New to the Forum: Considering FWC Hawk

Texan76

Greetings everyone! Welcome to my first post. I have been a lurker here for quite a while. I am very impressed by the vast amount of knowledge in this community, as well as what seems like a bunch of great people. I decided to go ahead and join this forum. I have yet to purchase a camper or do a real expedition yet, but I am hoping to soon change that.

A little background about me. I live in North Central Texas. I am looking to do some traveling and camping, and am wanting the freedom from having to book motels, yet am way past sleeping on the ground in a tent. I want to be in nature, but want to do so in relative comfort. I also go to motorcycle rallies, which a truck camper would be perfect for. No big long toy hauler to manuever in tight places. In addition I wanted the ability to dry camp/ boondock. Most rally sites do not have hookups, and if they do, you better reserve in advance and get ready to pull out the pocketbook. Also, there are many wonderful state parks in my area that have tent sites but no RV sites.

I intially began exploring full featured truck campers (years ago, I had a Fleetwood Elkhorn and loved it). After much research and looking at Lance's, Arctic Fox, etc., etc., I began to think "Why spend all that money on a bunch of luxuries that I will probably never use?" I would spend most of my day outside and only in the camper for sleeping, showering, and maybe cooking if the weather was bad. Also, these campers are top heavy, would require massive suspension adjustments (I own a 2004 Chevy 2500 HD), and cost an arm and leg. I ran across this forum and began to read about FWC and ATC and the freedom these campers allow, not to mention the great reputation they have in their build quality and craftsmanship.

When I made up my mind on getting one of these campers, I had to start thinking about how I was going to use it. In my area of Texas, there is not much terrain or off road sightseeing to do. Most, if not all, of my camping will consist of tent sites at state parks, lakes, or at a flat rally campground; however, in the future, I might want to take my vacation to Colorado, New Mexico, etc., and have the need for extended stays and more rugged capability.

I eventually narrowed it down to two manufacturers, ATC and FWC. I chose the latter due to the greater amount of options offered from the factory. It was a hard choice. I preferred the price point of ATC, as well as the greater width of the Panther, but it all comes down to more options availability. Hence, I am going with a FWC Hawk when I am ready.

I have mapped out most of what I want, but some options I am undecided. I have read numerous threads here to gain insight, but still have some research to do in order to appropriately equip my camper.

I looked at the different layouts of the Hawk. I liked the self-contained model, due to having the basic inside shower. Now, most campsites have showers, so it would not get much use; however, at the rallies it would be great to have a shower since there usually aren't facilities. In addition, some state parks do not have showers. The only problem with this floorplan is that there is no way to install an air conditioner. I spoke to Steve at FWC, as well as the dealer in Denver, and they stated that due to design, no a/c can be accomodated. In light of this, I had to choose the a/c over the shower. It's miserable in the hot Texas summer if you don't have it. Always seem likes there's compromises to everything.

So, so far, I am going with a standard FWC Hawk with rollover couch and A/C option in the back window. I like the couch option. My wife and I are both 6' plus, so the side dinette looks too small.

As far as options, here is my thinking so far:

1. Camper jacks - Self Explanatory

2. Refrigerators - Much thought went into this. I liked the 3 way design to allow the propane to run the fridge and not drain batteries. After reading on here and watching the FWC fridge video, I have decided to go with the 2-way compressor fridge option instead. It seems the 3-way does not like unlevel surfaces and is more tempermental in great ambient temperature spreads.

3. Furnace - Most of the weather we camp in would normally not require a furnace. On the other hand, you might get a cold front come through in the fall and drop the temps from the 70's at night to the 30's. Also, if I ever get to make it to the higher altitudes, I will need it. I have read a lot on here about catalytic heaters, but have decided the low amp draw is not worth the risks involved. I will go with a vented furnace. I read on Truck Camper Magazine that FWC is offering a furnace called Propex that uses much less amps. I would be interested in that heater if they have it available, otherwise it will be the standard Atwood.

4. Fantastic Fan - Seems like this is a must have. I like the idea of using it while sleeping to provide some ventilation when the temps are warm but might not require the use of the a/c at night.

5. Screen door - Another must.

6. Side Awning w/ light - Definately need the shade here!

7. LED interior lights - low amp draw

8. Aux battery system w/ 2 batteries - A necessity for dry camping.

Now, here are the things I am undecided on and haven't figured out yet. Please feel free to chime in if you have some advice.

1. Hot water heater with outside shower - Obviously, I will need to shower outside at times if there is no facility. This option would cure that, on the other hand, it takes up valuable interior storage space, plus it is an expensive option. I have read on here that many folks use a shower like the duckworks. As little as I would need to shower outside (since many places have facilities), the portable shower products might be the better option. I can always heat water on the stove if needed. Unsure on this though at the present time.

2. Extra roof vent - I read on here that everyone says this is a must, but I'm not sure why. It seems that with all the windows, plus one vent fan above the bed should be plenty for adequate ventilation.

3. Yakima tracks - Considering getting these as a just-in-case. I don't see the need for extra storage, as we have a crew cab truck, plus I plan on getting a hitch mounted carrier for extras. On the other hand, I might need it if I ever do a long trip or in the unlikely event of a canoe purchase.

4. Rear wall steps - Necessary if I get the Yakima tracks.

5. Roof lift assist struts - I have read on here how I might need these if i had a solar panel or store gear on the roof. It seems that the struts in the cabover would be obtrusive. I am 6'4", wife is 6', and I'm afraid they would get in the way. I am in my late 30's, fairly fit, so not sure if i would need these to help lift the roof?

6. Solar - This has been my biggest dilemma. I have read numerous threads on here regarding this subject. I know my biggest draw will be the fridge and the very occasional furnace use, but I will most likely not be sitting in one place for more than 3 days. In addition, a generator will be necessary for running my a/c, so I'm wondering if that is sufficient for maintaining the battery charge. Will a Yamaha 2000 inverter gen charge the batteries quickly, or will it take all day? Will the fridge and just nightly furnace use deplete the batteries in 3 days before I fire up the truck and drive? These are the things I cannot figure out, but the decision would need to be made prior to purchase. I do not feel comfortable drilling holes to install my own panel after the fact. My only other option would be to get the solar plug and buy the folding portable panel, but do I really want to take up valuable storage space and have the hassle of setting it up? These are all things that have my mind swarming.

I apologize for this long first post. Hope I haven't put anyone to sleep. :)

I look forward to reading more here and learning from all of you. This seems to be a great place to interact.

Ahhhhh, another member on the hook to join our family of proud owners...

First off Texan76, welcome to the forum - I'm sure you will get plenty of help on here in one way or another.

Second, my bet is that you'll be spending some long nights reviewing some of the informative threads on here!

Next, all I can say is that there are plenty of threads on here that will help you answer many of the questions you pose above. Another member on here BWHT4x4 (AKA Dwayne) recently posted some of the same questions, and you may be able to get some valuable answers from off of his thread. Like him, you're attempting to get valuable insight from current owners before handing off your hard earned money to the FWC folks. Don't fret, you're doing the right thing. Ask around, get opinions, become educated, and you will eventually be able to make an informed financial decision to best meet your 'wandering' needs!

I would like to say a few things to give my <----clicky worth.

From your undecided list:
#1- Get it, your significant other will be glad you did so you (both) can wash
#2- Naw, IMHO just reach up and open a soft side window, you'll save your cash
#3- Good option, although I got the luggage rack and extra canoe bar option
#4- Heck yes, they do it up right too (solid)
#5- Save your cash. There is a thread on here that you can install them yourself for 75 bucks
#6- Save your cash. Although the Yami 2000 is a bit big to lug around... Many on here will disagree with me, citing something like lowering your carbon footprint or puking out emissions or something. (I have a Honda 1000, nice and small, charges the batteries just fine, runs 8hrs on 1/2 gal.)

You'll get plenty of ideas (and opinions) on here from other, very intelligent, and well traveled men and women. After you get the Hawk, you'll be accessing some of the best, and most hidden spots in the country - that you'd have never thought to take your toy hauler!

Have fun in your quest, and don't forget to talk to BWHT4x4!

- Roof Lift Assist Strut thread here <-----clicky ETAV8R outlines it well with his finch, then read on for my Hawk install
- Bwht4x4's thread here <-----clicky

Kilroy edited to add helpful links and cool little beer drinking smileys!

[SIZE=10pt] ...................\|||/..........................[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt].................(@@).........................[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]_____ooO_( )_Ooo________________________[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|__|[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]___|____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|____|[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]_____|_KILROY_WAS_HERE_|___|____|____| [/SIZE]

Tex, hello from another newbie. We're waiting (anxiously) for our Granby to be built and delivered. On the topic of power, find out what the current draw is on your AC, then check the ratings of the generators your considering. Like Kilroy said, If you can get by with a Honda or Yamaha 1000, they're sure a lot lighter than the 2000 models.

Since you're getting the Yakima racks, you could mount your panel on the racks. I'm going to go out on a limb here and make an assumption... Even when in the disconnect mode, most campers/RVs have a parasitic drain that will run batteries flat over time. Things like gas leak detectors and CO monitors are always on. My Airstream will run the batteries down in about three weeks if not hooked to shore power or solar (which we installed). Long story, short... Get solar is my opinion.

For a shower, take a look at the Zodi showers. They're pretty versatile.

Steve

Thanks for the tip Kilroy. I read the forum you mentioned and got some good info.

Sagebrush, as far as the drain on the battery, is there not a battery disconnect with the aux battery system that will isolate the battery from all loads when activated?

FYI, after you get comfortable with the 'air' in the camper under certain situations you can always wire the CO2 detector to one of the blanks in the switch panel about 4" from it. The price of a new switch is about $5 from FWC. On the hot days with all windows open, just turn it off and save the drain... works well for my dry camping needs for multiple days with no dead battery issues. In the winter, with the furnace and buddy burning (vented of course) I always keep it on.

I just ordered my Hawk and don't have it yet, but one thing to consider is getting all options that would be very hard to install at a later date (e.g. rear wall steps, solar plug, furnace, water heater, etc). This is what I did and we'll see how that pans out once I get it.

Kilroy was a ton of help to me and answered my numerous questions over and over again. Take his advice and I'm sure you'll be fine. Thanks again Kilroy.

My dad lives SW of Houston and I couldn't even imagine camping in a FWC in the summer, in Texas, without an A/C. The summer heat at his house day or night is incredible. Then again I live 600 feet from the ocean where a 75 degree day is a hot day and 85 degree day is brutally hot!

I'll be getting mine some time in January and will be sure to offer up my opinions on options after I get a couple of trips under my belt.

I don't have the outside shower, but I wish I did. Setting up and taking down my outside shower is a hassle. I rarely camp at campgrounds with showers.

I doubt you'll need struts unless you have something on the roof. If you have anything on the roof, you will need the struts. This is a tough one because I agree with you - the interior struts look like they would be in the way.

I was surprised how often I used the heater, if only for 5 minutes in the morning.

I would get solar, but I don't run an air conditioner. If you don't get solar, be sure to get the camper wired for solar. I found the camper is much smaller than I thought it would be and it didn't take long before I started shedding rarely used items. You might find the generator falls in this category when you don't have to run the A/C. That's when you'll be happy you have solar.

I would get the rear steps even if you never plan to put anything on the roof. It is amazing how many uses there are for the steps that don't involve climbing.

Espresso said:
I don't have the outside shower, but I wish I did. Setting up and taking down my outside shower is a hassle. I rarely camp at campgrounds with showers.

I doubt you'll need struts unless you have something on the roof. If you have anything on the roof, you will need the struts. This is a tough one because I agree with you - the interior struts look like they would be in the way.

I was surprised how often I used the heater, if only for 5 minutes in the morning.

I would get solar, but I don't run an air conditioner. If you don't get solar, be sure to get the camper wired for solar. I found the camper is much smaller than I thought it would be and it didn't take long before I started shedding rarely used items. You might find the generator falls in this category when you don't have to run the A/C. That's when you'll be happy you have solar.

I would get the rear steps even if you never plan to put anything on the roof. It is amazing how many uses there are for the steps that don't involve climbing.
I understand the storage issue. Since I don't plan on storing the genny inside the camper, I planned on getting a hitch mounted cargo carrier to put it on, along with the ice chest and a gas can.

Texan76 said:
Thanks for the tip Kilroy. I read the forum you mentioned and got some good info.

Sagebrush, as far as the drain on the battery, is there not a battery disconnect with the aux battery system that will isolate the battery from all loads when activated?

I believe that state certification requires the C0 and gas leak detectors to be connected to the always hot battery bus, so there is always a parasitic load. It's that way on my Caribou, and on my Airstream. As I said, I suspect it is that way on the FWC campers as well. You can always disconnect the ground lead when stored, or if my suspicion is correct, move the power leads for the detectors to the other side of the disconnect switch. Personally, I wouldn't do that.

I just saw Kilroy's comment, where he did move the detector leads. It sounds like he knows what he's doing, but I would prefer to just keep the batts topped off with solar.

As far as the comments on the size and bulk of the Yamaha 2000:

I have heard that the 1000 is not enough for even a 5,000 btu a/c unit. Evidently, the 1000 does not have enough to get it started. It could theoretically run it once started, but cant handle the start up power requirement. Also, I dont think a 1000 watter could power a coffee maker, could it? I think they run 1200 - 1500 watts. I guess I could always do the perculator if I had to.

I suspect the genny should keep the batteries up just fine considering how long its going to running to keep you nice and cool. Pretty good choices so far. Btw, Welcome to WTW.

Wandering Sagebrush said:

I believe that state certification requires the C0 and gas leak detectors to be connected to the always hot battery bus, so there is always a parasitic load. It's that way on my Caribou, and on my Airstream. As I said, I suspect it is that way on the FWC campers as well. You can always disconnect the ground lead when stored, or if my suspicion is correct, move the power leads for the detectors to the other side of the disconnect switch. Personally, I wouldn't do that.

I just saw Kilroy's comment, where he did move the detector leads. It sounds like he knows what he's doing, but I would prefer to just keep the batts topped off with solar.
I think you're right about the manufacturer specifically wiring the CO2 that way, but now that I'm the owner, I'll make sure to tell any state or federal regulations enforcement officers to politely 'bug off'- if and when they ever visit my camp and inspect the way my wiring is configured! I doubt they would ever notice, even if they were to come out and inspect my camper - for the record, I'm being facetious! I'm sure FWC knows that we modify these units, equally I'm sure that they make sure they are in compliance and safe when they leave the factory. It's up to us to modify heavily to suit our needs.

I'm sure my wiring helps very little with the battery draw, but combined with some other things may help me stay another day or two without charging up. Since I got the solar plug, someday I may fork out the bucks for the panels and such. That would indeed be a good idea, just not right now (for me).

craig333 said:
I suspect the genny should keep the batteries up just fine considering how long its going to running to keep you nice and cool. Pretty good choices so far. Btw, Welcome to WTW.
True, and when I make it out to "Wander the West", I assume I will be moving place to place daily and the truck will keep everything charged.

EU1000i will run a coffee pot, that's all it's got though - for a normal smaller wally-world brand.

Following up on your comment on coffee. We use a Melita filter system that allows us to make coffee directly into a Stanley thermos. Quick, easy, no mess, and the coffee stays hot. Much easier than a percolator, and no need for AC power.

I'm leaning toward a Yamaha 2000 watt genny over the solar just for the convenience of being able to use it at home for an emergency or if I need to run power tools away from an outlet.

In time though I'm sure I'll get a solar system too as I paid for the plug.

BTW, we make coffee every morning at home using a Melitta filter and we think it's the best coffee you can make. Very dark and no sediment. We already have a coffee filter cone for the new Hawk once it gets here.

Bwht4x4 said:
... Stuff clipped....

BTW, we make coffee every morning at home using a Melitta filter and we think it's the best coffee you can make. Very dark and no sediment. We already have a coffee filter cone for the new Hawk once it gets here.
Look for the number 6 filter cone that has the long neck. It fits directly into the thermos. We use that for all our travels.

I got thrown a curveball today. I called my local credit union to inquire about financing for the Hawk. They finance RV's, but FWC is not listed in their loan book as a manufacturer. Does FWC have a different corporate name? If not, why would they not be listed? If I can't get a loan for the camper, I won't be getting one as soon as I had hoped. :-(

Tex, sorry about the bad news! I'd give Steve G or Stan K at FWC a call to get a direct answer to that question. Hopefully you'll get the information you need.

Back
Top Bottom