Ordered my new Raven today

While I'm impatiently waiting for my Raven order, any ideas for a short winter time maiden voyage in the Southern Califorina area? Would like to avoid snow if possible. Thought about Joshua tree natl forest. Any other good ideas?

The reason i like the surco is that the bikes swing out of the way so you do have access to the door. I've seen that topic on the rear rack option. My only issue with that is you have to store two dirty tires either in your camper or back seat.

I attached photos to show how the Surco bike rack work. It's a very heavy duty rack and had no problem hauling my 80 LB electric bike.

Attachments

• truck2.JPG
    truck2.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 122
  • truck1.JPG
    truck1.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 116
+1 on the Surco Bike Rack...

Bike Rack Thread

You do have to be patient with the three bolts but it's worth it since it clamps the bikes real nice. I also bought a locking hitch pin so i don't have to worry about someone stealing the rack when I'm off riding

You do have to be patient with the three bolts but it's worth it since it clamps the bikes real nice. I also bought a locking hitch pin so i don't have to worry about someone stealing the rack when I'm off riding

I just got word that my Raven will be here this Thursday :p

I'm with you on the PorttiPotti and my wife agrees, so much so... that she wanted the deluxe version with the electric pump for the water flush (so, she bought it). If I were to use the forest, I'd still want to pack it out.

I've had one for over a year, many dumps and refills and am still operating on the original AA batteries (I think it takes 6 of them). Still a very strong flush of water.

It's the Thetford 465.

I tried buying it from Amazon, however, they TWICE sent me the "Marine" unit (Thetford 465 MSD) that doesn't have the same dump feature as the one for "RV's". The 465 MSD is designed for dockside pumpout hookup. In this specific area Amazon has the wrong warehouse code for the RV Thetford 465. If anyone goes this way, don't try buying it from Amazon, you don't know how many times I went around via emails with Amazon. Excellent on refunds and trying again, but when the warehouse code is wrong, the wearhouse code is wrong.

I got mine from Cabellas for $135 and free shipping, however, I don't see it on their web site anymore.

AdventureRV.net has it for $119.99, plus the shipping cost.

If the electric pump ever goes out, my wife will probably just buy another complete Thetford 465 as the electric pump is not really available from Thetford as a replacement part. I tried to purchase an extra for a backup from Thetford Replacement Parts division, just in case it goes out while boondocking, however, no such part according to the nice guy on the phone and we could both see it on their web site... go figure. Interestingly enough I can purchase the electric pump from an RV place in the UK and I do have friends that will send it me in the U.S. (the UK RV place doesn't ship to the U.S.), but add up the hassle for my friends, the extra shippng costs and the delay in time, probably not worth it.

The wife "unit" has been advised that we'll be pouring water from a cup to flush, if the electric pump goes out while boondocking and she is OK with that.

So far she is very happy not having to manually pump to flush, and when she is happy, I'm happy.

FYI potential new Raven orders. The 465 doen't fit the Raven. I was told that it would so I ordered it but it doesn't go in :mad:

Joshua Tree or Mojove NPr would be a dream at this time of year.

Kelso depot is neat, located in the Mojave NP. There are the Kelso sand dunes to see, Mitchell Caverns and good remote camping.

http://www.nps.gov/moja/planyourvisit/visitorcenters.htm

DR

FYI potential new Raven orders. The 465 doen't fit the Raven. I was told that it would so I ordered it but it doesn't go in
angry.gif

Sorry it didn't fit.
Glad I wasn't the person that told you "it would fit".

Sorry it didn't fit.
Glad I wasn't the person that told you "it would fit".

I got it to fit this weekend by replacing the 1 1/2" bolts with shorter bolts:
IMG_0178.jpg

A word of caution. I did exactly the same thing. I used shorter bolts to get my 465 to fit. I really pound washboard roads and take many bad jeep trails. After a while the top of the porta potti gets "road rash" from the shortened bolts. No big deal for me....but if the wife unit wants it pristine...I would figure out some kind of pad/cushion for the top of the porta potti.

Also....in time....the raised ridge around the middle of the porta potti will cut a slot in the wooden box next to it so you might want to pad that too. Maybe just the self adhesive stick on velcro (fuzzy side) would work. Don't put any adhesive on the campers cabinetry if you can help it. When you pull it off it will take the cheapo vinyl wood grain off with it (don't ask me how I know this). Apply the self adhesive padding to the porta potti itself.

A word of caution. I did exactly the same thing. I used shorter bolts to get my 465 to fit. I really pound washboard roads and take many bad jeep trails. After a while the top of the porta potti gets "road rash" from the shortened bolts. No big deal for me....but if the wife unit wants it pristine...I would figure out some kind of pad/cushion for the top of the porta potti.

Also....in time....the raised ridge around the middle of the porta potti will cut a slot in the wooden box next to it so you might want to pad that too. Maybe just the self adhesive stick on velcro (fuzzy side) would work. Don't put any adhesive on the campers cabinetry if you can help it. When you pull it off it will take the cheapo vinyl wood grain off with it (don't ask me how I know this). Apply the self adhesive padding to the porta potti itself.

Already scratched the lid bfore I added the washers so no harm there. I'll keep an eye out for the side.

Update on the 465 porta potty. Two years later and I'm still on the first set of batteries:>) I'm so glad I got the power flush option

BobM said:
Update on the 465 porta potty. Two years later and I'm still on the first set of batteries:>) I'm so glad I got the power flush option
I am still carrying an extra set for mine, they are 4 years old.

Been fun watching your build Bill! Hope your hand is feeling O.K.

Back
Top Bottom