Order Placed for New Fleet

Thanks for all the responses everyone, very good information. Johnathan, while it looks like the Boss air bags are a great option, not having a local distributor/installer is a deal breaker for me. Thanks for the bolt explanation as well - not an area where I have any knowledge. rotti - I have taken a quick look at the Timbrens but will take a deeper dive. ski3pin - thanks for the link to Mr. Johnson's site - it looks like another great source of information that I somehow missed during the 'research' phase of this project.

Question for the group. In FWC units that do not have the front dinette, is there more weight on the drivers side due to the cabinetry, appliances etc all being on that side? If so, air bags would seem like a way to balance the load or is this a non-issue if you have sufficient suspension for the load?

Thanks again everyone -

steelhead

Whoops - I did not see your reply Bill before posting my question. Looks like leveling is something to factor in to the equation.

Whoops - I did not see your reply Bill before posting my question. Looks like leveling is something to factor in to the equation.

I personally don't think you "need" side to side leveling. Our hawk sits level, we have the HUGE 3-way fridge and the dinette. the truck sits level, we have stock springs with addition of super-springs and Bilstein HD's. I'm sure there is a slight imbalance between the left and right side of the truck camper but it's not drastic or at least not noticeable or measurable at all. It's certainly NOT the case that the truck will be lopsided if you don't go with airbags. Again, IMHO airbags are not needed for side to side leveling.

I agree with LT Traveler. There is more mass on the driver's side, but I've never noticed a leveling problem using SuperSprings. When I pack the camper, I load my gear forward and on the passenger side as much as possible, but I don't really know how much of a difference that makes. Having said all that, I'm saving my pennies for a set of custom springs. My belief is that will be the option with fewest points of failure (aside from upgrading to a 3/4 ton truck).

Interesting, FWIW my truck sits 1 inch lower on the drivers side with the propane and water, etc on that side, plus fridge and all the cabinetry - it definitely doesn't seem balanced. That's with supersprings. Doesn't bother me though... my LandCruiser always had a drivers side lean that was more like 1.5-2", it gave it character :)

Maybe the Hawk or other models are better balanced, being wider (and I think their water tanks are in the center?)

Maybe the Hawk or other models are better balanced, being wider (and I think their water tanks are in the center?)

On our '03 Hawk the water tank is on the left with the cabinetry, propane, and fridge. All of our supplies and two heavy AGM batteries are in the storage under the couch which balances the load somewhat. Still the driver's side rides a little lower. I typically run about five pounds more pressure in that airbag.

Interesting, FWIW my truck sits 1 inch lower on the drivers side with the propane and water, etc on that side, plus fridge and all the cabinetry - it definitely doesn't seem balanced. That's with supersprings. Doesn't bother me though... my LandCruiser always had a drivers side lean that was more like 1.5-2", it gave it character :)

Actually, I should have mentioned that with water being about 8.34 pounds per gallon, I usually only partially fill the water tank, carry full water containers on the passenger side, and fill the tank as needed when I am at my destination. That actually makes a bit of difference. One time I needed to carry extra water so filled the water tank fully and I could actually see the difference.

I personally don't think you "need" side to side leveling. Our hawk sits level....

My Hawk is level side to side and the rear is still an inch higher than the front on a stock 3/4 ton suspension. Roll over couch, the 110L frig, furnace and dual batteries. The water tank is pretty much centered in the front with the dual batteries on the passenger side.

Thanks everyone. Bill - I would definitely be interested in your fridge's consumption. I was glad to read that rotti can go multiple days without solar because I doubt we would stay anywhere longer than 2-3 days. The complicating factor for us is my wife's CPAP machine - it is a 'must-have' which needs to be factored in.

rotti - the truck is a 2013 Tacoma Access Cab, v6 with the off-road package. I understand and share the concern about the weight but it seems like there are allot of Tacoma's out there with Fleet's. Even though we intend to travel light, the Fleet is still a load. Question back to you since we are still researching the options: why springs and not air bags and do you have your camper on the truck all the time? Thanks

There have been lot's of threads on this-me, had bad luck with air bags for 5 years on my F150-changed to special built rear springs last year and love driving my rig/Granby now-no sway and she purrrrs down the road--and the FWC is on all the time! I have "E" mud/snows too-doesn't seem to bump to much down the road, but take a bump anytime over blowing out my sidewalls in the middle of no-where! Think about that frig again, you are going to want to head out the day you get it-what are you going to do ? use coolers? Rather spend the money up front then I can go as soon as i get it. You can always change later because every one of us has a ton of stories about that damn button on the 3-way gas frig and things breaking down in the middle of nowhere, but I still have the 3-way and when it goes out again, I'll just use the solar! Can't win them all anyway, so some day I'll probably change frig's. Enjoy your new set-up and send pictures!

Smoke

Water tank in my hawk is centered. Though most of the weight is on the drivers side, heater, hot water heater etc it doesn't lean nor is it enough to even notice on my truck.

First off, I love my Timbrens, The just work for me.

Second, drivers side lean will be a problem with a Gen2 Tacoma. The Gen2 Tacoma has a lean to the drivers side from the factory, and adding the (lopsided) weight of the camper will make it lean even more.

(Personally this was not a problem for me, as I built my shell to have as much weight forward and to the passenger side as possible. This is part of the reason the Timbrens work so well for me.)

Hope this info helps.

Also, I have never had a fridge and have been fine for multiple 3 month trips in the truck. It just depends on how you roll.

Thanks once again for all the responses. It seems like air bags versus springs versus Timbrens has the most divergent opinions of any subject on the forum. The good news is that we are not locked into any of the choices, it is just more $$$ to change. I hope to decide in the next week or so. Still thinking hard about the ice cooler versus the 2 way compressor too. Choices are good but can be a pain at decision time. At least the research is interesting. Thanks again everyone.

steelhead

Thanks once again for all the responses. It seems like air bags versus springs versus Timbrens has the most divergent opinions of any subject on the forum. The good news is that we are not locked into any of the choices, it is just more $$$ to change. I hope to decide in the next week or so. Still thinking hard about the ice cooler versus the 2 way compressor too. Choices are good but can be a pain at decision time. At least the research is interesting. Thanks again everyone.

steelhead

Any body out there happy with there ice box ? Seems like you can save a hunk of change now and update in the future as part of the perpetual MOD mode.

I had an ice box in a tent trailer. Hated it. I have a 3-way that is plugged in at home when prepping for a trip, is on DC while driving and propane while camping. I have no complaints, other than the food will freeze if you're not careful. But I also haven't camped in 100 degree weather. As Overland Hadley said, it's all how you roll.

I also have airbags. My camper comes on and off and I occasionally tow a utility trailer for a high school band. I like the versatility of the air bags. I don't do any serious off-roading and haven't had any problems on the long stretches of dirt road.

Random reply concerning the icebox option. If you choose to order the new camper with an ice box, consider asking FWC to add the vents. Future upgrades will be much easier. I have a 2003 Eagle with an ice box and I want to upgrade to a 3-way, but now I have to cut 2 large holes in the side of the camper. I seldom get anything right with the first try, so there is a strong possibility of cutting the wrong size hole for the vents. Note to self: do not drink even one beer before cutting holes in camper.

Marty cut the holes for mine. Looks easy now. Nothing like having a pro show you how you its done!

Congratulations ! Its nice to have options but it also makes life a little more of a challenge. Sounds like you will have a beauty.
How much do they charge for the silver spur exterior?
Best Wishes for many years of Happy Camping

Thanks Dan. I think the Silver Spur exterior was $500. It was a little tough to justify but we really like it and plan to keep this rig for a long time.

Back
Top Bottom