NOOOOO! ! ! !

MarkBC

The Weatherman
Site Team
Hostess Brands Is Shutting Down

I've never been a fan of Twinkies, but Hostess chocolate cupcakes (frosted! with creamy filling!) have always been one of my guilty pleasures.

hostess-cupcake.jpg

If they can bail out those greedy investment banks -- "Too big to fail", they said, then they can bail out this fine company that wants nothing more than to bring us oral pleasure:
"Too sweet to fail!"
biggrin.gif

I'm gonna have to stock up today...maybe buy a freezer to save a few cases of this guilty pleasure.

They were saying 20 years! Just heard that the different parts of the main company will be broken up and sold- sooooo---there is still some hope:LOL:!

Smoke

May be buy truck loads and store them for the future and wait till the value of them goes up,like buying a stock low and selling high.Make a ton of money.You could be a "twinkies" hoarder.
In my route sales days,my good friend on the route was the Hostess driver.We would trade goodies,I worked for Frito-Lay.Really enjoyed the raspberry filled powder donuts,yummm.
Hope they get it settled.My cynical self says the company wants to get rid of the union,than open a union free shop.IMO.
Keep the Twinkies coming.
Frank

You guys remember, years ago, the rumor about a toilet paper shortage? I think Johnny Carson had something to do with that one. Twinkies might be gone but I suspect another industrial giant will come up with a great "nutritional" replacement. That will be my defense tactic on this one.

...My cynical self says the company wants to get rid of the union,than open a union free shop.IMO...

Yes, I'm sure that's a lot of it -- union-busting.

You guys remember, years ago, the rumor about a toilet paper shortage? I think Johnny Carson had something to do with that one. Twinkies might be gone but I suspect another industrial giant will come up with a great "nutritional" replacement. That will be my defense tactic on this one.

I don't know if there is another "nutritional"replacement.Actually don't eat them myself,but I am sure the "twinkie"void will be filled.
Frank

Relief (If you can call it that) is at hand. You better apologize to your arteries!

Golden “Twinkie” Cake:

2 cup all-purpose flour
3 tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. salt
½ cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup whole milk

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Spray molds/pan with non-stick spray.

Sift together flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl and set aside.

In a large bowl, beat together butter and sugar at medium-high speed until pale and fluffy. Next, beat in the eggs one at a time, beating for 1 minute in between each addition. Reduce the mixer speed and add flour mixture alternating with the milk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Add the vanilla and mix until the batter just comes together. Over mixing with make your cake chewy. Makes 12 cakes.

Spray your Twinkie canoes

http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-3964-Cream-Canoe-Decorating/dp/B0009R59QY

and bake at 350 for 15 minutes, or until the cakes are just a light golden color and a tester inserted in the center of the cakes comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let cool.

Cream Filling

¼ cup shortening (I prefer Crisco brand)
¼ cup margarine
1 cup sifted powdered or 10x sugar
2 tsp. vanilla

Beat together the shortening and margarine until light and fluffy. Add the powdered sugar in a little at a time and beat on high until peaks form. Add vanilla and beat for one minute. Place in prepared icing tubes for piping into cakes.

To fill the cakes, insert the icing tip – preferably a large star tip – into three points along the flat-side of the cake, about 1/8 of an inch deep. Squeeze lightly until you see the filling begin to ooze out.

Use at your own peril the Post Master disavows any knowledge of your cardiac arrest.

If you don't care for Twinkies -- homemade or otherwise, here's a remedy for the soon-to-be-gone cupcakes:

A year or two ago I saw an episode of Cook's Country (TV show from Cook's Illustrated folks) in which they came up with a better version of Hostess Cupcakes. I've never tried it, but those Test Kitchen folks usually get it right.

"Shaping Up Hostess CupCakes"

Makes 12 cupcakes

Note: To ensure an appropriately thick filling, be sure to use marshmallow creme (such as Fluff or Kraft Jet-Puffed Creme), not marshmallow sauce.

CUPCAKES
1 cup all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup boiling water
⅓ cup cocoa powder
⅓ cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 tablespoon instant espresso
¾ cup sugar
½ cup sour cream
½ cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

FILLING
3 tablespoons water
¾ teaspoon unflavored gelatin
4 tablespoons (½ stick) unsalted butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pinch salt
1¼ cups marshmallow creme (see note)

GLAZE
½ cup semisweet chocolate chips
3 tablespoons unsalted butter

1. MAKE BATTER: Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour 12-cup muffin tin. Combine flour, baking soda, and salt in bowl. Whisk water, cocoa, chocolate chips, and espresso in large bowl until smooth. Add sugar, sour cream, oil, eggs, and vanilla and mix until combined. Whisk in flour mixture until incorporated. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups. Bake until toothpick inserted into cupcake comes out with few dry crumbs attached, 18 to 22 minutes. Cool cupcakes in tin 10 minutes, then turn out onto wire rack and cool completely.

2. PREPARE FILLING: Combine water and gelatin in large bowl and let sit until gelatin softens, about 5 minutes. Microwave until mixture is bubbling around edges and gelatin dissolves, about 30 seconds. Stir in butter, vanilla, and salt until combined. Let mixture cool until just warm to touch, about 5 minutes, then whisk in marshmallow creme until smooth; refrigerate until set, about 30 minutes. Transfer 1⁄3 cup marshmallow mixture to pastry bag fitted with small plain tip; reserve remaining mixture for filling cupcakes.

3. ASSEMBLE CUPCAKES: Microwave chocolate and butter in small bowl, stirring occasionally, until smooth, about 30 seconds. Cool glaze to room temperature, about 10 minutes. Cut cone from top of each cupcake and fill cupcakes with 1 tablespoon filling each. Replace tops, frost with 2 teaspoons cooled glaze, and let sit 10 minutes. Using pastry bag, pipe curlicues across glazed cupcakes. Serve. (Cupcakes can be stored in airtight container at room temperature for 2 days.)

-----------------------
One thing you can rely on from Cook's Illustrated, Cook's Country, America's Test Kitchen: "Healthier" is never a consideration in their view -- all that matters is "best sensory experience".
smile.gif

Seriously bummed about this - HoHo's were on my "I have sinned list"

Take a knee..

hohorip.jpg

Oh know! I'm eating one right now. Should i save it for posterity? What will mass murderers use for an excuse now?
Zombies will have a field day

I wonder...how long before before their products are being bid up on Ebay?
$50 for an authentic loaf of Wonder Bread in mint condition...?
blink.gif

wow!!!dark days are here. i'm in the groc biz--my morning twinkies keep me going now that i can't have my coca cola.it was a big shock to us in the biz.shelves are empty already with no like item to turn to. i guess i'll starve.i could loose some weight anyway.what's next to go-- butterfingers? i'd have to go if that happened

wes

I wonder...how long before before their products are being bid up on Ebay?
$50 for an authentic loaf of Wonder Bread in mint condition...?
blink.gif

Didn't take long as you might expect: Twinkies on ebay

The article does caution against sinking your life savings into collectible twinkies as the brand is not going away, just the company. haha.

The article does caution against sinking your life savings into collectible twinkies as the brand is not going away, just the company. haha.

Uh-oh...wish I'd read that.
unsure.gif

I already rolled my 401(k) over into Hostess treats. But I diversified -- 1/3 Twinkies, 1/3 Cupcakes, 1/3 Fruit Pies, so I think that's pretty safe.

Yes, fruit pies. I remember back in my youth that I enjoyed Hostess fruit pies. With real fruit! Haven't had one of those in many years...maybe I should put a box of those in my freezer, next to the box of Cupcakes.

Ah,age is great,the things we remember doing,eating.Glad I am not a kid today,Think of all the things we did as kids back in the "day"you would get locked up for them now.Oh well long live the Twinkies.
Just don't eat them anymore have to keep my trim waist line.
Getting any rain/snow today Mark?
Frank

Getting any rain/snow today Mark?
Frank

Not yet, but rain showers are in the forecast today/evening, turning to snow overnight/tomorrow.
Of course, being the dry side of the mountains -- 12 inches of precip/year -- it won't be much. Still, fluffy dry snow can build up surprisingly deep without much water.

Mark's Weather Station Online

Back
Top Bottom