No Destination : hoyden and two dogs hit the road full-time

Major bummer re the tooth. But bon voyage, and I'll look forward to reading your accounts. You're living a dream (tooth issues and all--maybe not doggie mishaps) that I hope one day to be able to pursue. I've got family stuff tying me down right now, but one day...

Ouch! A toothache on the road is particularly miserable. Hope it's better soon.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Wander The West mobile app

I wish this tooth issue had happened 2.5 weeks ago when I still had insurance, BUT I'm sooooo glad it happened now and not in a week from now when I'm in middle of nowhere southern New Mexico or into Texas!
Here in Tucson I have a place to stay (my own room and bathroom even. I'm spoiled), friends who like my doggies and are fine with me staying while this works itself out
AND they know of a dentist/Endodontist in Nogales, AND they will join me if I go there!

Since I'm not actually in pain, just some discomfort, I'm not unhappy.
It can't be a set-back because I had No Destination ;)

It's all part of the adventure!

it's all part of the adventure

Well, so far I have done one night of campering since I left on Monday. Granted, it's only Wednesday, but I'm holed up at a friends house in Tucson with a tooth issue. It's too bad this didn't happen two and a half weeks ago while I still had insurance, but it's great that this happened now instead of in a week when I'd be middle of nowhere southern New Mexico!

I loaded pics from my phone, but have yet to get the photos off my camera. Here's the pretty spot we camped at Roosevelt Lake Monday night:

Xvs4JfER-y7Ou-x9u_hAW267Bf9MMr-91R8DvqrLcj365FaaN3VBQRtH2aY4zrXYT4lciGUZOoT56tdI9zhqQiJ2hPAi7cggLoJPeFWc0_5OJ8h-bzQk3iTciLw2S4VzF46-VkTqWYOGEv4hM6ruYHm38a-uEA-RWAnb7t_O46hFTyU0Zuz-q4l40_zJSYqQHlm_OiS00_fy_Eey_R4XSuyA4iJx_U9zYhJCo98SHyf-qUFUR4wwlO7qbj9CqSkc-Z_GI0K-N8rUHT4gx7hzN1e3UPOAY7lR1NHMVNbIhm1dNhtZItQFPrAClgas8hoVakNf5fRdxwbJ8h-KYRkYQr8dg7-uuQB44b_IxDJbD1lJm7yryCJJ5HMycxmHVZLs_MqHisFBGTJPJ5i_8VEyU5oKdaO9jMeyEAimGHho51Czvc1FV7IbvTy0i2TIWqDsTPqLdjxlCzfLbFb8IQ-SGqk4jZf8_kTSTlRkMyhx3JF8SqOBVjHejhrtCJUr7JhFjVhUoG18p6Mt8q0qp53XRYEpNqsu90irZpHRKC4Mjk1RUoukK4_4VBtYrOjXURWvT5nRMinhwsn37jJvHJu_mEG4paNaNuDDPDm43X0h8giPsQBeEA=w394-h222-no

My friends in Tucson have a great spread nestled in amongst a cholla forest. I can't think of better protection that having one's property fenced in by cholla. Ow. They are growing pigs for eventual bacon and other meats, and eventually will have chickens and a garden.

g6PDthz5uWjKkUINom5J9SDAG4nFaR1EQAfqDKm6NOq5bU1Anm-4rD-UlUHJt57yZlJtoF4HJFsTwBBDJct7lBYa2JaqCC2Ym52ZzToJdkhb3V8JzoQYwYzXE0Bckgm9Px2h88aivtSj2GFQOnddhCsBN0FUeBBnV2NBiVpqzkBgpUwmuIcHpZXLjtObRw2wr-w0Wv5nLdVSAQAwOQHVN5JhukVmIswbYd-E-UVPNSch6X0KBUFe-F8OMwxg0l4BPEAfU5QRiVOlxrFeAyz5pnH6OviEcskizziojmtkhVVovigyD6w7dHR7o4ZhnYAzF85_1pPMT3nVuo4mM5M_SW_rqxcMZM__EPt80GUSdmFGGs_tKQ3FqeEUkEVde12aR8cut3QIJXTmJCvp1AYlVRJ7qknxn7Gq-Fi2hN6oLfSU0hW1Z6hHpjB82y8fggv5I4oLbUM8gJ96l9937MBpJ0xAbY_qtQ1J79V87O2n1jrqy_ofZw1vFiPIIOXaAqeYLkCE5teMLhTloLSKSI86VRWuTlQuFi-vbNElLQpsUb6i-sE2Cn9NC7AWTgYE7sq0LntzIOas6JFribdhsM5DTSN2ai5-SbrkX-azP3fIvHQ0XRUjwQ=w2688-h1520-no

Even though the dogs seem to quite enjoy being in the camper, they really do love having a house to roam and stretch. Argos is pretty happy.

eBxPNdFT5xHDwo0vECGXiPH4G7N1d_Sh4olyS2axO09l-VhVXNRLxrS0U7xU7SCVEmpKZrz7BW_ceqsw4DQ576Z3SL3A6G4HOPZ_aB2HPF9CwHYr8gD8B2gF4iArpPjW4Q46TfNJNV-cbRGIxl_K6Lj-4SbOWkKvkVuRgDPkTgnnGYiNPFUwF3bsPOumTrLgffojowJj9v3wNo2n45ORU12VJv-GHd9dUWKeCEqKVE9zfesmhdT2Peyl-Z_RYdV6OFbjIaxJSfV1fb5fcPxtd_2aMj8ooxC3XW3HGhiv9yxTMk-KiCE0RFy5Ci8juRoiRcamQ9m4r5lzMIzu3a8OIyapfJtij9LvaMjsf3rGPwEOTTTJuCX4khx3LBb-d8XmtfQs4k7O7ALkGqQU6F2OMCHcghxBT42r6lPyIYByK0sgwk-_Cbiq2Pu8MylIyJcZ3DxafOjwf8iI7HVXArwGzM7nAgixme8zKQdzMl1aRAO6vft5ahv76aiawUeJrEkLwZFwExPtUpgl5-_nL9xrOECwPfRZycMpiEfcro6Wr1Diw-xLs80yrG4yPbWKm8Kws7UGHx-EcAVN1CH-JlwjU7ACu1rVAFJiAh3i70fZBGwSYuojS9WTGg=w878-h1552-no

The other day, I noticed a slight twinge in my jaw when chewing, but it was nothing to remember, so I didn't. Monday evening, my left jaw was a bit achey, and I noticed that the lymph node behind my ear was swollen. I started to worry. I went to sleep dreaming of infections spreading into my brain while I was camped in the middle of some scenic spot and days later my body found in the camper with poopy dogs.

When I arrived in Tucson yesterday, my left jaw was noticeably swollen. My friends and I went to get <a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pho" target="_blank">Pho </a> as I wanted garlic and spicey to help boost my immune system and fight whatever was going on in my body.

This morning, I woke to more tenderness and swelling and decided that I had to do something.
In May 2015 I had a root canal in that back lower molar. This had to be related.

I ignored it most of today, and took Argos for a nice walk in a wash near my friend's house.

9_HWcUsQc5F7a4CzNyEVXNw3uftSkX-RgMFXFP1hJtqrym_Eh1VEydoZU5dI3C8MdHW0Z0vKT4xL1iDx1rbkCghLJHk0WMjPvK4AY9sV8c4RPS7m7Tgg51YnxY9fWXTGi1qDx5LZoKYluXFUwCHSMRN3jhyinWKhepGtMnNp64aI7KGhCIl09PobMMYz_h06CIwe268nse786Vn44PitsppqIG4Tg6QuqTFTkDDedhDIGDMytDm07d20H4jR8LvvBex_T77axPsv2MlJKeVZK7qe_50TOpJ11NjJcgnZCtVrFCNlTBjY1RExqyPJ28moG_bHLPIfyc3Yd4ZiLOzmKbSHgNmxi-lXiz4WnQw16_JIeKPFWrjG5OEEJLyUL-jV7hh3HL01Q5flsD5PoWIZeUrzPtd-3mmUPDX353xYxyIpWYDm_Sb80uG7q0ZmCAfWzgsyhDCNSaDWJt6BCffW-KmOoOEag8An-RTQzDlVeGGxUBLzWagEyqkFQHn5uPiJt4D4jFujl0jE2Oy94xLGhy8QNyQWBExfZfpLsTbo9sXjDsnYu-5v7D5B9Aq8oevslOweQ1rb5gMYS_U8GhMkfm8CPC61BUNAqe7PD-9Qfza1PuO09lwTIw=w1242-h1552-no

When we returned, I called my dentist back in Prescott, who suggested I call my endodontist. My endodontist said that I'd need to either go in for an evaluation, or go to my dentist for one. I called my dentist back who recommended a dentist here in Tucson. I called and they got me in this afternoon. I got xrays, no conclusive opinion except that it's probably an infection in the root of that tooth, Amoxicillin, and admonished to get to an Endodontist soon for an assessment. Fun.

What I also found out was that if more root-work is needed, that'll cost almost $1200. Ow.

This is not an auspicious way to being a trip, although it is quite an adventure just not quite how I'd pictured it.

My friends know a dentist & endodontist in Nogales, so we might just end up there.
This is starting to sound like a B movie.

I want to add my best wishes to all of the others that you have received. Since you burst onto the WTW scene a little over a year ago (my first recollection was your trip back to Illinois for Thanksgiving of 2015), you have added a great deal to this site. Thanks for that, and good luck with this wonderful adventure . . . . . we'll all be following you. And, we hope that tooth problem disappears in a hurry.

Hope you feel better. My wife had a similar problem with a root canal. Hopefully you won't have to have major work. We will be following along. Dawn, have a great Holiday wherever you land. jd

Friends of ours stays in Tucson and alot of their friends do go to Mexico for dental work and have good work there. Safe travels.

Hi all!

Yeah, apparently everyone I know here goes to Mexico fro dental work.
I have an appt on Tuesday in Nogales, if tomorrow's Endodontist assessment says I need more work. Ow.

Sorry to hear about your temporary set back. I'm going through the same thing as I write. Root canal next week tuesday. Lucky for me, my tooth problems happen a couple weeks after getting back home from our 7 week Fall trip in the SW where we met you at VOG.

Had a great time there meeting all of you. Again thanks for setting up the camp meeting.

Hope we cross paths sometime in the future.

You have gone through the hardest part. Leaving! I always say if you have a dream, do it or you will be kicking yourself in latter years, alway be wandering if you could of done it.
We will be following you. Good luck on your "no destination adventure".

Aloha

Hi mikedunn!

Ugh, I wish you didn't have to go through it too.

The amoxicillin is doing its job, and my jaw/cheek swelling is down and I don't look as much like a chipmunk as I did. I'm trying to get motivated to start posted youtube videos, but I prefer writing so that's a difficult task. And this all is kinda wiping me out.

Leaving was the hardest part! I think that's why even though I'm facing potentially some pain under the hand of a sadist...I mean endodontist... I'm still in a relatively good mood. Even with the one plan I did make - to dog/house sit for my mom in Southern Illinois Jan 4th - 11th (yep, I agreed to drive to Illinois in winter. Der), I have time still in the SW to do some exploring.
Maybe not as much as I'd wanted, but that's okay, it'll still happen and that's the good part!

No trip to Mexico, or toof drillings for me! Woot!
Endodontist said "blocked salivary gland, keep taking the Amoxicillin, drink lots of water, and get Lemon Drops (to help produce more saliva)"

I'll be back on the road tomorrow!
Of course, there's a storm front coming through, so instead of lovely mid-60's, it's forecast to be in the mid-40's.

I'll trade you temperatures, high tomorrow is supposed to be 11 and that is warmer than earlier forecasts :D

Back
Top Bottom