New Member With Question.

Wasatch

Last week I bought a Four Wheel Fleet Camper for $500 that a previous owner modified to fit a full size truck. I have spent the last week gutting the camper to see how much I will have to do to get it ready for summer.

The Good:
The fridge works.
The frame and shell are good.
The windows are 100% and work.
The vents work.
It is a Four Wheel Camper.

The Bad:
The top was moldy.
The side panel is moldy.
The plywood siding was moldy.
Installation was wet.
The floor in the back was rotted.
The lift panels are shot.

The last one is what I have a question on. I was working on my lift panels and got all the wood cut then I realized that the spring hinges are not in the best of shape and the springs are rusting. Trying to be proactive and replace the hinges with new ones I found out that they are not something readily available. So I was thinking that maybe I could use gas struts for all my lifting purposes and just replace the spring hinges with regular piano hinges on the lift panels?

Thanks for your help.

Wasatch said:
Last week I bought a Four Wheel Fleet Camper for $500 that a previous owner modified to fit a full size truck. I have spent the last week gutting the camper to see how much I will have to do to get it ready for summer.

The Good:
The fridge works.
The frame and shell are good.
The windows are 100% and work.
The vents work.
It is a Four Wheel Camper.

The Bad:
The top was moldy.
The side panel is moldy.
The plywood siding was moldy.
Installation was wet.
The floor in the back was rotted.
The lift panels are shot.

The last one is what I have a question on. I was working on my lift panels and got all the wood cut then I realized that the spring hinges are not in the best of shape and the springs are rusting. Trying to be proactive and replace the hinges with new ones I found out that they are not something readily available. So I was thinking that maybe I could use gas struts for all my lifting purposes and just replace the spring hinges with regular piano hinges on the lift panels?

Thanks for your help.
Welcome to the group. You might try contacting FWC ATC for help/new hardware for the hinges. I think the hinges need to be installed
to lock them in place.
A call to Marty at ATC should be of great help.
Have fun with your "new" find.
Frank

Depending on your budget, I would just buy new. I believe they are 295.00 per panel. Marty at all terrain campers is who I'd recommend going though. Some on these boards have made their own new systems, but they seem to take a lot of work and still don't work as well as the engineered and tested system that keeps your camper up and not crashing down on you in the middle of the night

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

If you've already got the new wood cut for the lift panels, just do as the guys above suggest, call Marty or Jeff at ATC, give the length of your old spring loaded hinges and I'm sure they will cut new ones and ship them out to you. Marty & Jeff used to work at FWC before they started ATC, they know everything you'll want to know about your new to you Fleet, and if you mention the other things going on with the FWC Fleet they will help you and make suggestions. They are great at helping guys like you, that didn't buy a new ATC from them, it is just the way they are.

I would second calling ATC. I have been impressed with their help and I plan on buying new canvas and possibly lift panels from them.

I did something similar to you a few years back but my FWC wasn't as bad. I ended up taking my camper to ATC and had them do the panels and sides. Since they take the roof off for the vinyl replacement it was easier for them to do the panels and a lot faster than if I did it. The whole thing took a day. It's interesting that you realize why things are where they are inside the camper and how they are assembled as you start to take things out. I've had everything out of mine (almost) over time.

Back
Top Bottom