No Destination : hoyden and two dogs hit the road full-time

allanb said:
Glad your seeing some country!
If you can answer, THAT, question, how to make a living doing something that you like, where you like, it would be monumentally earth shaking, and make you millions!
How about part time, or overtime work? Just working the overtime gigs, one half the year, is only way I have kept it going.....
Ha! Bottle it up and sell it....

Unfortunately, I skedaddled from South Carolina back to my mom's in southern Illinois so I could better deal with jobby job stuff. Would start in early April. I'm not enthused, can you tell? Ha! I miss the ocean already!

What is "overtime work" ???

buckland said:
Walking the spiritual path with practical feet...what my dad said... is hard but if you can ...do the job with the heart...less money maybe but way better. If you have to do work you hate to get by...do it... but always search the one that makes you happy.
Your dad said wise words! I don't mind less money, but I'm not very good with not knowing when next money.

Whew you've been doing some driving!
X2, by the way , in " a future with the written word" :)
In my case, construction or infrastructure,and big commercial or industrial company's. Whenever they have something needs doing, they schedule the work 5-6- or 7 days a week, 10 or more hours a day. Twice the work, and money, in 1/2 the time.

Yeah, I cannonballed across from SC. In retrospect, I had time to go to Richmond after all and visit friends, but I got kinda anxious about this all... I still am! But at least I have a solid place from which to work this all out. I've been helping my mom and stepdad get their poolhouse set up for an AirB&B (damn that all sounds so luxurious!). I'm their tech person, so I set up the wifi, and Google Home, and Smart TVs, etc.... Plus cleaning and whatever else they need that I can do.

I wish I could do construction or carpentry! I wouldn't mind getting away from computery stuff. I just happened to pick up tech quickly and easily a while back, so it's the work I do....

Thanks for the kudos on the writing! Wonder what I could do there... hmmmmmm.

Wish the dogs were any help, but they just give me funny looks.

MSw4eQDzWC-t5gOdp7_6qj3rvm3mYDUii04pzQeLkAJUDKdCpwn4TTe0UhJ9gbwdz5BqIbxHY9DDA5g0URmjnHTOb9PA_cJhPQIFqCCnix-T19Ybwfs3f0ndmW7OmNUi4geJACb2q8jjJYwwtkcRRjVMgRfHdIUbgUh2r2w5Fyckm8QqUMTHV8xyLqXEB4AthwEhFMOTcrk16pwAxMO1K1ub4e_uP0isxxnPTLGnC3kHyVbIM0G1UMhzzEtXy-GEjzYaRE1sMLPaDGTXcPKlxRzXCJxrH6pFlYwidp1iisnaN_zG_ZcK93Tpw2tL9GtM8L9E_UDAa3ckY8cfzvhBnDXyOp1Zyjxw9c0KNhwow8u9uVT5GbFxbRRRa-Q67v3VJ2-IyUl0xrBH0INE7v6E42ow7j0m-VyoPhlVLt_Udoofcgi17WpH6norWcC89ixZ21nDMyDTqL1Fg03caqbj1oUZrTedeChMnEWzFSuWkLa-LU-Y7aDiTGcqChd4MtSp4F5yWqY3h-mqtj_4-DDbYPkyV91-hyrS4_bkdVVH5cIHVXAVyLLNAz3DP52YNL_fGrV2SUaFXGjSzX7IjOGcLTQtEHMObCiZA_D6moFoXBMVWn-wrkrsUA=w2688-h1520-no

Been a little while. Sorry abt that. Currently camped at City of Rocks State Park, NM. Been better at throwing pics up on my Facebook and Instagram sites than writing last few... I've got a lot to say in scribbles and notes, but haven't had as much downtime as I usually like to put words to paper. And not via my cell phone, as I am now.

I'll get y'all caught up soon. Reader's Digest version: still fretting abt work stuff, the more time I spend 'out here' the less patience I have for city shenannigans.

There's an owl hooting outside.

Head down to Baja. You could stay down there quite a while! You'd need to get Mexican Insurance, etc. though.

Before I left Carbondale (Illinois) last weekish, high school best friends mom did a 'reading' for me. She's the least likely person you'd think would do this, and apparently she doesn't really remember these kind of Frances she goes into, but according to my friend, mom has been giving them readings since they were kids and its always been spot on.

Anyway, in the reading she did for me, she saw me in Baja with a good community for a while. And happy.

Could be next week, could be in ten years. Who knows.

Regarding your "jobby job" dilemma . . . . does teaching have any appeal to you? Many find it to be a most rewarding endeavor, and it provides a fair amount of time to travel, or pursue other things that are of interest to you. Over the years, the "ski3pins" have probably posted more trip reports on this site than anyone and I believe that their travels are facilitated by Mr. Ski's job flexibility and "the Lady's" career in teaching.

Heading to Kofa National Wildlife Refuge on Monday, then I think over to Prescott to get my bicycle sometime later that week, then meander somewhere Arizona Utah-ish, then meet Cayuse for Tuweep. Then I think hafta back to the cold and humid Midwest to jobby job for a while.

Teaching does appeal, but I'd hafta get some kind of official college paperwork first. Tried off and on for years. Studied acting (my first love), and "digital media technology", and my second favorite Philosophy. But couldn't buckle down for core classes like College Math and English101.... Der. Over the years got my EMT and massage therapy certs, and a love of the open road. Well, I think I was born with the latter.

When I was around 22 I remember waking up with a start because of a realization that I wasn't going to automatically turn 40 and be a college professor. (My mom taught Anthropology) It seems such an obvious thing, but for some reason a part of me had just assumed that was my path, regardless of my actions. Silly me. Dumb youth. Really dumb youth me. Suffice it to say that I didn't do much abt the thought.

Well, this is long and quite enough 'over-sharing' for one evening. I blame my mom's delicious ettouffee (sp?) and wine refills. It is an amazingly beauty evening and I have a grand photo to prove it, but lack the technology. I did post the pic on my Facebook and Instagram pages.

How about some type of driving/delivery job. I know there are some jobs that drive RV's or cars across country.
I recently semi,kinda,somewhat retired last year and will eventually try to find some type of odd, random driving job. My problem is I don't like to be in one place very long, I remember many times staring out the window and just wanting to drive away from a few jobs.

Back
Top Bottom