New (Potential Owner) needs help w/ prices

kevinmcintyre

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place but I've missed out on a few FWC Eagles and I want to jump on this if the consensus is that it's a good deal. Thanks for the input!

I've been searching for a while and found 1998 Eagle for my 2001 Dodge Dakota (Club Cab SLT 4x4, 4.7L).

My big question is assuming there's nothing wrong w/ the camper, what's a good price. I can get it for $3500. The seller isn't sure on some things but here's what (I think) I know. It's about 400 miles away so I can't "pop in" and see it.

No furnace (I think I'd like one but not sure?)
Has aux. battery
Vinyl, etc. are all good; what should I make sure to look for????
New stove - 2 burner
4 new jacks (didn't come with them when he bought it from the prev. owner; never installed)
Ice Box (no refrig)
Roof vent (1 I think)
Has all the wiring, etc.

That's about all I know. I have the s/n and will call Stan tommorrow as the owner didn't know if it had hot water?

Thanks,

Kevin

First thing that hit me was the owner is not sure of a lot of things. Is he sure of the price.
If you have been looking you have an idea of pricing. Having said that. it is what you are willing to pay.
You only go around once. If you are in doubt now, I think you have answered your own questioned.
Good luck to ya.................

I bought a 97 Ranger II fully loaded with a 3-way fridge and heater. Owner wanted $4200 and I hauled it off for $1100. It turned out to be a project and I priced it accordingly. The only reason these campers hold value is the demand, not the technology or materials. They have a niche, and its a good one. Look for any signs of water damage, this could affect the lifts, cabinets and cushions. Use your nose, if it smeels mildew, then you may have a project. Check for damage to the skin, this may indicate a cracked frame. Lift the top and check the lifts. Just like buying anything used, you need to check the operation and condition. Then after making deductions for repairs and parts, make your offer. Hope this helps and feel free to ask specific questions. -skeeter

Go look at it, have the capability to pay the $3500 with you, BUT look very carefully at what it is. The advice above is good. Use your nose, eyes, and hands and don't get carried away that 'after all this time you have found an Eagle' and you 'gotta' have it. If it is in good shape, worth the $3500. If not, do as Skeeter did and figure what it is really worth to you with whatever fixing you need to do. You do have to 'go see'.

Couldn't have hot water - FWC didn't start offering that option until 2004. Sounds like there aren't many options on this camper. The price may be a bit high since you might want to add things like a heater, fridge, fan, etc. Good luck.

Seems odd that the owner does not know if it has hot water. How long has he owned it or used it? Adding a furnace, fridge, and fan powered vent could cost well over $1000.

The folks above have offered excellent advice. 400 miles is eight hours both ways. Get as much info and photos beforehand. Sounds like you are already doing your research. Good. Best of luck!

The folks above have offered excellent advice. 400 miles is eight hours both ways. Get as much info and photos beforehand. Sounds like you are already doing your research. Good. Best of luck!

You can add a Wave 3 heater for $200 and a Coleman Stirling for $400 to cover those areas. My used Grandby had the 3 way and usual heater but I opted to ditch both. Now running solar and low demand DC appliances. The lift panels are pricey and I think the canvas/whatever sidewalls are $1000 to replace.

Back
Top Bottom