Oct 21 - 24 Group Utah Campering Gathering

I won't be heading out there until 10-30 and will hang out until 12-7, southern Utah and Grand Canyon north rim areas. Ron

I scouted out VotG yesterday and found two sites that are good. This one is nestled further in with better views, so WE HAVE A LOCATION!

37°17'32.4"N 109°49'04.4"W
or for those other coordinates inclined:
37.292341, -109.817881

0B-ts5ePkxcT4dklNZWtkUlhRSTIxcFJJbzN4S2JtNWtObW44=w2766-h1530-k-iv1

Yeehaw, thanks for the reconnoitering and setting this up Hoyden. I am also an old school paper map guy. Now don't laugh, but If I type those coordinates in on google earth, will the location come up?
We have changed our route a couple of times now, but the latest is coming down thru Boise and Salt lake, then depending on weather, exploring the Unita or Wasatch, before dropping down into canyon country the week before.We will be in the burgundy red chevy,with white north star on top.

hoyden said:
I scouted out VotG yesterday and found two sites that are good. This one is nestled further in with better views, so WE HAVE A LOCATION!

37.292341, -109.817881
Cool and it is all about the views. Thanks for checking this out!

hoyden, are you or is anyone keeping an RSVP list? Just how informal are we? I plan to attend in my Fleet.

BTW, if you tried to include a photo with your post, above, it's not showing up for me.

Bill

p.s., here is the BLM brochure for Valley of the Gods:
http://www.blm.gov/style/medialib/blm/ut/monticello_fo/recreation/recreation_brochures0.Par.95131.File.dat/VoGbrochure.pdf

We are going to miss you all by about a week- we will be in Utah Oct. 3-12. :( Might swing by the location just to say we were there too.

hoyden said:

37.292341, -109.817881

0B-ts5ePkxcT4dklNZWtkUlhRSTIxcFJJbzN4S2JtNWtObW44=w2766-h1530-k-iv1

Looks like a pop up checking the site out on Google Maps.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-09-12 at 7.48.01 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-09-12 at 7.48.01 AM.jpg
    285.5 KB · Views: 69
billharr said:
Looks like a pop up checking the site out on Google Maps.

Hmmm...OK, this is way, way East of Escalante Basin...we will wave at you folks! Another trip needed for that side of the river. So little time, so much to see... :D

Phil

Bosque Bill said:
Cool and it is all about the views. Thanks for checking this out!

hoyden, are you or is anyone keeping an RSVP list? Just how informal are we? I plan to attend in my Fleet.

BTW, if you tried to include a photo with your post, above, it's not showing up for me.

Bill

p.s., here is the BLM brochure for Valley of the Gods:
http://www.blm.gov/style/medialib/blm/ut/monticello_fo/recreation/recreation_brochures0.Par.95131.File.dat/VoGbrochure.pdf
RSVP list.. what a good idea! I'll edit my OP on page one and include that.

thanks for posting the brochure!

the pic is indeed a screenshot of Google Maps of the location.

Have rerouted already a few times to meet other dates
and we haven't left the driveway yet. But were on our way tomorrow through Idaho to Colorado, across S. Arizona to Joshua Tree NP, CA and then rebounding back to VOG instead of heading home through, CA. Might not get there until saturday,10/ 22nd, but hope to be there. Think we stopped at that site last time we explored the area. Good choice, Thanks Hoyden for your scouting. - Mike

I have a permit for the 23rd to hike into Moonhouse Ruin with a couple spots open. I think there are still some permits available for that day if others are interested. Only 20/day are allowed in.

Cayuse said:
I have a permit for the 23rd to hike into Moonhouse Ruin with a couple spots open. I think there are still some permits available for that day if others are interested. Only 20/day are allowed in.

allanb said:
Great idea Cayuse. I just called and got another permit, also with a couple extra spots.

utahscanyoncountry.wordpress.com, has a nice page on moon house
I would love to get one of those "extra" spots, Cayuse or allanb. Looks like an amazing ruin! That's for Sunday, right? Will someone be organizing a "shuttle service" over there from VotG? That's the one thing that's less than ideal with the pop-up camper - breaking camp to drive to a trail head.

Here is a direct link to the Moon house ruin on that page. https://utahscanyoncountry.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/moon-house-ruin/

I want to go, but I think will only be able to if there is someone back at camp since I'll have to leave my dogs in the camper. Still undecided if I feel okay about leaving them for a few hours. I'm sure they'd be fine - they aren't destructive (well, Pugsly can't be, she's old and small and missing most of her teeth) and would just settle in and sleep (and I might not bring her for this trip, but Argos will be with me definitely). But... I worry.

I have no problem dropping the top and taking a group up to the TH. Breaking camp doesn't take long and I can fit 3 others pretty comfortably in the Tundra. 4 others gets a bit cozy but can be done though everyone might want a window for the views on the Moki Dugway.

Cayuse said:
I have no problem dropping the top and taking a group up to the TH. Breaking camp doesn't take long and I can fit 3 others pretty comfortably in the Tundra. 4 others gets a bit cozy but can be done though everyone might want a window for the views on the Moki Dugway.
Bosque Bill calls "Shotgun!" Hee, hee. Thanks, Cayuse, I guess I'm just a lazy bum or just want to leave the rig parked with the solar panel deployed. If you'll take me, then may I then have one of your permit open spots? Thanks!!!

Back
Top Bottom