Ordering a Hawk 1-28-17 Do's Don'ts?

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Space is tight in our campers, and for that reason I have gone without water heaters in both of the campers we have purchased. We just heat water on the stove for dishes and bathing.
Sage,

Interesting...how does not having the FWC water heater give the camper more space? Does that give you an additional outside storage box?

Thanks,

Phil

Wallowa said:
Sage,

Interesting...how does not having the FWC water heater give the camper more space? Does that give you an additional outside storage box?

Thanks,

Phil
Additional cabinet space inside. As I recall, the 2013 Grandby had the outside box, but you lost cabinet space if you ordered a water heater.

Just as an aside, we rarely use the WH in the travel trailer. It's just easier to heat water on the stove for bathing and dishes. The shower in the TT is lovingly referred to as the utility closet.

I MO,

Thermo package, yes, as for noted reasons stated, also keeps interior a few shade darker during the day.

Vents, my Hawk order included fantastic fan and vent, put fan over galley area, I ended up installing extra fan over gallery area to make lowering top easier.

Hot Water Tank, it gives you an extra 5 gals of water so I opted out of that, have just used a kettle to heat water, more storage space inside, does not change the outside.

Ref, ordered the ac/dc (waco) unit, one size back then, with dual batteries, 3way works best when level, a lot of times its not always level.

Any other items are up users choice, with a 3/4 ton truck you won't have any problems on loading it up or packing it with goodies.

Have a good time when you get the Hawk and Happy Trails To You

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Wander The West mobile app

We didn't get ours new and wish we had the higher roof. I think you can get it made 6" higher. We had the vinyl, etc. redone a few years ago and I should have asked then :-(

kmcintyre said:
We didn't get ours new and wish we had the higher roof. I think you can get it made 6" higher. We had the vinyl, etc. redone a few years ago and I should have asked then :-(
This is not an option that FWC normally offers. They did it for someone 6'8" tall and have refused to do it for others since then. Perhaps if they get enough requests they will make it an option, but my guess is they sigh every time someone asks about it.

Bill D said:
This is not an option that FWC normally offers. They did it for someone 6'8" tall and have refused to do it for others since then. Perhaps if they get enough requests they will make it an option, but my guess is they sigh every time someone asks about it.
Talk to Marty and Jeff at ATC. They gave me a 2 inch taller ceiling in the new Bobcat.

I am still a hawk wanabe but in my research I have heard that the flush mount sink and cooktop are somewhat limiting re the size of pan you can cook with and the clearance under the water faucet in the sink. On the other side of the equation, a nice flat surface when they are not in use may be more important. Has one else found this to be an issue?

Ukeejohn said:
I am still a hawk wanabe but in my research I have heard that the flush mount sink and cooktop are somewhat limiting re the size of pan you can cook with and the clearance under the water faucet in the sink. On the other side of the equation, a nice flat surface when they are not in use may be more important. Has one else found this to be an issue?
I'm sure someone will answer your question about the limited depth.
I remember a thread where almost all owner of the flush mounted options were happy that they made the choice of flush mounted.

On the other side of the coin, I am very content with the standard offerings. I have no issue with putting things on top of the standard stove. The space behind the stove is convenient for putting a cup or something you do not want to get knocked over.
I actually use the space behind the sink and the stove to store the speaker stand lift for the roof. It travels there extremely well and is always out of my way (I know there would be clever ways to mount it, but I haven't found the need).

I upgraded to the 7350 fan and really like that. Lots of setting and you can even set it to hold a certain temperature. That's usually not listed as an option.

I really like my front dinette. It's the best set up for me. I've owned all 3 table set ups and that one is my favorite.

I love the Yakima tracks mostly to hold my maxtrax and solar panel.

My favorite option that no one talks about is the outdoor led lighting. That is so helpful with what I do. I use the LED floodlights too quite frequently.

I'm not sure who can climb up the rear wall steps, maybe Spider-Man.
I have them but I really use them for anything except hanging up clothes and other options. It's fantastic for that.

Enjoy your camper. It's one of the best things I've ever purchased.

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

wi_hawk said:
I MO,

Thermo package, yes, as for noted reasons stated, also keeps interior a few shade darker during the day.

Vents, my Hawk order included fantastic fan and vent, put fan over galley area, I ended up installing extra fan over gallery area to make lowering top easier.

Hot Water Tank, it gives you an extra 5 gals of water so I opted out of that, have just used a kettle to heat water, more storage space inside, does not change the outside.

Ref, ordered the ac/dc (waco) unit, one size back then, with dual batteries, 3way works best when level, a lot of times its not always level.

Any other items are up users choice, with a 3/4 ton truck you won't have any problems on loading it up or packing it with goodies.

Have a good time when you get the Hawk and Happy Trails To You

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Wander The West mobile app

Our '16 Hawk hot water heater holds 6 gals of water which supplements the 20 water tank for a total of 26 gallons of water on board...

Still can't visualize how eliminating the external water heater can result in more interior storage space. Our HW heater is located above and outboard of the water pump with access from a vented exterior door. Perhaps a different floor plan or cabinet design?

The convenience of simply turning on the hot water faucet in the sink or exterior shower rather than firing up the stove is in our opinion well worth installing a hot water heater...

another point, every time you heat or boil water on the stove you put steam/moisture inside the small cabin space and that requires venting; for the stove fumes and removal of moisture from the camper.

Phil

DrJ said:
I upgraded to the 7350 fan and really like that. Lots of setting and you can even set it to hold a certain temperature. That's usually not listed as an option.
I really like my front dinette. It's the best set up for me. I've owned all 3 table set ups and that one is my favorite.
My favorite option that no one talks about is the outdoor led lighting. That is so helpful with what I do. I use the LED floodlights too quite frequently.
I have them but I really use them for anything except hanging up clothes and other options. It's fantastic for that.
I learned a lot from your post. I didn't know there was a fan that would maintain a temperature setting. What a fantastic feature (no pun intended).
Having had 3 seating configurations is something very few of us would have experience with. If you'd be so inclined can you share what you liked or did not like about each configuration. I know it's a bit to ask, but I'm sure it will be invaluable info given you might be the only person who has had all three.

I forgot about the LED exterior light option (I'm not referring to the flood lights). This is something I wish I had as well. Perhaps I'll install something this year.

I'm glad you menrtioned Spider-Man with the rear wall steps. I don't feel so bad now. I personally don't feel safe using them and
I'm 46 years old. I too just use them for hanging a trash bag from. Kind of an expensive hanger option, which is what most of us seem to use them for.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Additional cabinet space inside. As I recall, the 2013 Grandby had the outside box, but you lost cabinet space if you ordered a water heater.

Just as an aside, we rarely use the WH in the travel trailer. It's just easier to heat water on the stove for bathing and dishes. The shower in the TT is lovingly referred to as the utility closet.
With the water heater, you lose a compartment inside the camper. You still have the outside comparment

DrJ said:

The only regret is not getting the front dinette. Side dinette is nice for couples but for a family of 3, the lower bed in the front dinette provides more room. Only con is lack of space for the dog to sleep in aisle and the cost ($1200)

Thank you all! Not just "I like this" or "this is ok, but not worth the $$". Mostly everyone gave good reason for their likes and dislikes. 8 short days till order date.

I have a note to ask about undocumented options.

Now to decide to BatWing or Side awning. Leaning side awning due to having a hard sided enclosure.
Also does anyone know where they list fabric and counter top colors/patterns?

n2Jeepin said:
Thank you all! Not just "I like this" or "this is ok, but not worth the $$". Mostly everyone gave good reason for their likes and dislikes. 8 short days till order date.

Now to decide to BatWing or Side awning. Leaning side awning due to having a hard sided enclosure.

Lots of posts about new BatWing....I prefer the side awning due to the very secure system of attachment and low profile when closed...also I personally feel that in a wind the Wing would catch too much air and I have never felt the single attachment point on the FWC corner is sufficient for that size sail...but of course I could be wrong! :D

super doody said:
With the water heater, you lose a compartment inside the camper. You still have the outside comparment
Again can someone post photos of this? The water heater on the Hawk is in a box on the outside wall of the camper on the drivers side and behind and above the water pump...if you do not have the heater option is there an outside storage box or an inside storage area? With the water heater you have an 'outside compartment' but it houses the heater.

Thanks,

Phil

n2Jeepin said:

One you might ask the factory about is the King Bed option. It amounts to an extra-long pull-out with another set of cushions to fill that space. The great thing is, it allows two adults to sleep north-south instead of the usual east-west; this means one person doesn't need to crawl over the other to get in/out of bed.

Unless something's changed, you don't have a choice of counter top colors.

I didn't see fabrics listed on the factory website, but here they are on a dealer's website.

W6USA said:
One you might ask the factory about is the King Bed option.
Given N2 is opting for a front dinette how does getting in an out of bed with a King option work?

I'm assuming the King bed would extend beyond the seats of the front dinette, making it impossible to use them as a step up to the bed, and there would be high counters on both side of the isle.

I don't know if it's even an option in the front dinette, he'll have to ask... I guess you'd have to use a ladder in the aisle if the bed does in fact extend past the dinette seats, which is my preferred method anyway (I have the side dinette.)

The front dinette was my first camper as a hawk model.
It was amazing for stealth camping. And I could pull over for lunch and eat without putting up the top.
If I camped alone, this would have been great.
The downsides are that there is no room when the couch is made into a bed. I'd sleep in the camper with 2-4 kids and one of them would have to go to the bathroom after everyone was in bed.
You have to climb over the kid on the couch bed. That was just impossible without waking everyone up. There is very little room and you can only access half of the door getting out. It was entertaining but not practical.

So then I ordered a front dinette and got a long bed truck for a grandby.

Meanwhile, I bought a side dinette grandby for a family member. I camped in it for a few weeks.
I thought I would hate it, but it by far feels the most open. Lots of room to move stuff around.
It is ideal for a couple or camping with 1-2 kids at most.
The bottom bed is crazy small and would not ever work for me. But it's good for stealth camping. No need to pop up the top when you stop for lunch.

Then the front dinette came. It was perfect. All 4 kids eat the table. The bottom bed is perfect for kids or stealth sleeping.
When I hunt and it's really cold, I sleep on the bottom bed and close the top. Works great.
I have the king bed slide, so the entire 6 member family can sleep in there.
Although we don't do that a lot.
Usually 2-4 kids at a time on those trips. For me it's really the best design. I'd never go back.

The only downside - you can't eat lunch without popping up the top. The dinette is elevated and makes it hard unless you are really short.

Hope that helps you.

Turned out my family member didn't want the side dinette grandby. So I traded in two campers when I picked up my front dinette. For a brief moment, I had all 3 lined up together. That was kind of neat.

Back
Top Bottom