New lifetime Federal public lands access pass for military veterans and Gold Star families

Old Crow

Searching....
There's a new Federal public lands pass.

This one is called the Military Lifetime pass and it's a new one in the series of 'America The Beautiful' recreational passes many of us are familiar with. It's free and it provides free entrance to public lands administered by multiple Federal land-management agencies. It's for veterans and Gold Star families. See the press release below for the general announcement and the FAQ for more details.

Department of Interior press release

National Parks Service Frequently-Asked-Questions page (for the Lifetime Military pass)

Edited 11/12/22 to add....

National Park Service guide to the whole series of passes. Note that in addition to the term "America the Beautiful" passes, they are also called "Interagency passes". Also, please note that here on Wander The West we often call the Senior pass a 'geezer pass'.

That guide is a good overview but the most comprehensive resource I've found on the passes is the FAQ in the USGS store. Click on the plus sign beside the pass you're interested in for answers to many questions you've (probably) not even thought of yet.

Also: Please note that one of the significant differences between the Senior passes and Military passes is that both provide for free entrance and use of what are called 'standard amenities'. But the Senior pass also provides for (some) discounts on what are called 'expanded amenities', i.e., camping, boat launches, and guided tours.

fish more said:
Thanks for posting this, alot of good info. When I got my "Lifrtime Pass" it was no charge !!
My Geezer powers of recollection tell me I got my lifetime senior pass around 5 years ago at which time the pass was scheduled to transition from free to $80. I'd turned 62 earlier in the year and the $80 charge was probably instituted after the September 30 end of the Federal Gummint's fiscal year that same year. Come to think of it, it had to have been 5 years ago since I just had my 67th and my wife is still 66, so she hadn't reached age 62 by 9/30/2017 and was thus too young for the pass when it was free. Most any use by her would be in my company, so there's not much need for her to have her own while I'm still breathing.

At any rate, we've made good use of the pass for Nat Wildlife Refuge entrance fees, US Army Corps of Engineers campground fee discounts, and Nat Forest Svc campground fee discounts. I'm glad for the nod towards veterans and Gold Star Families. I've encouraged my 35 year-old veteran son to get one and I expect he will do so before heading out West again.

Foy

Back
Top Bottom