Old Grandby Popped...

Swaff1

Advanced Member
IMG_0403.jpg
After getting it home, Pretty surprised of the condition , the fridge, heater and stove all work! Looks like someone may have updated it at one time as it has the rounded windows...
probably start cleaning it up straighten the roof, and rebuild lifts...

Attachments

• IMG_0404.jpg
    IMG_0404.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_0402.jpg
    IMG_0402.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 171
Still would like to find a good source for canvas ...anyone have experience? seen a couple of DIYs but just wan to order it and I can install it...

Looks like a good score. After you clean the fabric, put a coating of 303 or similar product to keep the fabric pliable. Do you use anything with petroleum in the ingredients.

Beach said:
Looks like a good score. After you clean the fabric, put a coating of 303 or similar product to keep the fabric pliable. Do you use anything with petroleum in the ingredients.
Thanks Beach, any suggestions on cleaner for the fabric? it does have some mildew water damage on the front corners, it has the insulated double layer so some of it is stained between layers , not sure how to clean that..

PVC based fabric once stained from mildew will not clean up like new, there will always be a trace of the stain. You should clean though and kill any active mildew, If you want to clean I would use a 10% bleach solution or a Lysol type product with bleach, (always test any cleaner in a inconspicuous spot to see if it affects the fabric). Leave it on for a few minutes then thoroughly flush with fresh water. Allow to dry then apply 303.

Beach said:
PVC based fabric once stained from mildew will not clean up like new, there will always be a trace of the stain. You should clean though and kill any active mildew, If you want to clean I would use a 10% bleach solution or a Lysol type product with bleach, (always test any cleaner in a inconspicuous spot to see if it affects the fabric). Leave it on for a few minutes then thoroughly flush with fresh water. Allow to dry then apply 303.
Thanks Beach!

Congrats on the new camper. I think it will serve you quite well. Before I DIY'd my canvas I had talked to FWC and All Terrian. New canvas runs $1k plus.

My guess is FWC is so busy with new orders it might be hard to get, I would try All terrain first for that particular need.

Enjoy the camping!

Nice find! We have an 87 Grandby. Ours seems to be original. In comparison, yours has been upgraded. The windows are upgraded, the cushions have been recovered and those curtains are DEFINITELY not original. :) The floor looks the same though.

Have fun with your new toy!

Kyrazy said:
Nice find! We have an 87 Grandby. Ours seems to be original. In comparison, yours has been upgraded. The windows are upgraded, the cushions have been recovered and those curtains are DEFINITELY not original. :) The floor looks the same though.

Yes , would like to date it but the windows would be 90s or newer , but appliances in it are from like 1983... cant quite figure it out ...

jimjxsn said:
Great score. That Grandby looks to be in nice condition.

303 aerospace also makes a cleaner that works well.
It was in surprising condition when i picked it up! All appliances work, canvas was not bad considering age. Front lift is starting to get little floppy but still works just the same...Just little things need to be buttoned up to be useable, really happy seller was totally honest about what was right and what was wrong with it, couldn't be happier!!
Thanks for the input on cleaners and sealers!!

Kyrazy said:

Thanks for the input , interesting to try to date or find figure out the history and changes made along the years, almost seems to have been updated at factory, with newer windows and is narrow enough to fit in 2002 silverado, but the floor looks totally factory not modified..Almost looks like someone used an 80s grandby to update a 90s or vice versa.

They could have narrowed without damaging the part of the floor that you see. Sure wish ours would fit a newer truck. Love the '78 Chevy but we have a '95 Silverado diesel that would handle it better for the longer trips. Darn thing is literally 3/4 of an inch too narrow! Your door opens opposite of ours, although still the square one. I agree with Beach on the mildew. We had some in the front corner. Killed it but the stain remains a little, especially with the inner foam lining. I made new curtains for the entire camper and used the left over fabric to make some little corner curtains that hide the stains. The newer canvas doesn't have the inner foam insulation lining like our canvas does. Enjoy the journey.

Back
Top Bottom