Old School Heating Solutions?

I camped there many times when I was in college and it does get very cold there but I would not want to burn wood in my little camper..

I would think done right it is safe. As propane has been known to increase moisture as a by product burning wood does dry the opposite, beneficial to wood bases construction. Just be 100% careful

From my perspective, you can turn a furnace off if it gets too warm in the trailer. A wood stove, not so much. Way too easy to turn your trailer into a sauna, I would think.

Carbon Monoxide detector?
I would add a stovepipe cap/wind deflector so gusts do not force a backdraft down the pipe, into the stove and into the camper while you sleep.

Combustion is combustion, and the by-products of that if not a clean fuel or not correctly proportioned air/fuel include CO and moisture. There's a reason that the RV type heaters exhaust outside and have a heat exchanger inside them. The combustion technically happens 'outside' so that the combustion by-products are never inside the RV in the first place.

I can only say that I have (and still do) camped hundreds of nights in a cabin tent with a wood stove. Granted it is naturally more vented than a camper and I do use a smoke/CO detector. I don't think I would want to do the same in a FWC, but most of the sheepherder type rigs do so. The stove must be airtight and well vented. These stove are surprisingly easy to regulate and the one I use is an "8 hour" stove and very efficient.

cwd

Nice installation video (makes sense on a trailer):

Kev’s Alaskan Overland Sauna Gear Trailer @hugothebiggreenvan - Tiny Wood Stove

added this website: Small, Efficient, Modern Wood Burning Stoves on 2019 Jan 08
  • The one small advantage is not being restricted to entering tunnels as is the case with propane tanks.
  • Not troubled by altitude.
  • It's reliability as well as its durability is unmatched.
  • I'm assuming it can also heat a pot of water... can it fry an egg?

• Cost of these little stoves is close to the cost of an Atwood et. al., minus the installation and related systems and maintenance.
  • Another disadvantage is cleaning, as well as assuring that it is completely extinguished for safe travel.
  • Setting up a flue at rest stops is another issue; it might prove too attractive to the fire marshal and it may just burn some overly curious youngster while in operation.

• All the talk about needing adequate ventilation for the catalytic type seems counterintuitive to the goal at hand. But it does makes sense for this application.

• A proper furnace system will mean upgrading my 35 amp house battery as well as likely upgrading to solar. Love the idea, but I'm still not there yet.

Summed up: I have my doubts about this wood stove in a truck camper. The space to maneuver seems just a tad to confining for that. I've never used wood pellets, but maybe that would be the fuel to use in a situation like this. Pellets can be far more efficient and easier to haul.

For the time being I will likely burn through all those one pounders when I repurchase another buddy heater.

Thanks to all for treating my desire to maintain some semblance of comfort with your thoughtful responses.

Here's two other YT channels using wood stoves in their trailers:

Here is Elsa Rhae camped in her Scamp at -11 degrees F.

Back
Top Bottom