new panther

I'm picking up my Cougar this Sunday, Yeepee !!!. Ben was very gracious and kept me up to date on the build process with numerous photos during construction. This is just one example of the GREAT customer service that All Terrain provides. Thanks Ben. After many conversations over the phone I look forward to picking up my camper amd meeting you and the "All Star" All Terrain crew.

Marc

building campers

Dave,

Your camper is coming along. Will talk to the guys today about when we can take it up to you. Your e mail went to my spam folder and I just found it this morning. I replied but I am having some problem with mail this morning also.
Have to leave in a bit, so it will be later today when I get a date for you.

Herr,

I agree with your post. I have a ton of photos now on building the campers but they are not the greatest shots. We are just now moving into our new shop and I hope to get some better photos once we are up and running. I will put up a couple of web pages on the build process once that is done.

Marc,

Thanks a bunch for the kind words and we will see you this weekend.

I hope Iam not over loading my truck! The payload is 1380 lbs. With all my gear and loaded up with everthing and everyone it sags good in the rear.

I hope Iam not over loading my truck! The payload is 1380 lbs. With all my gear and loaded up with everthing and everyone it sags good in the rear.

I recall from a previous post you have an 05 tundra DC right? That truck has a payload of 1635 in SR5 4wd config. (see

That should leave you close to GVWR once loaded with gear, water, etc. Probably fine- at least thats what I'm hoping once I get mine.:D

I took my spring pack apart and put 3 addaleafs in each side. The truck sits nice.

My experience with GVWR on Toyotas is that the rear end sags once you get some weight on there, even if it doesn't come to the max GVWR limit. I have a 1999 tacoma w/ a shell model. This thing weighs about 550lb. When I added my equipment (another approx 500 lbs), I noticed substantial sag in the rear. I changed out the entire leaf springs on rear with heavier springs from an outfit called "Spectre off road" who sells accessories for mostly Toyotas. That took care of my problem, except when my camper is off, I have a pretty stiff ride. If I could do it again, I might install an airlift system.
Do your homework
Hayduke

I had the same sag with the T-100. The leafs were almost to negative bend. I did some research and found that "Super Springs" were touted as not sacrificing ride when the box was empty. I never tried them but it might be worth looking into before the air bag thing. I have heared some frame breaking horror stories about the bags but no first hand knowledge.

I decided to solve my problem the way Simi Mike did.

Jay

air bags are great, i used ride rite by firestone...also swapped OME 7 leaf pack for stock...a bit stiffer but i rarely drive without something in the back so i like the ride a lot...personally i would stay away from addaleafs...personal experience and comments made by others...just my .02.

frame breakage

erod i read your thread on frame breakage and found out first hand there is a problem if you load heavy and use hard. we followed the baja race course for approx 250 miles south of san felipe when we got back to paved road i saw i was setting low on passenger side(when i mean loaded,3 extra gas cans,extra
propane,kayak on roof,20 gal of water,food for 2 weeks and every thing else!)
after crawling under i found frame cracked in half and bent,this was where
firestone bracket mounted to frame. juryriged by jacking up and using breaker bar
chained and bolted to hold in place,made it home no problem.after pulling everything apart i found that the drivers side is boxed in to protect brake parts
so i ended up boxing in frame on right side.called firestone and of course they had never heard of this problem! (surprise!)repair was many miles ago no problems since ,so i would say to any one who adds airbags box in frame,any way on a tacoma 4x4 thats my story and i'm sticking to it. remember "its the journey"

thats good to know, thanks for the heads up. i have heard of tacoma's having some issues regarding frame breakage, cracking, bending, etc. one solution are the frame reinforcements offered by a number of outfits...personally, i have never had any isssues with my frame integrity or the airbags (knock on wood) and i like to think i ralley the truck a good deal (definately not the baja course however...awesome!). i guess it all comes down to what ulitmately you use the truck for and how hard you use it...the airbags have been great for my applications, i really like the adjustability aspect and for the number of units out there i haven't heard to many complaints, but just like anything there are pros and cons. just out of curiosity what do you run your air bags at when fully loaded?

air bag pressure

erod, i run 55lbs when i'm fully loaded,also i have a set of 1500lb rated helper springs and a aftermarket sway bar plus a set of adjustable shocks set on very firm .also the main thing to always remember the more weight the slower you should go so i'm always getting passed! also when it starts to get rough i always air down to 23 to25 lbs it takes some time but it sure save equipment
remember "its the journey"

thanks for the advice, thats about what i run my at fully loaded however, i am thinking i should air down a bit because it seemd like you carry a lot more wt.!...did you see my reply on you other thread about the storm windows, roof rack and rear cargo storage????:)

erod, i run 55lbs when i'm fully loaded,also i have a set of 1500lb rated helper springs and a aftermarket sway bar plus a set of adjustable shocks set on very firm .also the main thing to always remember the more weight the slower you should go so i'm always getting passed! also when it starts to get rough i always air down to 23 to25 lbs it takes some time but it sure save equipment
remember "its the journey"

Its the journey. Sometimes when I'm in a hurry I think about how long the trek I'm trying to make in hours took the settlers. Months or more, and then I slow down.

Back
Top Bottom