October travels

Oct 23 : Moon House Ruins continued

The formations are beautiful!

We stopped for a little rest at the bottom, and I think Mary-Anne had the same thoughts as I did. "We have to go up there?!"

We met this little guy.

and stopped for lunch.
Not with that little guy.

to be continued...

Oct 23 : Moon House Ruins continued

I never really understood the fascination with natural arches and bridges. Sure, they are neat, and erosion does cool stuff with rock but we seem to have more of an enthrallment than just "neat." When I was a kid living in the woods, I'd sometimes come across a natural ring of trees. There'd be a clearing in the middle and I'd imagine that fairies danced there under the night skies. Perhaps these arches imagine a world beyond, a step-through into another dimension or into an alternate reality. The magic of the doorway, which leads to a whole different room and a whole different view. Is what I think I see under the archway actually what I will encounter if I walk through?

Mary-Anne discovers one of the tight spots on the route.

We made it!

The view is spectacular as well, although I don't think my photo captures the depth of the canyon.

to be continued...

Oct 23 : Moon House Ruins final

We doffed our legs and packs, and set to exploring the ruins.

What did these people do? What were the rooms for, specifically? These are our houses in a few hundred years, future people sifting through our detritus and daily remnants piecing together how we spent our time during our short while on this planet.

The hike back was easier since we now knew the way and what to expect. My back didn't bother me once!

The ruins are very interesting with their separate rooms and very protected location up high in the wall, but the hike to get there is even better. For those of us with a vertigo enhancement, it initially appears daunting. But, like with most things, taken one step at a time, and paying attention to the numerous cairns instead of the downward slope, it turned into one of the most enjoyable adventures on this journey.

Perhaps that’s what I learned on this trip: to take one step at a time, not to give credence to the future unknowns, and watch for cairns – the markers of where others have gone and suggested a reasonable path.

Oct 24 : Comb Wash

There is a reason it's called "Comb Ridge"

After we all said our goodbyes and went our separate ways from Valley of the Gods, Bob and I took off in our respective campers for some smaller group adventuring (small group = Bob, me and my dogs)

Comb Wash, which runs along the Comb Ridge is not only a lovely drive, but the area has ruins and a brave history. I'd like to come back and spend more time here.

It's not a difficult drive, but there are definitely some sandy washes that could be tricksy in the wrong vehicle.

We passed two struggling motorcyclists on street bikes and after getting a couple more miles up the road, we stopped and decided to go back to see if they needed a hand, or recovery strap. As we got back into our trucks for the turn-around, the two guys rode up. We all chatted and found out that they were from England and were making the trek to Bonneville.

Bob wanted to go up to Bears Ears, so with our eyes on the weather which called for storms in near-by areas, we headed up Elk Mountain Road. I seem to have a blind spot when it comes to the words "mountain" and "drive up" and found myself yet again on a steep incline with sheer drop-offs at my side. Breathe.

We made it to the top,

but clouds were filling the sky, so instead of continuing on over, we decided to go back down and find a campsite, hopefully somewhat protected from the impending storm. Getting to the top had been an exercise in fear-control for me as the road was a steep incline, full of twists and curves and sheer unprotected drop-offs. Bob reminded me how to utilize my lower gears for the drive down - a lesson I've learned a few times but seem to forget since I don't use them often - and going down the hill was easy! I am still excited about that lesson and don't think I'm likely to forget again.

First, we did a drive around Natural Bridges National Monument .

Oct 25 : Canyon de Chelly

We had found a fairly protected boondocking spot not too far up Burch Canyon road - parallel to Elk Mountain road, but without the incline. We were close enough to pavement to not worry about getting stuck in mud, but far enough away so that we didn't hear traffic. Two thunderstorms rolled in overnight. The hills protected us from the wind, but the downpour was all around us. After a night with visions of flash floods ripping through our camp, I was up before sunrise. It was a beautiful, if muddy, morning

The dogs brought mud into the camper after their morning constitutionals, and Bob and I packed up quickly so as not to get more dirty inside our campers.

The morning after the storm is splendid.

We stopped at the Twin Rocks Cafe in Bluff, UT for breakfast.
I had the blue corn pancakes and eggs special. So much yum!

On the route, I saw rocks that look like a whale. (at least I think so :) )

We arrived at Canyon De Chelly National Monument and found a spot in the campground for our two rigs. We left mine, loaded the dogs into his truck, and went to see the sights.

to be continued...

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Cool, did you find the kivas and rock art at Natural Bridges? They hide in plain sight. There are a number of neat sites in this area!
We looked for them, but did not find them. Another reason to head back there soon! :-D

Oct 25 : Canyon de Chelly continued

Yikes!

This is all Reservation land and there are working farms down there.

Oct 25 : Canyon de Chelly final

I couldn't see the ruins with my eyes, but Bob pointed out where he thought they were and I zoomed in with my camera. The lens saw what I couldn't! Wow!

Pugsly enjoys getting out and clambering around, but she's old and can only do so much, so I carried her when we headed back. She was liking this walk though - see how curly her tail is? That's my barometer - the curlier the happier.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Cool, did you find the kivas and rock art at Natural Bridges? They hide in plain sight. There are a number of neat sites in this area!
Yes there are.

...............and staying tuned. :)

Oct 26 : Return

Bob and I had camper breakfast Wednesday morning and parted ways.

I left Canyon de Chelley with the intention of camping one more night, but with only a five hour drive, I just went back to my cottage. I spent the next couple of days cleaning out my camper and truck, sweeping red dust from crevices, and throwing away accumulated trash.

Most trips don't have an epiphany, an "aha! moment, and I figured this month wouldn't be an exception. But I had hoped. There was no epiphany, nor "aha!" moment, only the knowledge of time passing, my own perseverance, and how little the Earth cares about our little whims and wishes.

It’s weird being back. I don’t want to be here, but it also feels like I never left. I’m not sure what that is, but I do know that the dread I had on my drive back solidifies something I’d been waffling over.

It’s time to change direction. Roll the dice.

No Destination.

56TJWSMJIj2tRYmKYmzqkdjbm07X-NIRiTDmNkgyw_hajgERZV7SI1ituAqs30u93ZaPKm-WJeOxmLMbL4cqx1lXgRO13_46q7PB8pyDyVdvE8HkF62KLkndFuKZhfvS2U2iyEuQCUKrhVvU1qgsGGaOjspzF3hcAY-HgeDQHikqZPoj1-zboaBA4vWZt4CucgD5TFYnyFt2hW-vFRKdmVbPLED4R7wAQCluL_fkl67L4cP-Dd_qIs5uZGwRhSMSFDooOXWfBr0g7qypcG5MqIIlaQwXuIItkseeL42JoBOhPHvYNLxkRCw3N269vmG3KL8yJnSTOoIXDRyAg0oaZ2ioFVCT76y3G8AgZjKI9isngLbuy-VfVXF-Vx6JR-XpVeX-cPeID35BQyof_XHfyJJTAlP25j7BCvrL7t6ytBpRqc4V5QQIHvZcvdxGhwtB-crmvPfB5yMlsvg-sKIDVAHIvll5sNx7WNfvHXCIydoIUVSTzF-zs1EOwwBIDCmvOGv3oxXgLI-63JiqIhgkWfdfmBtHD9z_p4gwagy8D9Hg5j_wuEvv6Zj4_CirkKvLCFgArul17Q1hqscNgc-hNMlK_j2-2FX3bTqkWyeIdztPVrDR-g=w2070-h1552-no

Fun stuff!

Let's see, there was the midget faded rattlesnake on the hike into Moon House that woke me up and reminded me to pay close attention.

Also, Butler Wash on the other side of Comb Ridge is completely different and spectacular in its own right but I guess now I need to get my own TR written up...

Oh! I forgot about the baby rattlesnake! I wish I could have gotten a pic, but the little critter went and hid!

hoyden said:

Most trips don't have an epiphany, an "aha! moment, and I figured this month wouldn't be an exception. But I had hoped. There was no epiphany, nor "aha!" moment, only the knowledge of time passing, my own perseverance, and how little the Earth cares about our little whims and wishes.
Perseverance is a good thing...

It's not that the Earth cares little. The Earth freely gives us everything we need. But the waiting while we figure out what that is can be tough. ;) Utah is a great place for pondering the big questions.

Great trip report. I enjoyed it quite a lot. Thanks! Great looking new blog too. Good luck with your continuing journey.

Hoyden. Thanks for sharing your trip. Looks like everyone had a great time
jd

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

thanks, all y'all! It was a pretty damn good and interesting adventure.
and a road trip isn't an adventure until something unexpected happens!

I have had razorgirls.org since 2004 but wanted a site specifically for my campering stuff. I wish I'd put it up last year, when I got my FWC, because now I have to figure out if I want to try to move those blog posts over to no-destination.org or just start new with this as my first adventure on the new site. I probably won't move anything over, but it's too bad to not have the historical posts as available. We'll see....

I read through and viewed your TR, including maps and side references, all in one sitting this morning. It was most enjoyable! I hope you'll have the opportunity to get out and go again soon, and will again bring us along.

Foy

Back
Top Bottom