OK I'm an idiot

rotti

So the tires are ten years old with 40k on them, I'm close to Dead Indian Pass, middle of know where Wyoming and i'm probably going a little too fast for conditions. Attached are the results (this is my first image upload-I hope it works).

So I'm now in the market for new tires. Anyone have any experience with Mich LTX/MS2 tires? Any other suggestions?

Oh and one last thing, put down your mouse and go out and check your spare tire NOW. I'm sure mine had air in it ten years ago when it was new. I'd like to give a heart felt thank you to Sandy the ranchers daughter.
flat tire.JPG

Yikes! You must of had an exciting moment there for awhile. I don't think you can go wrong with Michelins. They make pretty good tire.

mike

So did Sandy help you pass the time while you waited for AAA to come put air in your spare? :oops:

Seriously though, good reminder for everyone and glad that everything turned out okay.

Not a lot of AAA in this country. Actually I was more concerned with all the griz - makes it hard to get a good a good nights sleep.
Lucky for me the ranchers daughter was able to provide me with air although it was about a 3 hour ordeal.

I'm thinking of going with the LTX/MS2 although it sure doesn't look like much of a off road tread.

Attachments

• IMG_0205.jpg
    IMG_0205.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_0207.jpg
    IMG_0207.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_0214.jpg
    IMG_0214.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_0215.jpg
    IMG_0215.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 214
I'm thinking of going with the LTX/MS2 although it sure doesn't look like much of a off road tread.

I have the LTX/MS2 tires, not sure how they will work in mud but no problem on rocks.

Thanks, enjoyed your video.
I have read nothing but good reviews of the LTX and I like the high mileage they seem to offer: 70,000???
My other choice was the BFG AT but I've never got over 40k with those.
Thanks again.

Wow, that does not look like a very fun "flat" at all. Yikes. I guess lucky it did not happen to more than one tire. I would also guess you were driving a lot slower after the repair.

I have bridgestones on the truck now, but they are coming up on 6 years. Not a whole lot of miles as it is the weekend/travel truck. I was just thinking that the rubber on these is getting old and I should replace them even if they have some pretty good tread on them. I think this will get me to do that very soon.

I try to check that spare when I can, and it always seems low. Nice to have on board air, but should probably get a better spare tire.

This is a wake up call. Thanks for sharing. Let us know what you think about tires, as I am just starting the search.

Dave in seattle

I love my LTX2 in E-rated. A real solid tire and no traction problems. Lugs aren't very big if you plan to add chains though. I'd skip the M/S ones unless you regularly hit mud/snow. We put dedicated snows on in the winter.

Well I went ahead and got the LTX/MS2 and a 4 wheel alignment. First impressions are they are very quiet and smooth, seem
to track and corner very well (I'm sure the alignment helped) and come with a 70,000 mile warranty. We'll see about the mileage.
I've never got much over 40k on any tire in my life. Off road and mud and snow impressions will have to wait.

Dave or other Wanders, I was wondering what you use or would recommend for on board air? After this past week this would seem
to be an excellent option to have available. By the way Dave, TireRack.com has a lot of good customer reviews on this and any other
tire you can think off.

Well I went ahead and got the LTX/MS2 and a 4 wheel alignment. First impressions are they are very quiet and smooth, seem
to track and corner very well (I'm sure the alignment helped) and come with a 70,000 mile warranty. We'll see about the mileage.
I've never got much over 40k on any tire in my life. Off road and mud and snow impressions will have to wait.

Dave or other Wanders, I was wondering what you use or would recommend for on board air? After this past week this would seem
to be an excellent option to have available. By the way Dave, TireRack.com has a lot of good customer reviews on this and any other
tire you can think off.

I installed on board air a few weeks back..an Extreme Air "Magnum" compressor and a small air tank. Works great. The compressor is mounted under the bed, and the tank is mounted between the frame and body.

Attachments

• compr.jpg
    compr.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 114
  • tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 106
Deltarat...
that is one nice onboard air system.

In general, I think you could just have a compressor to fill all your tires and air needs....but it takes some time and sometimes, the compressors need a break if you air down all of the tires. Hence, the tank is real nice to have loaded and then fill tires. Makes quick work and you can even run some air tools. This is what I will get on my next truck. Now, I just run compressor sans tank. saves space, but does take time.

There are lots of installs all over the web. I guess you gotta know what you are going to do with yours before you design it.

Dave in seattle

Deltarat...
that is one nice onboard air system.

In general, I think you could just have a compressor to fill all your tires and air needs....but it takes some time and sometimes, the compressors need a break if you air down all of the tires. Hence, the tank is real nice to have loaded and then fill tires. Makes quick work and you can even run some air tools. This is what I will get on my next truck. Now, I just run compressor sans tank. saves space, but does take time.

There are lots of installs all over the web. I guess you gotta know what you are going to do with yours before you design it.

Dave in seattle

The reason I chose the magnum compressor is the fact it's rated at
100 percent duty cycle. Doesn't require any cool down time. It
Draws 100 amps under full load (140 PSI), so a good electrical system is
Required.

I'm running some good year ATs with E load rating. They held up nicely bombing around the gravel two tracks & sage brush in the Yakima training center the other weekend even with a couple "surprise" bumps thrown in. Helped build confidence on the tires and camper to truck mounting. :p

After spending close to a grand for my new shoes I think I may need a little cheaper alternative in my quest for air? Any cheaper options like Costco or even a good hand pump? I've got a small tire repair kit with CO2 for my Harley but I've never seen anything similar for trucks.

Places like the big marts have little 12v compressors for about $30. Better than nothing. Do you carry a repair kit?

I would not air down my tires with only a cheap air compressor. Would not want to risk no being able to air back up.

After spending close to a grand for my new shoes I think I may need a little cheaper alternative in my quest for air? Any cheaper options like Costco or even a good hand pump? I've got a small tire repair kit with CO2 for my Harley but I've never seen anything similar for trucks.

Oh yeah, its out there. Might be a bit more than you want to spend though.

http://www.powertank.com/products/sfID1/13/productID/76

Back
Top Bottom