Non-denominational WTW Rally 2014

Is this the Meadow lake?

Link to Google map

med_gallery_1903_734_44915.jpg

billharr said:
Is this the Meadow lake?

Link to Google map

med_gallery_1903_734_44915.jpg
This has the advantage for me (over the secret coastal spot) that it's not too far south...and yet it's still not too far north (compared to previously-suggested Oregon spots) for a lot of non-northerners.
At 7400 feet elevation, high enough to be comfortable if we met in full summer.
I suppose it's still suitable if we met in September?

Are the gray areas bare rock?

Maybe somebody should officially nominate this place for a WTW Rally and see how many people accept it and how many object.

I'll keep an eye one this, sorry I missed the one that came through my home state of Colorado a bit ago. It's all about timing I guess...

Nice and close for me. There is a lot of open rock area in the vicinity. Plenty to see in the area. I can tell you story about the time we met a college student doing his project at a foundation near the cemetary. Smoky didn't arrest us.

So...People who are interested in this still-just-a-concept Rally:
Is Meadow Lake an acceptable spot?

If so, When?
Would you be more-likely to show up if it was before Labor Day or after Labor Day?

By the way, I'm NOT the guy in charge :eek: ...just facilitating gathering of interest. ;)

My vote: I think Meadow Lake would be a fine spot (I've never been there), and as for when, I'd probably pick a date in September.

craig333 said:
Any weekend other than the 13,14th (bday time) is fine for me.
Of September?? Mine is on the 14th. and also busy that weekend and the 27 of Sept.

I agree spot looks like it will work for most (no one has complained). Someone needs to pick a date and see if it will work.

I will throw out Sept 20th and 21st. Will this work for you ?? Please post up yes and no. Summer will be over before we know it.

Bill

I already have a commitment September 20 & 21, how about the weekend of Sept. 6 & 7?
it's the weekend after Labor Day.
That's my proposal.

MarkBC said:
I already have a commitment September 20 & 21, how about the weekend of Sept. 6 & 7?
it's the weekend after Labor Day.
That's my proposal.
Works for me. What say the others thinking about going? If we can get a few that say OK we could mark the calendars and MarkBC could start some planning and organizing.
afm199.gif

Since this is the staging area for the Fordyce Trail, I would be concerned about large groups camping here most of the summer through September. My vote would be for the first weekend in October. Probably less people, likely to have some Fall colors, cooler weather, and maybe fire restrictions will be lifted by then (though that is unlikely this year).

Could be some groups but then again the area can handle a number of large groups. Sept 6,7th works for me but so would October.

Ted said:
Since this is the staging area for the Fordyce Trail, I would be concerned about large groups camping here most of the summer through September. My vote would be for the first weekend in October. Probably less people, likely to have some Fall colors, cooler weather, and maybe fire restrictions will be lifted by then (though that is unlikely this year).
Is it too late to change my vote? :unsure:
OK, then I like Ted's proposal for when -- October 3 - 5 -- or even the following weekend. :)

One advantage for me in having the Rally a little later, which I didn't think of until now:
It makes it attractive for the Rally weekend to be the beginning of a larger trip to the south, a possible "fall color" trip. It makes it more worthwhile for me to make the 425+ mile (one-way) drive.
The last two WTW Rallies were in early October (WTW October Pork Rally and October Black Rock?), and both kicked off larger trips for me in 2010 and 2011.

Either weekend will work for me. If we can get agreement soon time to set a date looks like the location is nailed down.

Bill

No one has ever accused me of having a great memory. Fortunately my wife is there to remind me of things planned that I would otherwise probably miss in my oblivion. I have a professional exam on October 8th, so the first weekend in October is not an option for me. If we do October, it will have to be the second weekend for me. Since the exam is a Wednesday, I'd probably take Thursday and Friday off to extend the weekend and get to the lake before the weekend crowd and grab a good location. Since Fishmore suggested the location, hopefully this will work for him.

So October 9-12?

I can do Oct 9-12. This is better for me as the Tahoe Kokanee Salmon Festival at Taylor Creek is on Oct 4, 5.

Mark me as a yes. Can a moderator start a list of those going?

Looking like we'll hopefully be in the vicinity of Hole in the Rock during the proposed dates. So we're out.

We are currently camped at Huuricane Creek outside of Enterprise, Oregon with 1 bar for wifi. That second weekend in October would work for us. We leave right after Labor Day to photograph fall color in Western Wyoming to return early October. After a week home to out garden to bed and winterized, we have a trip planned for southeast Utah/ Northeast Arizona so could head south for October 9-12. We left 3 weeks ago and are wandering our way home. TR in a week or so. Fabulous time wandering throughout the West: Condon, Oregon area/South Fork John Day River/Steens Mountain/Monitor and Antelope Valleys and their canyons, Nevada/ North Rim a Grand Canyon/House Rock Valley Road/Cottonwood Canyon Road/Bryce/Cedar Breaks/Ruby Mountains-Lamoille Canyon/ Wallowa Mts/ and on to Palouse through eastern Washington to home. Whew!,,,

Let's say October 10 - 12 at Meadow Lake, CA (near Truckee).
OK?

...unless someone puts together a contingent that wants a different weekend very badly.

Back
Top Bottom