on the road repairs

DonC

Curious what creative things people have done on the road with their campers, not trucks.

I just got back from 8 days in Death Valley. Since I have broken 3 turnbuckle connection bolts and 1 turnbuckle in the past, I have a habit of checking these frequently and carrying an extra turnbuckle. Previously when a bolt broke, the eyebolt was still in the truck bed. So as long as I carried an extra bolt, I could do the repair.

Well, after many miles of washboard, I checked my turnbuckles, and saw the passenger side rear was laying in the bed of the truck, and this time the eyebolt must have slid out the bed of the truck as it was missing.

What to do? I had extra bolts, but did not have an extra eyebolt so I could connect the turnbuckle. But I had an extra turnbuckle so I unscrewed one end and fed it through to use as the hook, and used the turnbuckle body as the nut. It worked for four more days of Death Valley and was still tight when I got home.

Mine is a 2012 Fleet and I think they have since gone to a new connection system on the camper - I need to replace mine with that. I also don't like the FWC turnbuckles, so need to find a replacement for those too.

What creative things have you had to do on the road?

Attachments

• IMG_0330.JPG
    IMG_0330.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 181
The wiring harness going from the truck to the camper got pinched and cut right next to the battery. Causing all the 80 amp fuses to blow. Since my soldering torch refused to work I removed the wires and carefully used my stove to solder all the connections back together.

That is the only thing that has ever happened to my camper. My truck on the other hand...

DonC said:
Curious what creative things people have done on the road with their campers, not trucks.

I just got back from 8 days in Death Valley. Since I have broken 3 turnbuckle connection bolts and 1 turnbuckle in the past, I have a habit of checking these frequently and carrying an extra turnbuckle. Previously when a bolt broke, the eyebolt was still in the truck bed. So as long as I carried an extra bolt, I could do the repair.

Well, after many miles of washboard, I checked my turnbuckles, and saw the passenger side rear was laying in the bed of the truck, and this time the eyebolt must have slid out the bed of the truck as it was missing.

What to do? I had extra bolts, but did not have an extra eyebolt so I could connect the turnbuckle. But I had an extra turnbuckle so I unscrewed one end and fed it through to use as the hook, and used the turnbuckle body as the nut. It worked for four more days of Death Valley and was still tight when I got home.

Mine is a 2012 Fleet and I think they have since gone to a new connection system on the camper - I need to replace mine with that. I also don't like the FWC turnbuckles, so need to find a replacement for those too.

What creative things have you had to do on the road?
Are you using a rubber mat? My turnbuckles use to loosen all the time on my eagle shell. I think it was due to FWC supplied rubber mat. Currently, the turn buckles on my well option hawk has yet to loosen after 1 year of use. It has no rubber mat, just linex.

super doody said:
Are you using a rubber mat? My turnbuckles use to loosen all the time on my eagle shell. I think it was due to FWC supplied rubber mat. Currently, the turn buckles on my well option hawk has yet to loosen after 1 year of use. It has no rubber mat, just linex.
x2 for just LineX and no mat.

Power Steering hose blew in the camp-ground in Oak Creek Cyn on a Saturday morning. Drove all over Flagstaff looking for one. Had to hit up the Sears for the right sized flare wrench. Changed it in the alley behind the chain parts store that finally had the hose.

Back
Top Bottom