Oregon Coast during the Winter

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1
:LOL:

Hey guys, just got my fed tax return and thinking of heading out of this cold place to the Central/Southern Oregon coast to do some camping. I've seen enough threads on this site to know it's a good area. I have never visited this part of Oregon before (believe it or not-usually go to the Fort Bragg area in Ca when I crave the taste of salt in my mouth) and with the weather looking better think it's about time. Going to head over to I-5 then north, then over to 101 then north again. I've been looking at the Gold Beach area & north to both Humbug and Cape Blanco SP's for a long time. I have plenty of maps and viewed most of the WTW threads, but was wondering about nice dog friendly places to camp-both dry and with the bennies-I'll spend the $16.00-$20.00 fee and use the SP electric hookups if they look nice. Any ideas for places to go at this time of the year-or as they say on the Oregon parks site-"it's discovery season" and I'm ready and some rain is fine, just don't want allot of people about and need to be able to walk the dog on the coast! Thanks in advance!

Smoke:LOL:

Wise choice. I recommend hugging the coast up to Charleston (Coos Bay) and camping at either Sunset Bay State Park or Bastendorff :unsure: Beach County Park (Coos County). It is a beautiful and diverse area with a protected cove suitable for kayaking in the right conditions and trails up and around rocky headlands. There are many spellbinding beaches between there and No. Cal.. You probably know that the beaches in Oregon are publicly owned and you might find some excellent camping there, especially with tourist long gone. Watch those tides!
My favorite tide charts:
http://tbone.biol.sc.edu/tide/sites_uswest.html

Not very beautiful pics of some very beautiful places.
IMG_0310_zpsdc9884d6.jpg

IMG_0001_zpseb0a0ca5.jpg

I don't know if it's actually legal but I've beach camped at Gold Beach right behind the High School. A call to the Gold Beach Chamber of Commerce at(541) 247-0923 I'd guess will get you a definitive answer. If you are ok heading north of Cape Blanco there is a dune trail at New River that will get you on probably a lesser visited piece of the coast. If you go up the Sixes River inland there are a couple of BLM campgrounds. Typically the Fed campgrounds are $8.00/night though those in my neck of the woods that are snow free are usually free of charge in the winter. Maybe you'll get lucky. Cape Blanco and the Sixes River area down low is Coos Bay District 541-756-0100. One thing to remember is if the steelhead run is on, the camps with or near river access may fill up.

If you're unaware, the advantage of coming to Oregon is the beach is 99% public domain. Thus when you find an access point to the sand and water it's all available from there. Typically the south coast is warmish year around though can be windy and rainy year around. Kinda interesting when you consider you can go a few miles inland and up in elevation and be snowed out.

However you do it, I wish you well in you travels...

If you do make it up to Coos Bay, you might enjoy a visit to the South Shore National Estuarine Reserve, which is near there. We found it by accident exploring some back roads on our recent trip. There is a nice visitor's center and some hiking trails that take you down to the estuary. Good bird watching and possible other critters including elk. Nice change of pace from the coast, which is beautiful for sure.

South Slough

As for weather at the coast, be prepared for rain and high humidity- we had some issues with condensation in the camper. When we were there the dew point was the same as the temp (100% humidity) and we couldn't keep up with the condensation, even with the heater going and the vents open. Camper got pretty wet inside. Great place to visit though.

Yes Smoke the Oregon coast is nice and the St parks are great.
Humbug is a good stop as are the others mentioned.Closer to Florance there is the National Sand Dunes area to camp at.Just remember that it can be rainy/foggy along the coast,just like the Ft Bragg area.
Have fun.
If you like Austrian food there is a place right on main(101)street in Coos Bay.Good food and even a slice of Nazi Germany to boot.The place is run/owned by an old guy from the old country with lots of posters and photos on the walls.
Enjoy your trip.
Frank

Smoke - one more comment since no one else has mentioned it. Oregon's beaches are very dog friendly. You can look forward to some great walks on the beach with your pooch. As mentioned above though, pay attention to the tides. Good luck with your trip and the weather.

Oregon's beaches are very dog friendly.

I agree. Here's Rocky enjoying himself at Nye Beach (Newport):

IMG_0515.jpg

Back
Top Bottom