options I would like to see

Someone (3pins? Lighthawk?) put some footman loops on each side part way up and ran some webbing with Fastex buckles across the opening. I need to find those parts that I bought and get on that project....

I used some too to secure my 5gal water container in the open spot in my Finch. I need to take a pic of my camper when it is fully loaded for a trip. I think people would freak out about how much I put in there.

I haven't read through this whole thread but today I was thinking about something I'd like to see in future options for the roof of the FWC. It would be great to see the night sky while in camper. Many new types of campers have those (pricey) one piece windows that open and have retractable screen and privacy blind too. Imagine one or two across the sleeping area so we could see out at night.

ETAV8R said:
I used some too to secure my 5gal water container in the open spot in my Finch. I need to take a pic of my camper when it is fully loaded for a trip. I think people would freak out about how much I put in there.

I haven't read through this whole thread but today I was thinking about something I'd like to see in future options for the roof of the FWC. It would be great to see the night sky while in camper. Many new types of campers have those (pricey) one piece windows that open and have retractable screen and privacy blind too. Imagine one or two across the sleeping area so we could see out at night.
The owner of FWC has one in his camper. The reason it's not a production option is because the inside frame has a tendency to warp.

This is the number 1 thing my girlfriend wants. She loves sleeping in the camper listening to the rain... The next best thing would be seeing the stars!

ETAV8R said:

ETAV8R said:

There is an "off the books" option for a larger rooftop vent. It's about 700 bucks. It's about 20x20 if I recall correctly. No fan.

norcalhusky said:
This is the number 1 thing my girlfriend wants. She loves sleeping in the camper listening to the rain... The next best thing would be seeing the stars!
I would love to have a skylight as well. I've seen them in a few other campers - XP, Hallmark, etc... but never in FWC. I wonder if anyone has ever been brave enough to put one of these in?

I'd have to move around my solar panel setup but it might be worth it to me to try.

I wish this was an option FWC offered too.

I should just stop reading this post because it just makes me want more and more out of my camper! :D

PaulT said:
Is the Heki Skylight/hatch what you are looking for?

Paul
The Heki Skylights are the ones I've seen before. They are pretty amazing.
Thanks for the link.
Anyone ever actual installed one of these in a FWC?

I've often thought about this idea too, but AFIAK nobody has done it. I suspect there could be structural issues in the roof frame that might prohibit this. I've never gone so far to compare the measurements of the hatch with the roof spars. If it were possible I also suspect there would be too much work ( andcost) involved for me personally. But man, wouldn't it be cool to lie in bed and star gaze??!!

The previous FWC website had a testimonial section where a photographer had one installed. As I recall, he used it like a heated blind for taking photos in the early light without leaving the camper. I looked but couldn't find the report on the current site.

Of course, in my condition of CRS (Can't Remember Stuff) and HSSTM (high speed short term memory), I may be confusing or mixing several reports or websites. :) I read widely on light weight & pop-up campers before ordering my Hawk & finding WTW. :cautious:

Paul.

SunMan said:
I've often thought about this idea too, but AFIAK nobody has done it. I suspect there could be structural issues in the roof frame that might prohibit this. I've never gone so far to compare the measurements of the hatch with the roof spars. If it were possible I also suspect there would be too much work ( andcost) involved for me personally. But man, wouldn't it be cool to lie in bed and star gaze??!!
I saw one in the camper that Chicali from FWC was using at the last Northern CA Rally. I liked it a lot. He told me the camper was used to see what could be done, not what was reasonable to do. It has lost of cool upgrades.

Stalking Light said:
Seems like a skylight would be awfully bright during a full moon,
The ones in the XPs that I saw have a black out screen that pulls closed if you want.

billharr said:
I saw one in the camper that Chicali from FWC was using at the last Northern CA Rally. I liked it a lot. He told me the camper was used to see what could be done, not what was reasonable to do. It has lost of cool upgrades.
Interesting, wish I could have seen that. Maybe it will become an option down the road.

Since the FWC covers the 3rd truck brake light, how about a horz red LED brake light bar above the camper door. Kaper white LED lamps are currently used by FWC when you buy the ext LED package.

I am suggesting this brake light option since I was rear ended when my FWC was only 3 wks old. Luckily, only the camper door was damaged and not the door opening frame.

SB_Surf said:
Since the FWC covers the 3rd truck brake light, how about a horz red LED brake light bar above the camper door. Kaper white LED lamps are currently used by FWC when you buy the ext LED package.

I am suggesting this brake light option since I was rear ended when my FWC was only 3 wks old. Luckily, only the camper door was damaged and not the door opening frame.
I agree this would be a great option. I am concerned about the lack of a center brake light.

DrJ said:
The Heki Skylights are the ones I've seen before. They are pretty amazing.
Thanks for the link.
Anyone ever actual installed one of these in a FWC?

FWC will install these on request during a build. They are not cheap. I considered it, but decided I wanted the dual fans and room for solar.

+1 on the combined clearance/brake light. I found LED light bars for that purpose and that would fit in the space available. However, there is no wiring from the brake light circuit through the existing camper wiring. Ideally, it would be part of the normal camper wiring harness. That would require a change in the factory chosen trolling motor plug.

I'm having a similar issue with installing a rear view camera. After several months of looking, I found a factory compatible backup camera and harness that plugs into the connector vacated on removing my Tundra tailgate. i plugged it in and it works just like the factory one.

Problem is where and how to mount the new camera. Having the camera mounted under the camper overhang would work and not interfere but I would like it about the same height as the tailgate handle to the navigation lines in the display are reasonably accurate. The camera is angled down and thus needs to be mounted higher.than the bumper.

Paul

PaulT said:
+1 on the combined clearance/brake light. I found LED light bars for that purpose and that would fit in the space available. However, there is no wiring from the brake light circuit through the existing camper wiring. Ideally, it would be part of the normal camper wiring harness. That would require a change in the factory chosen trolling motor plug.

I'm having a similar issue with installing a rear view camera. After several months of looking, I found a factory compatible backup camera and harness that plugs into the connector vacated on removing my Tundra tailgate. i plugged it in and it works just like the factory one.

Problem is where and how to mount the new camera. Having the camera mounted under the camper overhang would work and not interfere but I would like it about the same height as the tailgate handle to the navigation lines in the display are reasonably accurate. The camera is angled down and thus needs to be mounted higher.than the bumper.

Paul
I had the same issue (GMC 2500). I decided to mount mine under the Camper overhang on the very back of the bed. Thankfully I can turn off the nav lines. It works very well and has a better picture than the stock one, plus it is protected from the rain.

Attachments

• Camera.jpg
    Camera.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 106
Back
Top Bottom