New Truck

Mike,
A friend has a '06 CTD and now that it has 20K miles hes getting 21 to 23 mpg. He, as do I, run 20% to 30% bio in it but I dont think that should change the milage it just makes us feel better.

The best thing is i cant think of one thing I dont like about this truck. Do you have cruise control on yours?
Jay

Jay,
I have cruise control, But I have to keep the speed at 64MPH (1800RPM)to get the 18MPG. I get the worst mileage of everybody I know with a CTD. A friend has the same year, tranny, and rear end as me and he is getting mileage like yours. His is 2WD so I'm thinking (hoping) that my 4X4 and factory off road tires are the reason for my poor mileage. That and the 20k mile break in period. I have heard that to properly break in these engines you should drive it like you stole it. Well after working overtime every Saturday for three years to buy this thing, I drive like grandpa in a CrownVic with a contiguously blinking turn signal.
When the tires need replacing I will go with a more highway biased tread to try to get one or two miles more per gallon.
Before I bought the diesel I did some calculations and figured it would take me about 65K miles to break even on the cost of the diesel engine. That was figured with diesel fuel at the same price of regular gasoline.

I'm running an '02 Dodge CTD 4x4 and find that speed has a lot to do with the mileage I get. The best it ever did was 21 mpg keeping the speed around 60. I normally drive 70+ and the mpg drops to 18. All that was before I put the Grandby on. Now it's down to the high 15s. I believe part of the problem is the new ULSD fuel we're now getting.
Anyway it's still better than a gasser and I love not having to slow down or downshift on a hill.:)

Mines an 04 and it gets twice the mileage my old chevy did.
That said, the cummins has so much power, its hard to drive for mileage. I an accelerate uphill and it seems to love to do about 75 on the freeway. However, I do see the mpg drop radically the faster I go. If I could get myself to drive 60 I think I'd gain 5mpg. City driving is also much worse than highway driving.

Mpg

Camelracer,
There is nothing odd with your truck then. The average drop with a camper is 2 to 3 MPG.

I'm losing about 4 to 5 mpg on my 04 Tundra Double Cab with my Hawk on.

I wanted a diesel, but the wife really had a problem with the noise and the Tundra has been a really nice truck.

Thought a diesel would be worth it for just the milage, but that's when it used to be cheaper than gas. Now you can't even find it the same price, but 30 to 40 cents more. (What is with the price?) Pay back is really out there now.

Dave

I'm losing about 4 to 5 mpg on my 04 Tundra Double Cab with my Hawk on.

I wanted a diesel, but the wife really had a problem with the noise and the Tundra has been a really nice truck.

Thought a diesel would be worth it for just the milage, but that's when it used to be cheaper than gas. Now you can't even find it the same price, but 30 to 40 cents more. (What is with the price?) Pay back is really out there now.

Dave

Just an interesting note on Diesel prices: in our area Biodiesel B20 is actually cheaper than straight diesel. Anyone else seeing that?

I can't get biodiesel here, but regular diesel is fifteen cents a gallon cheaper than gas here right now.

If you remember the old noisy diesels, you really need to go look at the new ones. They've made them a lot quieter now.

Diesel prices...

Just a note here about price....I noticed in Mexico, Belize and Guatamala that diesel was significantly cheaper than gasoline. As much as $.50 a gallon. In all but Belize, gasoline cost us on an average of $2.40 US a gallon. In Belize it was right close to $5.00 a gallon with diesel at $4.50. There were almost no gasoline vehicles in Belize...in fact guys from there come here and buy older small diesel vehicles and take them home to sell.
The problem that I saw was that the diesel sold in all those places has a much higher sulpher content than ours and the vehicles all emit smoke more than here...granted, there are a lot of high mileage, worn out motors there as well but I saw a lot of newer vehicles emitting black smoke.
I have an idea that our higher standards for diesel fuel here is making it cost more....that of course is giving the profiteers the benefit of the doubt.:rolleyes:
Brian

Guys,
Bio is about $3.10 in Ventura. The cheapest regular diesel yesterday was $2.79. It is at least 30 cents cheaper in AZ where I'm headed next week.

I'm like Mike I set the cruise on 64 and let everybody pass me but like Craig its hard not to use all that power and torque once in a while. I tend to drive faster coming home from a trip then when I'm going.

This is the first real truck I've owned. Before it was Toyotas and Nissans. Both great trucks but nothing like this Dodge. I really love it.

Jay

It may be a bit childish, but it sure is fun when I'm towing my Jeep up a steep grade and see someone get in the fast lane to pass me, just assuming I'll slow down, and just accelerate a little bit :D

Chnlisle,
Where are you finding diesel in Ventura for $2.79? The cheapest I found in Goleta today was $3.25. I'm heading down there in a couple of days and need to fill up - especially at that price. At least most diesel is now the same price or cheaper than regular as it should be.

Craig333,
I had the same thing happen when I was leading a group from our Jeep club. A guy in his CJ pulled out to pass me at the base of a grade thinking that I would slow down. Didn't happen - never even came out of cruise control. Pulling a load on a hill was allways a challenge until I discovered Cummins power.

The Thrifty station on Gonzales & Ventrua Rd not Ave had the ceapest diesel but its up to 2.99 today. Its still cheaper than gas for the first itme since last year but it aint exactly free!! You might check out htis site.

www.venturagasprices.com/

Jay

Chnlisle,
Thanks for the reference on fuel prices. That's a great site. I know the prices seem to change daily but it's good to know where diesel is available.

Back
Top Bottom