options I would like to see

Bombsight,

I think most of us on here wouldn't have a shore power option to power the AC, thus don't need/want one...

Please do your homework on Phoenix before you go that route, some good threads on EXPO...

f.

Bombsight said:
The front dinette floor plan needs an AC option in the Hawk model !!!!!

... for that matter, an AC option should be available on ANY model.

Consequently, I think some are going with other name brands like Phoenix because of the custom design offerings they provide.

A shower and AC isnt too much to ask is it?
I would suggest you read through this entire thread if you're considering a Phoenix camper. Not saying they don't make a good product but it's always good to be armed when negotiating custom work.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/119653-My-Taco-Phoenix-Pop-Up-Camper

SunMan said:
I've often thought about this idea too, but AFIAK nobody has done it. I suspect there could be structural issues in the roof frame that might prohibit this. I've never gone so far to compare the measurements of the hatch with the roof spars. If it were possible I also suspect there would be too much work ( andcost) involved for me personally. But man, wouldn't it be cool to lie in bed and star gaze??!!
The lift panel handle is offset. Here is a picture of the skylight on Tom's camper.

super doody said:
Only option offered with Phoenix I would want is under the bed storage. It would eliminate shuffling dufle bags of clothes back and forth
I would also add the non pull out queen size bed that is on the flatbed FWCs.

Frosty_1 said:
Bombsight,

I think most of us on here wouldn't have a shore power option to power the AC, thus don't need/want one...

Please do your homework on Phoenix before you go that route, some good threads on EXPO...

f.
I would think most on here would have a Generator? Guess not.
I dont want to but I'd give up the shower in a heart beat for AC. It just confuses me how FWC can offer 3 different floor plans but cant impliment an AC in all of them :unsure: .
A slight change in cabinetry is all it would take .... it seems.

Oh well, necessity is the mother of invention..

Bombsight - this forum is heavily weighted toward people in the west, which IMO helps explain why so many can go without A/C. Most of the great pics are at the desert, high altitude, or the beach...all generally cooler at night than a Southeastern summer. I see you're in Texas, where A/C is probably more necessary for more of the year than for most of the other users here. I bet most WTW posters probably don't carry generators as standard kit (although many do).

I'm in the Southeast as well, and an A/C is a requirement for me...even if I have to add an aftermarket one, and even if I have to carry a generator (which I already bought in preparation).

Bombsight said:
I would think most on here would have a Generator? Guess not.
I dont want to but I'd give up the shower in a heart beat for AC. It just confuses me how FWC can offer 3 different floor plans but cant impliment an AC in all of them :unsure: .
A slight change in cabinetry is all it would take .... it seems.

Oh well, necessity is the mother of invention..
The cabinet set-up has a lot to do with whether the camper can have a AC unit. For me my Grandby and front dinette would not allow. I just wqent out and bought a small portable AC that ducts out the turn buckle door. Works great, There is a picture on my blog.

Camping world has this one that heats and cools and can be run with a 2kw generator.

Propane would seem to be an better approach. than carrying gasoline for a generator plus propane for a fridge, heating and cooking.

Searching for "propane rv air conditioner" produced several hits that might be worth checking out.

Paul

longhorn1 said:
The cabinet set-up has a lot to do with whether the camper can have a AC unit. For me my Grandby and front dinette would not allow. I just wqent out and bought a small portable AC that ducts out the turn buckle door. Works great, There is a picture on my blog.
Can you please give us a link? Great blog, but I didn't see the A/C pics.

JJ1 said:
Bombsight - this forum is heavily weighted toward people in the west, which IMO helps explain why so many can go without A/C. Most of the great pics are at the desert, high altitude, or the beach...all generally cooler at night than a Southeastern summer. I see you're in Texas, where A/C is probably more necessary for more of the year than for most of the other users here. I bet most WTW posters probably don't carry generators as standard kit (although many do).

I'm in the Southeast as well, and an A/C is a requirement for me...even if I have to add an aftermarket one, and even if I have to carry a generator (which I already bought in preparation).
I think this is correct. We leave TX every summer for 2 weeks and always go west to escape the heat but, also just because we love the mountains. I don't bring my Honda 2000 along on these trips because we just don't need it but as you know, any type of camping in TX during the summer (and even spring and fall sometimes) requires AC unless you have a very high heat tolerance. I wish FWC had a factory AC option for the Fleet but I'll just work around it for our summertime beach trips with a temporary type setup. The obvious advantage to the temporary setup is that it's removable.

I assume the skylight opens? I don't really care for a skylight but poking my head out would be nice.

JJ1 said:
Can you please give us a link? Great blog, but I didn't see the A/C pics.
Go to our blog and click on the McCormick's Creek Post. The first photo shows the A/C Unit. I believe i paid around $325 for the unit. It has a self-contained de-humidifier. I connect a short hose anyways and along with the large duct piping were run through a piece of single-ply roof with the holes cut out. This covers the turnbuckle door completely so no bugs can get in. It does take up a little of the aisle, but having the cool camper was the better alternative. I take it when we are camping with shore power and the temperatures are hot. It rides behind the drivers seat.

http://www.compactappliance.com/Koldfront-7000-BTU-Slim-Design-Portable-Air-Conditioner-White/PAC701W.html

Back
Top Bottom