Order Placed for New Fleet

Thats cool. You don't have to justify the choice to me, a few bucks for STYLE....ITS WHAT SEPARATES US FROM LESSER FORMS OF LIFE.
I'm looking forward to seeing the photos.
Best Wishes for enjoying the rig for a long time.

Update on the configuration. After weighing the pros and cons of the ice cooler versus a fridge for over a week, we have decided to go with the 2-way Waeco 65. A bit concerned about the added weight but in the end decided our backs (we both have bad ones) will prefer a smaller ice chest (if we even need one) and not having to deal with finding ice blocks while traveling. All the info on WtW was really helpful again in thinking through this one.

We are getting really excited now that the decisions are done - waiting it for it will be agonizing. Thanks once again to everyone who posts on this forum - your experiences and opinions are really helpful for us newbies.

We were thinking we'd need to augment the fridge with and ice chest also. My wife loaded to fridge for the first trip and she says hey there's still room for a few beers! Think you'll like the 2-way.

Congrats Steelhead on your Fleet purchase, your gonna love it. Terry and the gang over at FWC are very easy to work with and will help you on your questions.

There have been many fine articles on airbags vs overload springs vs rear spring set upgrades on wander the west and as always it depends on your application. My Eagle shell is bolted down full time to my 2013 V6 Tacoma Access cab so I opted for a rear spring upgrade (1500 pounds), It rides very stiff empty and absolutely fantastic with the camnper mounted. My upgraded Eagle shell weighs 900 pounds dry with my portable Engle refrig/freezer on board. Though it is portable I leave it in the truck because I have an injured back and can not lift more than 25 pounds.

While you are trying to decide, weigh the truck empty with a full gas tank. My truck weighed 4200 pounds, plus 900 pound camper = 5100 pounds dry. When I travel solo for a week to the hot springs adding 300 pounds of water, food, beer, etc I am probably over the max 5500 GVRW rating of the truck. There is a formula that figures a portion of the rear bed weight is carried by the front wheels, however I don't know what it it? Since I'm only over about 5% of the year I'm not too worried about the wear on the mechanical parts,

I just purchased the Engle because no matter what I do ice only lasts 3-4 days and then I'm eating out of cans. I ordered my Eagle with a solar plug on the roof and on the back wall. I have tested the Engle on 12 volt only after I first brought the temp down with 110volt. It lasts 3 days too short a time to sit parked for a week, so I will be ordering a 80 watt panel soon.(I only have lights and a refrigerator to run). I decided to run it as an accessory off the back wall plug to see how often I park in the shade. I can always mount it on the roof later.

Thanks for the insight Jim. Totally agree about the people at FWC. We have visited the factory twice and bombarded Steve with endless questions over the past 6 or so months. He has been really great to work but is probably as happy as we are to finally decide on the model and the options.

As for the suspension, we have just about decided on air bags and upgraded shocks. The pop-up will only be on for one half to three quarters of the year for the next few years which would seem to favor the air bags. Plus, being new to this, we don't think we will get too adventurous for awhile. I suspect we will go with a spring pack at some point but for our situation the air bags seem to make sense now. As mentioned in an earlier post, we are a bit concerned about the weight. We thought about going with just the shell but in the end decided we would go with some of the options but travel as light as possible. We are coming from a backpacking background and intend to keep using much of the light weight gear we have acquired through the years. We will be pushing the weight limit but it seems like there are quite a few 4x4 Tacomas with Fleets out there which is reassuring. The first drive with it though will still probably be a nail-biter.

Solar is the next project for us too so will be interested in following your installation. Good luck with it and thanks again for the post.

The first drive with it though will still probably be a nail-biter.

No nail biting needed.

It is definitely different than driving an empty truck. But, I was really pleased when I first got the new camper on, as it handled much better than my old setup of a topper and sleeping platform. I think it is because all the weight is put down on the bed/frame of the truck, instead of up on the bedsides with a topper.

Steelhead, good decision on the fridge. You won't regret it.

Depending on your other loads (e.g., furnace fan), 85 to 100 watts of theoretical solar input should keep your batteries ahead of the drain. Our 200-watt system is pretty much overkill, but we needed to ensure we had power for our computers and camera-battery recharging.

<snip>
The first drive with it though will still probably be a nail-biter.
<snip>

I agree with Mr. Hadley. You will notice the difference but you will get use to it and adjust in a very short time. Nothing will be close to nail-biter status.

Mr. Hadley and ski3pin - really appreciate the comments. It is probably just my worry gene kicking in so it is good to hear that this should be a non-issue.

Johnathan - thanks for your comment as well regarding solar. Using the power usage spreadsheet that is posted in the forum, I think we will be in the 90 - 100 watt range. Between a CPAP, fridge, heater and various portable electronics, the potential usage grows pretty quickly. Given the current prices, I'm leaning towards a 120 watt panel. Now trying to decide whether to take a few small trips to measure first or just get it done. Are you still happy with the Global Solar panels on the JATAC?

Thanks again for the posts.

steelhead

Are you still happy with the Global Solar panels on the JATAC?

Steelhead, yes - the GS panels are performing perfectly. In Mexico on a very cloudy day we found we still had enough input to stay ahead of basic loads from the fridge and LED lights. And I can't stress enough the advantages of the flush mounting in terms of reducing overhead clearance problems, hiding the panels from prying eyes of potential thieves, reduction (admittedly scant given the overall frontal area!) in wind resistance, and sheer aesthetics.

Back
Top Bottom