Northern California Camping

Paul84

Advanced Member
We had a big change of plans and looks like were heading up into Oregon for our our summer trip in July. Our stay in Oregon is all set but need some input on where to camp near the Shasta/Trinity area. We passed through there last year on our way home and thought it would be a great place to explore. Any thoughts on places to explore/camp for a few days while we make our way north? We dont really have a set idea as to an exact area, just that we are hoping for NorCal.
Thanks in advance,

Waltz Clan

Howdy

Are you committed to the 5 corridor?

One alternative is to enter Oregon slightly east on 395. This will get you on the east side of Crater Lake and lots of country....then you can easily cross back to Medford or , futher north , over to the Eugene area.

Are you aware of the challenged nature of Oregons two southen most counties along I-5 ?

This area is not a good place to be camping....lots of crime and more....much of it out in the woods.

David Graves

California Highway 3 is a wonderful route if you are not hurrying. Going down through Fort Jones ,Callahan and Coffee Creek is so much more relaxing than interstate 5. If you really want to see remote NorCal and stay on pavement, check out Forks of the Salmon also. I love the drive from Somes Bar @ Hwy 97 up the Salmon River rd. thru Forks of the Salmon and Hwy 93 thru Cecilville and to Callahan. Driven that route a couple times on weekdays and only pasted a couple cars the whole route. Hwy 93 is a beautiful paved two lane road. Salmon River Rd. is also paved and a narrow canyon side road not to be missed. Drove it in a Tundra and my RV without issues but is is narrow.

Thanks for the reply David. I haven’t put a ton of thought into which way well be coming in. We will be staying at my friends property in deadwood for sure though. I’m almost thinking that we shoot up to Tahoe and stay a night or two then over to Shasta area for another night or two then up to deadwood. I appreciate the wisdom about southern Oregon and im hoping to keep us clear of that area. Anytime I can get on the 395 im happy.

DavidGraves said:
Howdy

Are you committed to the 5 corridor?

One alternative is to enter Oregon slightly east on 395. This will get you on the east side of Crater Lake and lots of country....then you can easily cross back to Medford or , futher north , over to the Eugene area.

Are you aware of the challenged nature of Oregons two southen most counties along I-5 ?

This area is not a good place to be camping....lots of crime and more....much of it out in the woods.

David Graves
Can you elaborate? We have camped in the southern counties of Oregon along the coast for the last several years and it has become (not consciously) our go to area along the coast. We have not seen or experienced anything like what you say. Maybe our rose colored glasses are a bit too rosey.

Hi Windy

I feel WTW may not be a place to discuss or address negative issues with a specific area.

Our experience in Josephine county was very negative...tent camper stolen etc .etc.

Make a Google/Yahoo search "crime" for this area and make your best decisions.

The county is beautiful and has much to attract a visit but it is off our list for camping.

Best Wishes

David Graves

Paul,

If going from Tahoe to Shasta, I would recommend a route of 395 out of Reno to Susanville, the 36 and 44 over to Old Station and then up the 89 to come into I-5 at Shasta. Along the 44 there are dozens of roads to take for remote camping. Also many small campgrounds if preferred. Crater Lake (not the one in Oregon) off of the 44 is nice. On the road into Butte Lake, which is part of Lassen Volcanic NP, is a small NF campground on Butte Creek. A few campgrounds and good fishing by Old Station and hat Creek. And McArthur-Burney Falls might make a nice stop. Once on I-5, just south of the border you can go west on the 96 a few miles to the Tree of Heaven campground on the Klamath River. It makes a good overnight spot.

Ted

Ted said:
Paul,

If going from Tahoe to Shasta, I would recommend a route of 395 out of Reno to Susanville, the 36 and 44 over to Old Station and then up the 89 to come into I-5 at Shasta. Along the 44 there are dozens of roads to take for remote camping. Also many small campgrounds if preferred. Crater Lake (not the one in Oregon) off of the 44 is nice. On the road into Butte Lake, which is part of Lassen Volcanic NP, is a small NF campground on Butte Creek. A few campgrounds and good fishing by Old Station and hat Creek. And McArthur-Burney Falls might make a nice stop. Once on I-5, just south of the border you can go west on the 96 a few miles to the Tree of Heaven campground on the Klamath River. It makes a good overnight spot.

Ted
Great info Ted...thank you. We have some friends in Reno that we may stop to visit so it’ll probably be the 395. Lots of good suggestions here and Ill take a look into them.
Thanks
Paul

Back
Top Bottom