No roof

griz

Was wondering if a roof on a fwc as ever flown off while traveling. Heard of a bronco roof coming off the i-5.
Guess some one could always let the clips off if they really wanted too. I check myself but admit i forget to have a peak, now and then.
Just was wondering, can not recall ever reading anything on this...........

Several years ago, before I had my Panther, I was passed on the highway by a guy with a pop up truck camper, fully extended. He passed by doing about 70 mph, when the top started to bounce, twist and suddenly the entire top of the camper came flying off and cartwheeled down the highway toward me. I was able to avoid the top, and the pillows and other stuff that came sailing out the now open top. I've always been a bit paranoid about latching the top after witnessing that.

The length of the roof clips (on my 2005 FWC Hawk) are adjustable by screw, and I always make sure they're adjusted short-enough so that there's a bit of effort to clip them down. Makes it harder for road vibration to flip them open. I think that in the 5+ years I've had my Hawk, one side clip has opened while driving -- just once.

Of course, I still have to remember to clip them down in the first place...but I haven't forgotten yet. (that sound was me knocking on wood
biggrin.gif
).

I have only heard of the entire camper roof coming off of a FWC once in the last 9 years.

The customer had already damaged the camper and was headed out here from Texas to get the roof worked on and the folding end panels replaced.

I can't remember what he originally did to screw up the camper roof, but if memory serves me right he had already launched the camper on the freeway because he forgot to secure his turn buckles when reloading the camper.

When he got to Woodland and told us the story, he said something like ...

"All of a sudden my truck cab got really bright from the sunlight outside and it startled me. When I looked over my shoulder back inside the camper I saw the roof, blankets, and everything else getting sucked out into never never land".

I don't think he ever looked back.

He just kept on truckin all the way to Woodland.

To say the least it was a very expensive trip for him.

:(

(new roof, new soft sided liner, and new folding end panels)

Don't forget to unlatch the roof latches when pushing the roof up !

Don't forget to latch the roof latches before you head out on the freeway !

I once drove a Westfalia with the top up, doing approx 50mph.
We had just gotten blown off a climb in Lander, WY and ran back to the van soaked and slightly freaked after being blasted by a thunder & lightening storm. Without much thought, we hit the road heading for a nearby hostel to get showers. I still remember the locals eyeballing us Californians :rolleyes: as we pulled into the camp asking where the showers were. We had no clue the top was up :LOL: Lucky for us, Westy has a good solid german engineering background.

Do you have a newer roof??

HAR! HAR! nope, but at least I still have the old roof! :sheepish: I've taken off without locking down probably a half dozen times. :eek: Finally, I gave up and hooked a carabiner to my seat belt to remind me the roof is not latched. ...and I'm from Tejas... :rolleyes:

HAR! HAR! nope, but at least I still have the old roof! :sheepish: I've taken off without locking down probably a half dozen times. :eek: Finally, I gave up and hooked a carabiner to my seat belt to remind me the roof is not latched. ...and I'm from Tejas... :rolleyes:

For some reason :unsure: that carabiner idea seems like a good one. I just saw a big locker in my stuff so I think I clip it to the wheel of something. Climbing days are done, leaving the top open days have begun!

My Phoenix is rated ok to travel at 60mph with the top up. Does the FWC have similar specs? The Phoenix pops open one side and then the other instead of front/back like an FWC. It has a tube frame lifting mechanism and no hard panels.

I've driven a couple time with my FWC top up. Only went a few miles and tried to keep it under 30mph - not a problem.

I have a check list laminated on a piece of cardboard that I keep in the cab to remind me to latch the top and lock the back door.... I've driven down I-5 with my back door flapping in the breeze. Oopps!!

Back
Top Bottom