new tires - snow rating - new truck - not worry? chains?

LosAngeles

Hello all you nice people :)

I'm about to custom order a 2020 F350 4 x 4 and according to Ford the tires included are: LT275/70Rx18E BSW A/T. These are to get the E load rating on the tires needed to get 11,500 GVWR.

I am told I don’t have any choice in what tire is used by Ford - that this is what will arrive. I’m also told that Ford will use any brand of tires. No way to tell or select in advance.

The question is - what are the odds that these tires will be snow rated?

More to the point - should I actually care if they are snow rated?

I have encountered places where the tires needed to be snow rated, or you have to carry chains, IIRC. So should I just buy a set of chains and call it good?

Thanks. Just asking to learn. I will be encountering snow.

Usually AT tires are not Great but also not to bad in snow.

I live in the mountains. I purposely purchase tires that are "SnowFlake" rated, there are tires in E available with SnowFlake.
It is also mandatory to carry chains whether you have snow rated tires or not where I live. But usually at the check point the snow flake and having 4x4 gets me by without having to slap on chains...

For California take a look at CalTrans webpage -

Chain Controls

Looking at "snow thread tires," the requirements are pretty lenient.

There is a gray area on larger trucks. Take a look at R1 conditions where it mentions light trucks under 6000 lbs. I've been told twice at chain up check points that 4x4 trucks over 6000 lbs even with snow tires are required to chain up in R2 conditions. Our truck is under 6000 lbs.

All vehicles in winter in possible chain control areas are required to carry chains or cables as there is the chance conditions could go to R3 where all vehicles need chains.

Bottom line is do you want to be driving in those conditions? Ready for them, yes, of course. Pull aside, pop the top, and brew up some hot chocolate.

Many tires are M+S rated and some carry the snowflake symbol, meaning they come with more capability in those conditions. I’ve had mixed results with both and find that good siping is often the key, YMMV. For my use I want steady performance on ice (if such a thing exists ) thus my preference for the siping. Chains? In CA I always carry them (CHP WILL CHECK!) but haven’t had to use them in decades. All of my vehicles are 4WD.

If you have a preference for a specific tire maker you can often have the dealer exchange them with the stock units for a modest up charge. I never have, I run the stockers until I have an idea of the driving characteristics of the truck.

Good luck with the purchase!

Edit: Great advice posted by others as I was typing!

My bet would be the ATs will be M+S rated but likely not snowflake. If curious enough I'd look at the tires on a dealer lot or ask on a Ford forum tho understood, there are no 2020's out yet.

Whether M+S cuts it for your jurisdiction I can't say. Mine added M+S a few years back to the previous snow tires or chains on highways after Oct 1 requirement.

Chains can get you past the legal part. (I also carry them for mud). Thing is, do you want to use them ? Or, if you are relying on the tires, are they going to be suitable for the conditions. After all, you're spending how much on a rig ?

That said, the Conti ATs that came on our truck had a sorry reputation on the enthusiasts forums, "junk", "garbage", etc. We ran them 3 years and they handled everything I put them thru - including snow. If I was driving more snow I'd get a dedicated set of winter tires/wheels. That would be safest.

As Ski said "chains/cables" are required to carry and use for all in R3 conditions.
It's cheep insurance to buy a set store them some where in the truck/camper.
If you need them you have them.If you don't have them but need them your travel may be
restricted.
Remember if you are driving in a chain control area and you are required to chain up,
and don't that you will be fined a separate amount for every chain up sign you passed
if you get in a accident/get stuck in some drift.
IMO it's not worth it.Chains are cheep.
Frank

For what it is worth...I live in snow country... nasty New England at 1600 feet. lots of snow ice sleet etc... I have found over 8 years with the Cooper Discoverer E rated A/T3 does remarkably well in rain and fine for me in snow. Mind you...for those that try to drive an empty truck in winter ...nothing will help if you don't have weight in the back. I know it sounds severe but I made a platform so I can carry weight in the bed and still have a flat top to do what I need to carry. I carry a slab of 600 pounds of cement 6" deep. Good for the alignment w/o camper and essential for control in snow. I have never slid nor fishtailed. Mind you... when it gets bad nothing will be perfect... 4WD just gets you stuck in deeper snow.
BTW ... what chains are most rec'd for our trucks?

For me it's the "last mile"conundrum. I swap out my AT tires for snow tires when winter rolls around. But still... but still it's that last mile that can be problematic. The road may be unplowed dirt and snow, icy or compacted and glazed snow, steep up or down. I carry chains. I don't use them often but they sure can help get you out of a tricky situation.

Are they going to look for the snowflake rating on your tires? No. If you have MTs or ATs and 4wd they'll wave you on by. Thats my experience. In winter I'll carry chains but the only time I've been checked is once when I was towing a trailer.

Ski is right though. The one time I had to chain up my trailer I'd have been better off just finding a place to spend the night .

I have never bought a new vehicle, so i know little about the process. If you are custom ordering the truck from a dealer, maybe negotiate for the tires you want to be installed on arrival?

trout

Thanks everyone for all the great thoughts.

I am actually ordering the truck thru a broker, who then is actually working with a dealer, but it means zero dealer “negotiations”. But I save tons of money and zero hassle. Have done this a few times before. Highly recommended. Perhaps not for everyone.

Anyway - so I will get chains - for just in case - but will try to avoid using them.

Any recommendations for chains that won’t break if I use them, but are cost effective? Also self tightening and easy to install.

Thanks.

Pretty sure that your 4x4 350 will have enough weight to plow thru all kinds of snow conditions (not counting ice)! I'd probably just get chains that work for a tire size and wheel size that you are likely to move to if you have any ideas on that already.

Not sure about you, but I could not wait to burn off the OEM meat and get into a new wheel tire set-up. Seemed lame that I'd end up buying another set of chains that I'd probably never use - So I carried my Honda's chains to show Highway Patrol if needed.

Probably sounds nuts, and I would not advise you to be unsafe - But I traveled about 4K miles in huge snow (Sierras/Rockies) during a pineapple express storm in 2017. Every state that I went to got a fresh dump during my travel and I never once had an issue - Moreover, I did this with half burn't oem A/T meats (some past the sipes). At some point between Sun Valley and Jackson Hole I was paving treads 1-2 feet of powder for hours.

Unless you end up with some garbage A/T's, in really big mounds > 2ft of unkept roads, I'd bet the weight of your front end will compensate through most conditions excluding ice.

All that said, maybe you find yourself in a unique situation like mud, ice or California R3's and all of that which needs to be conquered - If all you got is a bag of Honda chains, maybe you can spend the night in your Four Wheel Camper! Best of luck-

HughDog said:
Not sure about you, but I could not wait to burn off the OEM meat and get into a new wheel tire set-up. Seemed lame that I'd end up buying another set of chains that I'd probably never use - So I carried my Honda's chains to show Highway Patrol if needed.
Haha, I love this. Bet there's nothing in the regs that say the chains carried have to actually fit ! Sure, perhaps not in the spirit of the law but hey, if one's primary is compliance and lowest cost ...

fwiw, an owner could drive their brand new truck to a tire shop and do a trade in. Heck, some shops will do mobile right to the dealer lot. Might lose the truck tire warranty tho.

I am so ambivalent about chains or cables. Now in my mid-60's, and being raised in Montana, Utah and Idaho, I have been in lots of different snow conditions over the years. I have never had to chain or cable up, and never bought 'snow' tires. Lucky or foolish, I don't know. But when we get our Hawk in January for the Tundra i am debating getting chains. Not sure. I know how to put them on, having helped other people do so. But weight and space seem better used for other things. Hmmm...

Re: chains and tire size matching up. Once, and only once, I had a Chipper actually check the tag on the chain bag and my tires. Hwy 18 heading to Big Bear, icy road conditions, mini vans strewn all over the place.

With newer vehicles it is especially important to double check that the chains do not interfere with break lines and sensors. The spacing behind the wheel is getting smaller as the years go by (new F-350 should be fine). I used to live and work on a mountain pass and have seen brake lines and sensor lines ripped by chains and socks. I carry chains in my personal vehicles but have only used them off road. I may know somebody that passes their tow chain off as a tire chain.

I have put chains on my F-450 plow and they gave me more grip then I had on dry pavement, my transmission can attest to that.

Just don't get auto socks. Those things are worthless and down right dangerous.

And do yourself a favor actually instal the chains after purchasing to make sure they match the tag and fit. Also to make sure you know how they go on when there is not a blizzard. Bought some that were wrong model inside package.

Les schwab will buy back the chains at end of season if not used.

Back
Top Bottom