No Destination : hoyden and two dogs hit the road full-time

Squatch - It's been pretty amazing, actually. I don't re-roll, nor do I manipulate the dice, but (so far and knock on wood), they seem to roll in the directions my gut is telling me to go.

I'm not caught up yet - made it to New Orleans yesterday and staying at my cousin-who-is-like-a-sister's apartment right near the Quarter. (which, honestly, I'm not a big fan of - smells like pee and too many tourists/tourist shops) but it's great visiting with my cousin and her husband!

Accidental tourist

It was a accident that I happened upon it - I was taking a detour off a highway and thought the road went through. Instead, I ended up at the site visitors center. This was a successful navigation mistake.

The Moundville Archaeological Site near Tuscaloosa, Alabama isn't huge, but very interesting. The museum is worth the time.

But I'm getting ahead of myself.

Heading south, I had some noisy neighbors and a poor night of sleep at Land Between the Lakes. I skedaddled after breakfast and made my way to the Bankhead National Forest, Alabama. On my route I saw a whole bunch of deer and a couple of buffalo. Fun!

thumb_P1010391_1024-deer.jpg

thumb_P1010393_1024-buffalo.jpg

I also passed a few of these large furnaces. "Built around 1832 by Woods, Yeatman & Co. as part of the Cumberland Iron Works, Bear Spring Furnace was an important producer of charcoal iron. Furnaces such as these were kept in operation around the clock, turning local brown hematite ore into molten metal. In 1850 alone, Bear Spring was responsible for the production of over 2000 tons of metal."

thumb_P1010396_1024.jpg

Alabama has little Verizon cell service, at least along the twisty two-lane blacktop I drove through the state.

There is easy boondocking here and I found a spot that is used by hunters. These trailers were set up, but had no signs of activity. It looked like people just find a flat spot and camp, so I did the same. My neighbor was a retired RN, John.

thumb_P1010403_1024.jpg

John has been living in his sedan for the past few years and is remarkably content. A few years back, he tried to walk to Alaska from the east coast, but knee gave out so he only made it a couple of hundred miles. He has wanted to be traveler since kid, and made it overseas a few times. He owns 8 acres about 100 miles south of here, but because of a newborn grandson he doesn't travel far from this location.

He invited me to join him at his campfire, so after I ate dinner, I pulled up my camp-chair and we chatted until dark. With a twinkle in his eye he asked if I'd been visited buy travel fairies. I asked him what are those? He said they were people who left items for him like a good map, or a steak, and one person left him a new Leatherman tool. I recognize a shake down when I see one, but I was okay with it. In the morning I packed up long after sunrise and he was still not up. I assume he was waiting for me to leave so I would have the opportunity to slip a token onto his camp chair. I left a tin of good quality Earl Grey tea. I considered a small fee for his sharing of his fire and good conversation last night.

I avoid the main highways as much as possible, and try to stay on the blue highways - the little two-lane roads that slowly go through towns, instead of jetting by on the outskirts. In my quest to stay off the big road, I followed my truck navigation to what I thought was a road around a park. Instead, I turned into the Moundville Archaeological Site visitor's center parking lot. After talking with the nice young woman inside, I paid the $7 fee, got a map, and set off.

Pugsly wanted to sleep, so Argos and I did some exploring.

thumb_P1010405_1024.jpg

thumb_P1010406_1024.jpg

thumb_P1010409_1024.jpg

thumb_P1010411_1024-Mounds-view.jpg

Our last stop there was to the Jones Archaeological Museum. It's well worth the price of admission.

thumb_P1010418_1024.jpg

thumb_P1010419_1024.jpg

thumb_P1010420_1024.jpg

It's not always good to <a href="http://theweek.com/articles/464674/8-drivers-who-blindly-followed-gps-into-disaster" target="_blank">blindly trust navigation software </a> but on occasion it can render a happy accident.

Your report reminded me of the time I "discovered" Cahokia Mounds near East St. Louis by accident. Had never heard of it- turns out it is a UNESCO World Heritage site! Enjoyed a fascinating visit to the museum, climbed the big mound and learned a lot. Who knew there was a city of 40,000 people there in 1200 CE?!

Thanks for your writings about your travels. Makes for good winter reading (but does induce some cabin fever). :)

I grew up not too far from Cahokia, and my mom is an Anthropologist, I knew about some of the mounds (we went to some 3000 year old ones in Ireland in 2000! Neat!) but I had no idea that these existed! Such a cool accident!

Yep, Cahokia has been on my radar for some time. It's an amazing site!

You should talk to Missing Link. I know they were there last year and since he's a retired archaeology professor I think should be able to give you some good insight.

P1010619-in-flight.jpg

February 7, 2017
Fort Walton Beach, Florida

I will dream of this ocean and of it’s beautiful unyielding song when I am locked away in a florescent cubicle in the middle of America.

I will dream of this ocean and of it’s beautiful unyielding song when I am chasing my ideals down two-lane highways lined with&nbsp;forest.

I will dream of this ocean when I am lying unable to sleep in a stuffy bedroom on the third floor of a brick walk-up with the sounds of ambulance sirens bouncing off the walls.

I will dream of this ocean when I am picking up dog excrement from the hot sidewalk next to a strong and resolute weed tree that has pushed its way towards the sun through a crack in the concrete.

I will dream of this ocean when my eyes close for the last time and I join its beautiful unyielding song.

Did you see the Buffalo's and Elk at LBL?

Gotta love a boat ride of any kind. But dang those air boats are LOUD! I always thought they were cool till I heard one on the river once. You could hear it coming for miles. Makes my loud outboard jet seem quiet.

Hi Squatch!

The Buffalo and Elk were after I was leaving LBL, but right in that area, yes. Too many tourists there for my taste tho.

The air boat was really loud! Luckily, "ears" were provided! I don't think it would have been as much fun if I hadn't had hearing protection. Whoa.

Odd.
They show for me. lemme check on another browser
checked on Safari and yep - not showing up. hm.
---

Deleted posts. Fixing.

When I was in Jr. High my dad and I took a trip to New Orleans. A friend of his was getting married. We stayed in a classic New Orleans balconied apartment for our visit on St. Charles. I don't remember much from that trip except that the trolley ran by our building, there were very large plants, and the air was sultry and smoky.

I'd been there a few times since and was never crazy about the place. So much of the Quarter (and other areas) smells like pee. I've never had a desire to go to Mardi Gras, mostly because of the close proximity of thousands of drunken tourists. Last time I was there was for my cousin (who-is-like-a-sister)'s wedding. It was fun, and other than a boat swamp tour complete with a little 'gator onboard, it could have been anywhere. It was fun being a tourist in The Big Easy last week, and for the first time I saw what my cousin sees in the place.

P1010490.jpg

P1010493-D-and-A.jpg

One of my favorite quotes hangs on the wall of this famous old house, now hotel (of course, I don't remember the name of the hotel)

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
~ T. Roosevelt

P1010499-dare-mighty-things.jpg

I'm a terrible tourist and an even worse tour-guide.
This is a famous building. I forget what it's name is though.
I took the photo because I thought it was a neat looking building, it wasn't until my cousin told me the next day when we walked past it together that I found out it was famous. Ha!

P1010476-building.jpg

Monument to the Immigrant

P1010478-Immigrant-2.jpg

P1010479-Immigrant-1.jpg

Beautiful Library!

P1010485-library.jpg

And a few shots from my thoroughly fun AirBoat Swamp tour!

P1010504-ears.jpg

P1010537-gator-hide.jpg

Our Captain!

P1010541-captn.jpg

My spouse and I lived on St. Charles for a time back in the early 70s. Fond memories, although I'm with you on the downsides. Mostly remember really good food and music and cool architecture. Quite a bit of history too. There was a huge flood the year we were there- the MIssissippi went wherever it wanted to go that year.

Back
Top Bottom