Oct 21 - 24 Group Utah Campering Gathering

Cayuse said:
Pretty sure that it'll all work out but yes, you have a permit spot. More info can be found here.
I like the disclaimer on his page, "Disclaimer: Hiking is an inherently dangerous activity. You could fall off the edge of a cliff, get bitten by snakes or scorpions, suffer heat stroke or freeze to death, or get sore feet. Know your limits. Carry water. Bring a map. Bring a friend. Above all, don't blame me if you get into trouble."

:)

Saturday night Mexican/Southwestern Potluck? No fires in VotG so DO cooking is problematic.

hoyden said:
Can we cook outside on camp stoves?

Pretty sure that isn't an issue. It's the wood/charcoal burning that is the problem.

So, just to be thorough I just called the BLM office in Monticello and spoke to Paul who informed me that the fire restriction has been lifted as of this past week. According to him there is no special restiction for VotG despite what the older brochure for the area says.

Here is the first paragraph of the PDF that he sent to me. And I've attached the entire document for anyone who wants to have it along with them. VotG is in San Juan Country.

Southeast Utah Fire Restrictions Rescinded

Moab, Utah—Effective 12:01 a.m. on Tuesday, Sept. 27, 2016, fire restrictions will be

lifted for the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) and National Park Service on lands in

Carbon, Emery, Grand and San Juan Counties. State of Utah lands within these counties

will lift fire restrictions effective Wednesday, September 28, 2016. Monsoon moisture

has moderated wildfire behavior, growth and indices; green up of vegetation is occurring

in many areas.

Attachments

• RecindedRestrictionsCanyonCountry.pdf
    178.7 KB · Views: 95
Cayuse said:
Pretty sure that isn't an issue. It's the wood/charcoal burning that is the problem.

So, just to be thorough I just called the BLM office in Monticello and spoke to Paul who informed me that the fire restriction has been lifted as of this past week. According to him there is no special restiction for VotG despite what the older brochure for the area says.
That's good to hear. I'd wondered as I'd seen rock fire rings out there by campsites.

It's always more fun to sit around a campfire when it's time to tell ghost stories ;)

I'll try to bring a little firewood. If every one brings just a little, we should have plenty.

Thanks, Cayuse, for being on top of this.

Bill

p.s., I've set up the forum to send an email for new posts in topics I choose to follow (or have posted in.) NOTE: apparently I don't get an email if a post has been edited/updated - so, if you have info that might be of importance or interest, it's better to create a new post rather than edit an old one (though adding an edit to the old post that you've updated the info in a new post, would cover all bases - or am I just being obsessive?)

Thanks to Cayuse and allanb for setting up a trip/hike to Moonhouse on Sunday. It would be nice to have some sort of activity for us to do on Saturday, too (other than sitting around all day telling stories.)

Anyone with familiarity with the area want to make suggestions?

Bosque Bill said:
Thanks to Cayuse and allanb for setting up a trip/hike to Moonhouse on Sunday. It would be nice to have some sort of activity for us to do on Saturday, too (other than sitting around all day telling stories.)

Anyone with familiarity with the area want to make suggestions?
Assuming you don't mind driving, Hovenweep isn't too far, Sand Island and the petroglyph panel there is closer, the drive up Montezuma Canyon to Monticello is fun and there are some petrogly[hs and a reconstructed kiva on the way.

Stalking Light said:
Assuming you don't mind driving, Hovenweep isn't too far, Sand Island and the petroglyph panel there is closer, the drive up Montezuma Canyon to Monticello is fun and there are some petrogly[hs and a reconstructed kiva on the way.
Hovenweep is very cool and anyone who has not walked around the canyon by the VC center certainly should have that near the top of their bucket list. I photographed the Sand Island Petroglyphs in May of 2014, but for some reason failed to post them to my blog. (Reminder to self to put those online this winter.)

Muley Point should also be seen by any of those who have not looked out over the San Juan canyon and seen Monument Valley.

In any case, and look down your nose at me if you must, once I set up camp with my homemade awning suspended from the camper and my solar panel deployed, I am loathe to take all that down to drive somewhere. If someone else is driving to an interesting locale, has the room, and can put up with me - I'd be interested in riding along.

Or we can see if there is anything that grabs our interest within walking distance of our camp.

As an aside: I intend to explore & camp up Comb Wash and its side canyons after our gathering, if anyone wants to come along with their camper.

Don't blame you for not wanting to break camp and drive. When I'm in Valley of the Gods I like to just walk away from the road a ways and just sit and listen to the quiet. Lots to see even when sitting still.

Our camping party is me and my husband plus two pups: standard poodle and pudelpointer. Good friendly dogs. We keep them leashed.

Hi, Hoyden, et al. - Our schedule has recently taken a positive bounce and, if it's not too late, Mrs. Link and I would like to join you all in the Valley of the Gods for all or part of that weekend. Hope that is OK.

Missing Link said:
Hi, Hoyden, et al. - Our schedule has recently taken a positive bounce and, if it's not too late, Mrs. Link and I would like to join you all in the Valley of the Gods for all or part of that weekend. Hope that is OK.
Never too late. Look forward to seeing you there!

Edit: Had a text from Hoyden this morning. She will update the OP list once she gets to a place with connectivity. Currently south of Crater Lake someplace.

Connectivity! and a bed! and internetz! and shower! Plumbing! Just got to Logan, UT to visit with an old friend.
If this town has Thai delivery, she might not get rid of me. :-D

I think I updated - I'm super-duper-road weary right now so lemme know if anything I missed!
(arrived, got the dogs watered, got laptop connected, and here I am. Need shower)

I'm looking forward to seeing y'all and our potluck and visiting and exploring and star gazing....!

We are experiencing a wave of 3 storms here in the PNW. Our power was out for only 8 hours today but it has been out 4+ days. Our naighbors gate was crushed by a fir that toppled. We own wooded acreage and have had our own trees fall including old second growth Douglas Firs. Our daughter who has high functioning autism watches our place while we are away but would have issues if power is out for extended time or tree falls on power lines, sheds or house. We may not leave until next Wednesday just to be safe. So, it looks like we will be unable to make the meetup. We were really really keen on joining everyone. Safety first. The weather experts say these storms may rival the Columbus Day storms of 1962 which were the worst ever. Otoh, they may be overestimating the entire effect but public safety is paramount. We were leaving today but are watching and waiting. If we don't make it, y'all have fun.

Hubby made his coffee in the camper this morning. We have wood heat in the house plus buckets of water on standby to flush toilet (septic system plus well), lots of kerosene plus LED lanterns charged, flashlights ready, camp stove with ample supply of propane. We have been through lots of these. PNW natives. We will have to alter our loose itinerary anyway by a week. It's a good thing we have the vast west to explore. I want reports and hopefully can make another. They are fun.

Back
Top Bottom