only 3 tie downs?

DonC

Heading out next weekend and in doing my routine prep noticed that my left front tie down was laying in the bed of the truck. Reached up to reconnected and the connection point to the camper is sheared off.

I know I need to get this fixed soon, but is it ok to do highway driving and light dirt road for a week trip with only 3 tie downs?

Yikes... If it were me, and the sheared area was on the rear of the camper, I'd go! If it were one of the front tie-downs, that would make me nervous. YMMV

Love to hear what others think.

When it happened to me (3,000 miles from home) I used an ordinary cloth ratchet strap on the outside to hold the corner in place.
Put one hook on the flange used for jacking, the other whatever I could catch under the truck. Held fine at turnpike speeds and back roads.

Here's are article about a popup camper that had one front tie down fail in high winds on the freeway.

Of course with very high head winds, even the whole truck and camper together could blow over.

I am convinced that four strong over-rated tie downs are probably necessary.

Not sure I would ever want to drive out on the freeway with only one front tie down, especially in stormy weather.

http://www.truckcampermagazine.com/camper-lifestyle/a-northstar-downunder-up-over-and-right-again

1-11-2014 5-45-17 PM.jpg

yikes... I'll call FWC Monday am to see what the say and probably test out the new dealer in Southern California this week.

I contacted the new dealer in southern Calif, American RV. Even though they were booked, they saw me first thing Monday am, installed a new bolt connection on the camper, and had me on the way within a few hours.

They are a very friendly group and it will be great to have someone in southern Calif that can do some of these basic repairs.

Thanks to American RV.

I see you already had it repaired and "Hittheroad" had a great temporary fix if your in a bind.
Assuming you have the ability to do the work it is very easy to fix yourself. The hardest part is taking the camper off your truck. Once you do that, go to the hardware store and buy a Grade 8 bolt with matching threads(buy an extra for a spare), Figure out which internal pieces of the camper to unscrew that will allow you access to the top of the sheared bolt/eyelet. Remove the sheared bolt from the eyelet, screw in the new bolt with a dab of blue threadlock and your good to go!
Safe travels.

Back
Top Bottom