Off to BC

realbtl

Contributors
Like a lot of you I like to look at maps. When I see great big areas of nothing I go "Hmmm".

So tomorrow I'm off to the northern BC coast. I'll be making my way to Williams Lake then 250-odd miles of mostly dirt road over the coast range to Bella Coola. I think there are less than 500 people along this route. Then an 8 hour ferry ride out to Bella Bella on the inside passage, camp for the night, and a 10 hour ferry to Prince Rupert BC. From Prince Rupert I'll mosey back to NW Montana. Probably 2500 miles and 2 weeks total.

The main worry is that there are a lot of wildfires in BC and only 1 road from Williams Lake to Bella Coola. If it is closed I'm probably out about $600 in ferry fees. Oh well, I guess I'll find out soon enough.

I'll post up a trip report when I get back, with plenty of pix.

I just got back from Port Hardy and there was limited visibility from the fires. Kamloops was much worse and I think most of the fires and inland. You will be ok, the farther north you go along the coast. I think you will be just fine. The temps are prefect! -Joel

Not a great time to travel. The fires are headline news. Here in Campbell River the smoke is unreal. Vis. at time less than 3 miles. The Hwy which you will take to Bella Coola, 20 miles west of Williams Lake was closed the other day. I believe it is open again. You can get a grasp of things (road report) from Drive BC. This site may help you. If you have any questions let me know, and I will see what I can do. Have a great trip, and remember your rain coat for Pr. Rupert.

Bella Bella, little advise, do not drink the water. Shearwater, across the way ok.

Road condition looks good from Willys Puddle to Bella Coola.
Have a great trip..

Robbie

When you get to Pr. Rupert and have time,if you want a good place to have local food look down at the fishing wharf area for this place. You can't miss it,good sea food. A place to camp east of P.R. is the Seeley Lake campground nice spots and if you fish the lake has some good fish. The spot to fish is where the stream comes in on the other side of the lake from the camp sites(if you have a boat of some sort) in the reeds. There is also a campground before Seeley lake its on the Kleanza Creek. Its after the town of Terrace on the right side of the road.Nice stream and falls. Hope the fires don't effect you . We are heading up that way in 4 weeks. Its beautiful country enjoy the trip.

Frank DSCN2806.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN2766.jpg
    DSCN2766.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 116
8-7 Arrived in Cache Creek this afternoon and the smoke is much reduced. It's been raining off and on since I left MT yesterday so it looks like I will be OK. Thanks for all of the tips.

Yup, good seafood at Smiles. I moved there in 1967, an that was place to go to then.
Wind has change direction and the smog is gone from here too.
Enjoy your trip.

8-7 Arrived in Cache Creek this afternoon and the smoke is much reduced. It's been raining off and on since I left MT yesterday so it looks like I will be OK. Thanks for all of the tips.

Don't know if you are at a place to check the site. If you are taking the 16 hyw. east when you get to Smithers there is a day use area called Driftwood Canyon it's a nice place to stop. Only a few miles off the main road, but the coolest thing about the place is that it's a fossil area and you can look through the talus slopes and find small ones of fish and ferns. At least 20 years ago that was the case,you were also allowed to keep any small pieces you found but were encouraged to return any large significant ones. Hope this works for you . There is a campground in the area Tyhee lake has 55 sites didn't camp there but the lake was nice. Further east is another campground on a small lake Ethel F. Wilson lake road access 24G. Its maybe 12 or so miles off the 16 north of Burns Lake.Thats about all the info i have for that area as i turned south at Pr. George. I am anxious to hear about your trip from Williams Lake to Bella Colla as i would like to make that trip. Have talked about it for years so soon may be the time. Safe travels.

Frank

Back
Top Bottom