Opened Turnbuckles

Had one of my aluminum hooks bend the other day, when I got rear ended and it shifted the camper slightly and put a small dent in the back of the camper. I'm guessing that the aluminum actually helped to absorb some of the impact force from the accident (fairly slow as it was in the middle of a corner in town).

Quick trip to the hardware store for a new hook and all appears to be well again other than having to get an estimate for the repairs ...

just read this thread.
  • I've never been comfortable with using FWC camper mounting points (eyebolt in plywood). some failures documented.
  • I've never been comfortable with drilling the truck bed and creating a tie down point with washers and eyebolts like some people do. some failures documented. At a minimum, I would build brackets solid to the frame.
  • I've never been comfortable with the cheapo turnbuckles (topic of this thread).
All are WEAK!
Although I like the benefits of internal mounting, from day 1 I have used:
  • external camper tie down points at aluminum frame (jack brackets or custom bracket).
  • truck camper system such as torq-lift
  • upgraded turnbuckles
Not perfect, but I feel it is a much stronger set-up. For as much advertising as FWC does with "overlanding", "expeditions" etc., I would think they would have a designed a better mounting. We should not even be discussing it. We should all be saying "wow, sure to love this bomber tie-down system FWC uses. It is so convenient and never hear of any problems!" (Ya, I know, in a perfect world.)
The camper we had when I was a kid was bolted directly to the truck frame through the floor. Never wiggled!

Kilroy,

X2. The Anchorguard noted above by cdbrow1 as an in bed, but the bottom is anchored to a point outside the bed. It appears to be way too long for the space under the camper to the bed. The factory turnbuckles are shorter. I to plan on getting a couple of extra ones. jd

longhorn1 said:
Kilroy,

X2. The Anchorguard noted above by cdbrow1 as an in bed, but the bottom is anchored to a point outside the bed. It appears to be way too long for the space under the camper to the bed. The factory turnbuckles are shorter. I to plan on getting a couple of extra ones. jd
I saw that - it looks more like an "on the bed" rather than "in the bed"

iowahiker said:
After reading the reports of lost turnbuckles and bent hooks this past winter, I finally settled on my choice for replacing the OEM FWC aluminum 350 pound hook turnbuckles: Jaw-Jaw marine grade stainless steel 3/8" shaft with a rating of over 1,000 pounds. I ordered a set which run about $25 each. I can not vouch for any vendor so I may order two each from two different vendors since prices were all nearly the same. My camper stays on full time so hook-hook turnbuckles are not needed for easy loading/unloading of the camper. Jaw-jaw seems to be an obvious cure to bent hooks and turnbuckles falling off (hopefully not famous-last-words). Marine grade turnbuckles provide a good choice of locking nuts and safety clips to prevent turnbuckles from coming off. Here is an Amazon example:

http://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Marine-Turnbuckle-Pulley-Swivel/dp/B00PGD8BLQ/ref=sr_1_87?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1424386345&sr=1-87&keywords=turnbuckle
How hard was it getting to arms into the turnbuckle opening to get the nut on and the pin in place? I see this as something I would consider doing when I put the camper on full time. jd

billharr said:
I have all my turn buckles set to tighten by turning clockwise looking down.
I carry an old lathe wrench to tighten 1/2 turn after hand tight. Flat handle fits in middle of turn buckle.

$T2eC16VHJGIE9nnWqs!UBQ+hKpkZyg~~60_35.JPG
Good one, Bill. I have a three way allen wrench from my biking kit that fits in the slot on the turnbuckle for the last 1/2 turn. I keep the wrench in the drawer, and it's handy for a few other fittings like the Yak Racks. Like others here, I set mine up to be CC turn when viewed from above. I have nylock wingnuts (regular thread, of course) on the top of each turnbuckle. Until I added the wingnuts, I had a reoccurring loose turnbuckles.

I put red Lock-tite in the rear turn-buckles after having them work loose. I later realized that the fronts were getting tight, so it was the camper trying to center itself fore/aft btwn the anchors (6' camper in an 8' bed). This was before the rubber bed mat. Now with that in place they don't change, and in spite of my having re-adjusted those rear turn-buckles (& thus breaking loose the Lock-tite) they don't loosen. I can see them in my mirrors so I'm regularly checking them for looseness.

I like the idea of a rubber bed mat. I would think it would help with sliding issues and maybe a teeny bit of shock absorption......
Anyone have an issue with a bed mat. I was going to get one when I get my truck.

I use the rubber bed mat and although I check my turnbuckles before, sometimes during and after every trip, I've never had one come loose. I haven't done any really harsh driving as many here have, so YMMV. I suspect that the mat acts like a lock washer and keeps enough tension on the turnbuckles to keep them from vibrating loose under less than extreme conditions.

Alan

alano said:
I use the rubber bed mat and although I check my turnbuckles before, sometimes during and after every trip, I've never had one come loose. I haven't done any really harsh driving as many here have, so YMMV. I suspect that the mat acts like a lock washer and keeps enough tension on the turnbuckles to keep them from vibrating loose under less than extreme conditions.

Alan
I bought a rubber med mat, but I did not install it. I think next time I take the camper off I will install it. I have not had any significant loosing in 4000 miles - some on pretty rough roads but I do get nervous.

Happyjax said:
Anyone have an issue with a bed mat. I was going to get one when I get my truck.
I would definitely get one.

This is the one I have:
http://www.carid.com/2007-chevy-silverado-truck-bed-accessories/dee-zee-bed-mat-15749207.html?gclid=COePsoz-kcQCFReTfgodxU4AIw

I have had them on two different trucks, under two different FWC campers for 30 some years and well over 100,000 miles of use. Never had an issue. I travel quite a bit of rough/4wd roads and didn't have problems with the bolt through the floor elevator bolts on my old Grandby nor the turnbuckles on my now 3 year old Hawk. Another plus is paint protection, the bed in my old truck looked like new when I sold it.

Perhaps a good thread would be: Have owners using bed mats had problems with loosening of the turnbuckles/tie downs?

rotti said:
I would definitely get one.

This is the one I have:
http://www.carid.com/2007-chevy-silverado-truck-bed-accessories/dee-zee-bed-mat-15749207.html?gclid=COePsoz-kcQCFReTfgodxU4AIw

I have had them on two different trucks, under two different FWC campers for 30 some years and well over 100,000 miles of use. Never had an issue. I travel quite a bit of rough/4wd roads and didn't have problems with the bolt through the floor elevator bolts on my old Grandby nor the turnbuckles on my now 3 year old Hawk. Another plus is paint protection, the bed in my old truck looked like new when I sold it.

Perhaps a good thread would be: Have owners using bed mats had problems with loosening of the turnbuckles/tie downs?
Instead of a bed mat I chose to use a spray in liner. I've had the same experience as Rotti with it, no slippage or loosening of turnbuckles. When I've had the camper out the liner looks almost as good as it did the day they sprayed it in.

I have the spray in liner and as I have said I have had good luck so far. Since I have the rubber mat already I think I will add it next time I pull the camper off.

cdbrow1 said:
I have the spray in liner and as I have said I have had good luck so far. Since I have the rubber mat already I think I will add it next time I pull the camper off.
Yes, guess I should add I have both also.
LineX spray in with the rubber mat on top to keep the spray in pretty.

I have the Ziebart spray in bed liner and I also have a Dee Zee mat custom fit for a F-250 - 8' bed. The mat was $100+/-. jd

longhorn1 said:
I have the Ziebart spray in bed liner and I also have a Dee Zee mat custom fit for a F-250 - 8' bed. The mat was $100+/-. jd
I have the DeeZee mat too

For a mat, check out your feed and seed stores. They often sell stall mats at a reasonable price. Mine is 3/8" thick, and was $5.00 a linear foot. I think you can get thicker mats, too. They are made from shredded tires.

Back
Top Bottom