Opinions Wanted...

The Unshaven

Advanced Member
Howdy All,

I am planning out building a fridge slide for my 37 quart ARB. I am going to install it where the ice box currently resides in the FWC Fleet, front dinette. I am in the group "ice box sucks" and want to put the space to a different use. This topic is not about the merits of where an ARB should go or what better to do with the space once the ice box is removed. I want to put my ARB there because I feel like it. You may opine on those subjects if you please, just know that I never let good sense get in the way of my feelings. :unsure:
What I am hoping for opinions on is whether or not to leave the Styrofoam insulation in place that was installed behind the ice box. The cons of doing so that crossed my mind are as follows.
  1. Ugly to look at (feelings again...). Would require me to hide it with more wood work, adding to cost and weight.
  2. Although it will be open in front, will constrict the space, leading to less air flow and warmer temps. around fridge, leading to more power draw?
  3. Would hold in the warmer temps. from the fridge running, opposite from the original point of the Styrofoam keeping outside heat away from the ice box.
What say you? Thanks for your feedback.

I think you've already made that decision. You listed nothing but negatives about leaving it in place.

I recently removed the ice box from the rear drivers side of my Hawk to install a Dometic compressor fridge. While the ice box had insulation sprayed on the shell, there was no additional insulation inside the opening along the walls.
I ended up removing the front panel of the ice box cabinet and my opening is now tall enough to open the lid of the fridge, but I would also like to add a slide to be able to pull it out for easier access and to secure it while traveling.

Reading other forums on the replacement of an ice box with a standard front opening fridge, owners were adding insulation to keep the space cooler as well as an exhaust fan to move the fridge's hot air outside. I have several inches of unused space around my fridge, so I plan to add both insulation and an exhaust fan set up to my camper.

I've seen the slides companies like ARB sell, but they're more than I want to spend, so I'm interested in learning how you build and install your slide.

The Unshaven said:
. . .
What I am hoping for opinions on is whether or not to leave the Styrofoam insulation in place that was installed behind the ice box. . . .
My opinion is to take the insulation out to give the exhaust fan an easier life (a less constricted space). You might also think about adding another exhaust fan to help (exhausting to outside or inside).

EDR said:
. . .

I've seen the slides companies like ARB sell, but they're more than I want to spend, so I'm interested in learning how you build and install your slide.

http://www.rockler.com/centerline-lifetime-series-757a-100-lb-full-extension-shelf-slides-drawer-slides

jim

Thanks for the idea Jim.

My portable fridge has a gap of approx. 1" - 2" between it and the inner walls, so mounting side mounted slides may be challenging.

I was looking at the other drawer slides on Rockler's site and was thinking the undermount slides may work. I guess I'll have to figure out what a fully loaded 40Q fridge with a sturdy base would weigh to see if that style of slide will support the weight.

Thanks all for the input...
Vic Harder said:
kind of depends on if you generally camp cold or warm, doesn't it?
I think I will leave the Styrofoam in the back that insulates from the outer wall of the camper since I do camp in warm conditions at times

EDR said:
I'll see if I can figure out how to post some pictures when I'm done.

JaSAn said:
My opinion is to take the insulation out to give the exhaust fan an easier life (a less constricted space). You might also think about adding another exhaust fan to help (exhausting to outside or inside).

http://www.rockler.com/centerline-lifetime-series-757a-100-lb-full-extension-shelf-slides-drawer-slides

jim
Adding a fan even if not vented to the outside is a good idea. I am also looking at the 100lb full extension slides. should be enough for my application.

Thanks again for offering your input. It has helped me make decisions...

Hi The

Remember to carefully consider what you fasten the slides too in the camper...full extension SIDE slides in any cabinet exert an enormous amount of leverage on whatever they are fastened too.

Is there a floor mount slide you are using ?

Good luck with the project.

David Graves

DavidGraves said:
Remember to carefully consider what you fasten the slides too in the camper...full extension SIDE slides in any cabinet exert an enormous amount of leverage on whatever they are fastened too.

Is there a floor mount slide you are using ?
Aluminum or angle iron will make a side mount into a floor mount.

I would suggest making a slide out shelf to mount the refrigerator on rather than try to attach a slide to the side of the case.

jim

Here is the finished product. The wood I used for the build is red oak, chosen because it is pretty solid and tough. The drawer slides I got from McMaster Carr and are a full extension lock open/lock closed design with a 300lb capacity (for mobile applications).

I fabbed up the slides to set down inside the gaps that the Styrofoam insulation used to set in. I notched out the back sides to fit over the wiring in the back of the compartment. My goal was to not put any holes in any of the existing cabinetry. Also, to help ease any wear and tear on the mounting hardware and wood that I fabbed the slides out of, the wood attached to the inside of the slide is built to ever so lightly rub on the bottom of the compartment. I will eventually wax these areas to ease sliding (it rides fine now, just think it may help a little to reduce the friction factor).

In order to keep the whole thing from tipping forward when the slide is out, I installed two upright red oak pieces that fit vertically at the back of the compartment, against the wall. They extend from the top of the pieces I built and the roof of the compartment. Compression fitting for now, cut to snug tolerances. I may eventually have to secure the uprights with two small angle brackets and two screws. Have to road and trail test... (No pic that shows this, sorry. Maybe coming soon!)

I plan to use a ratchet strap or Velcro strap to hold the fridge to the slide. Will eventually post pics of what I settle on.

Note that my fridge is only the 37qt., making the fit possible.

Attachments

• IMG_1837.JPG
    IMG_1837.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_1836.JPG
    IMG_1836.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_1843.JPG
    IMG_1843.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_1847.JPG
    IMG_1847.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_1848.JPG
    IMG_1848.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_1849.JPG
    IMG_1849.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_1851.JPG
    IMG_1851.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 105
Forgot...the DIY angle saved me about $175 and about 15 pounds of weight when compared to buying the ARB slide. It also enabled me to build it the size needed for my application. I probably spent more on the slides than necessary since I think I went WAY overkill on them.

IMG_2288.JPG

This is a great way to go! After starting with the attached photo, I would add that you should secure the fridge to the slide itself. If you go off-road, it could fly out of it's nest very quickly!

Nicely done!

Riley

Back
Top Bottom