Northern Arizona or Southern Utah

Bosque Bill

I'd like to spend a short week after the Overland Expo in northern Arizona or southern Utah. I initially thought I'd spend a few days around the North Rim as I've never been there. I'd still like to do that, but many things I've read point out how this area is less visited, so...

That got me to thinking that maybe I should hit one or two of the more popular areas in southern Utah while school is still in session and before vacation season begins in ernest. Then return to the North Rim later in the season.

May I have your thoughts on that and recommendations for places to visit and camp in those areas?

Thanks!

Bill

Hands down... Southern Utah.

Take your pick... West to East... Zion, Bryce, Kodachrome Basin, Escalante-Grand Staircase, Capitol Reef, Natural Bridges, or just touring Hwy 12, Hwy 24 and Hwy 95. On the return you might include Moki Dugway (Hwy 261) down into Valley of the Gods. Or reverse the direction, go East to West.

I vote for the north rim. I would check out toroweap/tuweep on the north rim. There are also other dirt roads to explore on the north rim. With your rig it would be a great opportunity to get to those areas. You really can't go wrong this time of year with either place.

If you plan to hit the National Parks in S. Utah, then yeah, definitely go there before "vacation season" starts. That doesn't mean you will avoid crowds in the campgrounds, though - The campgrounds in Capitol Reef filled up early on a September weekend when I was there last year. Oh, and I second Valley of the Gods for dispersed camping.

Wow! So many places to go and things to see. I will only get to scratch the surface this trip. Thanks for all your suggestions.

I think I will try for southern Utah before vacation season gets in full swing. I'll return a little while later to the North Rim, at elevation it shouldn't be too hot in June, I'm thinking.

Hands down... Zion, Bryce, Kodachrome Basin, Escalante-Grand Staircase, Capitol Reef, Natural Bridges, or just touring Hwy 12, Hwy 24 and Hwy 95. On the return you might include Moki Dugway (Hwy 261) down into Valley of the Gods.

I like Alley-Kat's suggestion here as a good introduction to the major attractions, though probably not going as far west as Zion. I need to do some research.

Update: according to the Bryce Canyon NP website, US-89 is closed south of Page, so looks like 89A is the only way up (which is fine with me as it looks like there are camping opportunities along there.)

Bill, if you drive to the top of the Moki Dugway, take your first left (west) at the top, and drive out about 5 miles on dirt to Muley Point, on BLM land. If you poke around a bit on two track, you can set up camp right on the rim with the San Juan below and Monument Valley off in the distance.

Bill, if you drive to the top of the Moki Dugway, take your first left (west) at the top, and drive out about 5 miles on dirt to Muley Point, on BLM land. If you poke around a bit on two track, you can set up camp right on the rim with the San Juan below and Monument Valley off in the distance.

Stew, that sounds fantastic! Exactly the kind of tip I was hoping for. Now that I think about it, I believe I've seen some awesome photos from Muley Point - looking forward to checking it out! (Is it pronounced like mule or mull?)

According to my Benchmark Map, Muley Pt is actually within the Glen Canyon Nat'l Recreation Area, but if I'm reading their website right they allow backcountry camping here just like the BLM. Looks like everywhere west of Bluff and north of the San Juan is either BLM or Glen Canyon NRA, except for the inholdings. South of the San Juan is the Navajo Nation.

Stew, that sounds fantastic! Exactly the kind of tip I was hoping for. Now that I think about it, I believe I've seen some awesome photos from Muley Point - looking forward to checking it out! (Is it pronounced like mule or mull?)

According to my Benchmark Map, Muley Pt is actually within the Glen Canyon Nat'l Recreation Area, but if I'm reading their website right they allow backcountry camping here just like the BLM. Looks like everywhere west of Bluff and north of the San Juan is either BLM or Glen Canyon NRA, except for the inholdings. South of the San Juan is the Navajo Nation.

If you're in Muley Point area, I'd recommend Moon House Ruins to the east, then continue that dirt road east and down into Comb Ridge wash, turn south in the wash, take the pavement left, towards Bluff a couple of miles, but head south across the Bluff airstrip and down to Goldmine Camp on the San Juan River. Gold Mine is a great place to camp all by yourselves on the San Juan. A great river trip is the day trip on the San Juan River with Wild Rivers Expeditions. Tell em' Gene, the fiddler, sent you.

...take the pavement left, towards Bluff a couple of miles, but head south across the Bluff airstrip and down to Goldmine Camp on the San Juan River. Gold Mine is a great place to camp all by yourselves on the San Juan.

Gene, thanks for the suggestions. Can't really find Gold Mine on the Google satellite view. I see the air strip just before US-191 junction, but can't see any tracks south of there. Maybe just need to be there to find it.

Gene, thanks for the suggestions. Can't really find Gold Mine on the Google satellite view. I see the air strip just before US-191 junction, but can't see any tracks south of there. Maybe just need to be there to find it.

I'll personal message you.

I lived in Southern Utah (Kanab) for twenty years. Agree with above posters, you just can't go wrong with Southern Utah. This is the time of year to see the parks, before the great unwashed masses show up. Plus there are an almost unlimited number of places outside the Parks that pretty much would qualitfy as National Parks in any other state. Here are just a few faves:

Coral Pink Sand Dunes. The "upper" section, along the Hancock and Yellowjacket Canyon Roads is my favorite, towering groves of Ponderosas and endless dunes, far fewer a@#holes on ATV's to spoil the atmosphere.

Johnson Canyon. Located just east of Kanab, the County road runs up through the red rock canyon, then through the White Cliffs, loops around and meets back up with Highway 89 in Glendale, Utah. A trillion places to boondock, a trillion places to explore the top of the White Cliffs, take trails down into the upper Kanab Creek area. Warning: It is remote, and not a good place to get lost. Lions abound on top of the Cliffs.

Paria. Old movie set was burned down but the ruins of the Paria townsite remain, Cottonwood Canyon is beautiful this time of year. If you are feeling brave you are not far from Mollie's Nipple. Climbing the Nip and seeing a huge chunk of the US from up there was a highlight of my two decades in the 'nab.

Colorado City. Drive through and say hi to the plygs, but don't stop to long or ask to many questions, they'll think your a sleezebag trying to pick up the women folk. Who are not hard to pick up, from what I hear. The Colorado City dairy is spectacular. The best, freshest, tastiest cottage cheese and sour cream you will ever buy, the raw milk is also not to be sneezed at. Don't ask the 12 year old girls behind the counter if they always dress and do their hair like that. Cause they do.

Again, thanks all for the suggestions. Special thanks for the info on 'off the beaten path' suggestions which will come in handy as I just realized Memorial Day comes a bit sooner this year than I'd realized!

Back
Top Bottom