Off road flood lights

Bajaahh

Advanced Member
Im considering installing some Hella Rallye 1000 lights to the front of my camper and I was wondering if anyone has tried it? I have a 2008 Tacoma with a Finch camper. I installed the HID headlights and fog lights which are very bright but not the complete results Im looking for. What I had in mind is placing a couple of the lights(on individual "L" brackets) to the front of the camper(obviously not the pop-up portion). I know there are tons of options in lights but I am trying to brainstorm how to run the wiring, either inside the camper(and drill a hole through the front for wiring) or externally along the frame rail up through the bed and somehow run it under the extended bed of the camper to the front. Im thinking of a toggle switch inside the cab or tying it into an existing push button toggle that came with the truck.

Any ideas and/or pictures would be appreciated.
Gracias,
Scott

Hey Stan, this could possibly be a new option!

I just ran the wiring down the door frame and into then through the firewall. Lots of room in the weatherstripping they use now. Btw, these suck but they were free :cautious:
solpanelroof.jpg

OK, thats what I had in mind.
Any pro's vs cons as far as that location? Anything you would do differently?
Also, to mount it, did you bolt through the aluminum, or screw into it? I was thinking with all the vibration bolting through it would be best...
Thanks!

Is there an advantage to having the lights up high as opposed to being on a light bar on the front of the truck? It seems it would be easier to run the wires right into the engine compartment through the grill. Curious because I wouldn't mind adding some lights.

Yeah, I dont have the expertise or history with lights to know. I figured the higher up, the more light can flood forward. I agree that the wiring will be more of a pain but Id rather not have to buy a light bar or bull bar to put em on.
Any opinions?

Thats bolted through. Definitely an advantage to mounting things high, IF, you don't create glare. On my truck these are far enough back I don't get glare. Or it could be they just suck so bad theres not enough light to create glare. Lights are one place where size matters. Itty bitty reflectors reflect little light. Take a look at desert race vehicles. They mount lights up high and down low.

Now these (one on each side) I drilled and tapped plus liberal use of some adhesive. I wasn't so sure they'd last but they've done fine so far.
bosch.jpg

These do the bulk of my offroad lighting.
lightforcehella.jpg

Back
Top Bottom