight places.

BobM said:
If you don't get a flatbed, go for the FWC Raven which won't extend pass your bumper allowing easy towing etc. The base Raven only weighs 740 pounds. Also you don't need to remove the camper going into tight places.
He has a 2500 or 3/4 ton. That will not have a short bed. It will have a standard bed and a hawk will not be past the bumper. I would not give up the room of a Hawk to go to a Raven on a standard bed.

My dad has a custom made alaskan on his 10 ft flat hybrid. Its had a few bugs in it, but he has been really happy with it for the most part. They will custom make you anything you want. Other camper manufacturers really don't like custom work i.e. Four Wheel camper. ImageUploadedByWander The West1445313691.679400.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

Bill, the OP states he has a short bed; however, you're right, it'll be long enough for a Hawk.

It is the 6.8' bed, if I was think about buying a camper a year ago I would have gotten the ling bed and dealt with city parking issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

IF you go with Alaskan, especially a short bed model, be sure to get the narrow (2 person across) dinette so more storage area.
Also, I would recommend the wider CO bed edition for sleeping space. If your patient, there are Alaskans that come up for sale often, but with just what you want, it would likely be a while trolling.
If you went with a short bed Alaskan... Or any other short bed camper.... for that kind of length of time, I would definitely take some sort of shelter (large tent, canopy, whatever) so you could have significant additional "living space" when the weather allows it. Well, unless your moving all the time. Then it's likely not worth the weight & space involved.

Good luck/best wishes

Regarding shower.... A custom built flatbed model could house a shower easily, Bryan could use a shortened leg less utility sink as a base, and the shower water drain out the side to a 5gal "catch can"...
Bryan is very good to work with.

One of the other hurdles in seeing with used is that they are all on the west coast and I couldn't be closer to the Atlantic Ocean.

This is the kind of information I was hoping to get.

In regards to options in not thinking about, what am I missing I need to consider?

Does anyone have any experience with palomino backpack? I have a like new one local for what I feel is a great deal.

By happy coincidence I have the same model truck you have- a Ram 2500 4WD short bed. I just put a custom aluminum flat bed and a FWC Hawk on it. We just did our maiden voyage and couldn't be happier. (this is my second Hawk.) Here are some photos in another thread.

Our unit has the furnace, inside shower and cassette toilet. I looked askance at the toilet but ya know what (shhh) I kinda like it.

One reminder. With a 3/4 ton truck the tendency is to think you have lots of weight capacity to play with. Not so! Even with a aluminum bed that was 190# lighter than my bed it replaced and not even fully loaded we are slightly over our GVWR. And some of the other models you are considering are a LOT heavier than the Hawk.

I'll also mention the flat bed models are a bear to remove and reinstall. And while it sounds neat to remove the camper and leave it to enjoy your truck solo we've found it isn't super practical. And frankly, I've found the Hawk is so well-made it can go any place I want to take a 9,000# truck! You'll find FWC build quality to be unbeatable.

A slight change of plans, I'm going to look at a slide in Grandby tomorrow morning. Not exactly what I was looking for but fingers crossed it's going to save me a ton and less of a risk of the long term plans don't work out. I'll post pictures tomorrow if it al works out.

Just picked up this 2011 Grandby. Excellent condition and a decent amount of options. Looks like I get to accelerate my plans.ImageUploadedByWander The West1447521871.573245.jpg

I need to add a few things but its maiden voyage will be in a few weeks. The wife and I will figure out a system of what we need and don't need and educate ourselves on showers. I'll post some pictures of this thing on my truck later this week or next. I also need to figure out a plug solution.

This thing doesn't even look like it was ever used. ImageUploadedByWander The West1447715746.255992.jpg

Congrats on your new camper.

Just an FYI: FWC and ATC have a single layer of plywood for a floor and no structural support. Most guys put sawhorses or other supports underneath while storing their camper. You shouldn't walk inside either unless supported.

Lighthawk said:
<snip>

You shouldn't walk inside either unless supported.
Last month, The Bride and I visited American RV in Tigard to look at possible options. When I hesitated about entering an unsupported camper, they said not to worry. That surprised me.

All things considered, I still will not walk in my Grandby unless it is well supported.

Yep, when I was at the dealer a couple days ago he said it is no problem at all, that you can walk in them unsupported. He stated you just want it low so the jacks aren't fully extended and more apt to sway.

It looked like it was supported to me, that there are cross beams if you will, under the floor. I think there are 2"x2" or 1"x4" pieces of wood running from side to side. Or did my eyes deceive me?

Back
Top Bottom