Optimal location for roof rack cross bars

OffTheGridMaps

Advanced Member
I've recently purchased a 2005 FWC Eagle (2-piece roof) and would like to add a roof rack to carry paddleboards, canoe, etc.

What is the optimal front-to-back location to position the roof rack cross-bars? One consideration I have is loading my canoe (~70lbs). I thought I might be able to add a roller bar to the rear crossbar, so that I could self-load/unload. If the roller bar is wide enough (~36") and set far enough back, I was thinking I might be able to flip the canoe upside down, load from the rear, and just push/slide the canoe onto the roof without coming into contact with the camper.

Also, any recommended roller roof rack setups? I found a couple from Yakima and an off-brand:

Anything else on the market that people have used?

I had a FWC Ranger with the factory canoe rack and now have an ATC Panther with the Yakima tracks. I like having the rack on the tracks because you can adjust the space between the bars to fit your needs. On the ends works great for a long canoe but not for most other items.

For loading I use a Yakima outrigger which is similar to the Yakima boatloader. You can get an idea from these pics -

Thule photo -
177843_sized_1800x1200_rev_2-M.jpg

Here are some poor pictures of it on my camper.

rack2-L.jpg

20180930_171214-L.jpg

I just prop the bow onto the outrigger with the stern on the ground. Then I grab the stern and swing it over onto the rack.

With my old camper with the factory canoe rack I even made an outrigger out of smaller diameter square tube.

I found that method better than trying to load from the back.

**And it really helps to have crossbars close to as wide as the camper.**

Back
Top Bottom