Oregon & Nevada

brett13

Lovecock
We are planning to check out Eastern Oregon and Northern Nevada (including Blackrock desert) for a week to 10 days in mid-late October this year. I've browsed through some trip reports here, but I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations for books, trail guides, maps, etc. Thanks!

Brett13-
Are you looking for backroad-exploring guides? Or hiking guides?
This is my most-frequently-visited area in the past 20 years...kinda think of it as "my territory" :p .
And yet...I have a hard time coming up with books/guides to suggest. :unsure: When I was first discovering the Great Basin in general and the SE-OR/NW-NV area in particular I used "Hiking the Great Basin" (Sierra Club) a lot and then I used a lot of maps to figure out how to get there and what else in in the area.

IF you wanted suggestions for destinations (in no particular order):
  • Hart Mt. Antelope Refuge (much more than antelope)
  • Steens Mt. west side -- up on top (the "crown jewel" of SE-OR)
  • Steens Mt., east side (such as Pike Creek, next to the Alvord Desert)
  • Alvord Desert/Basin (driving/camping across the playa)
  • Pueblo Mts (just south of the Steens)
  • Trout Creek Mts. (though it's a popular hunting destination and so will be relatively "crowded" at this time)
  • Owyhee Canyons in far-SE-OR/far-SW-ID/N-NV (more remote than anything else in SE-OR)
  • Pine Forest Range (in NW-NV, just south of the Pueblos)
  • Jackson Mts on the east side of the NE arm of the Black Rock Desert (the slightly-vegetated, softer, not-generally-drivable part of the Black Rock)
  • Black Rock Hot Springs (at Black Rock Point on the Black Rock desert)
  • Double Hot Springs (east side of east arm of Black Rock Desert)
  • Anywhere in/across the main-dry-flat-sterile section of the Black Rock Desert playa, typically accessed via Gerlach
October would be a great time to go as it's cooling off and yet the high places are still (usually) snow free, including the short season of Steens Mt high country.

If you go the East Steens way mentioned by Mr.BC above and and not traveling with young, hard to corral children, I'd stop by Mickey Basin/ Mickey Hot Springs. It's a geothermal area I think is sorta neat. One word of caution, the pools are very hot! Thus this is not a soaking pool destination. The following links describe Mickey Hot Springs:

If you want the soaking experience try Alvord or Willow Cr:

For maps the old fashioned 24K or 100K Topo maps are about as good as anything. The BLM Rec maps are typically 100K, show ownership and aren't too bad for general navigation. The following offices cover the areas mentioned above. Burns BLM (541-573-4400) Winnemucca BLM (775-623-1500) Surprise, aka Cedarville BLM (530-279-6101). Part of the Pine Forest Range and NW Nevada in general is Sheldon Wildlife Refuge (775-941-0199).

Good luck and enjoy....

Thanks guys. I should have been more specific. First, no kids on this trip but we'll probably bring our dog. Second, I'm mostly interested in backroad guides/maps. My rig is fairly capable and I'm comfortable with medium level 4wheeling and thus exploring the lonely road is ideal. We just have no idea what to expect, which is, half the fun of course. Reminds me of my first few trips to SE UT, which is now "my territory" :) and for which I need few maps or guides (I still use them to find new things or remind me of nooks I haven't yet visited- there are still plenty!) but I could run a comprehensive UT trip blindfolded.

I was surprised that there are no National Geo/Trails Illustrated maps for the area! That's when I knew this might be an area less visited! Will check out all of the above suggestions. Others are still welcome. Gracias.

Brett, a trip into High Rock Lake and High Rock Canyon would also be worth your time.

High Rock Canyon Camp
gallery_172_15_141371.jpg

Pioneers' Records
gallery_172_15_50551.jpg

For maps the old fashioned 24K or 100K Topo maps are about as good as anything. The BLM Rec maps are typically 100K, show ownership and aren't too bad for general navigation.

Yep! Back when I was first exploring SE-OR and NW-NV I bought all of the USGS and/or BLM 100k series of topo maps covering that area. (I'm a mapophile) They seem like the perfect scale for road-exploring 'cause you don't need as many (as the 24k) to cover a large area and you don't need the detail required for navigation by foot. BLM maps showing ownership are great so you don't end up dead-ended at a "No Trespassing" sign/gate after a long hard road. This has happened to me a couple of times when using the USGS version 'cause it didn't show that the route included large private tracts.

I think the lack of road-exploring guide-books or tour-guide-maps to the area is because little of it is recognized to be as spectacular as, say, SE Utah or the Sierras, for example. There are no National Parks or Monuments in SE OR or NW-NV, though Steens Mt has been mentioned as deserving of National Park-hood. Steens really is spectacular when you get high upon its west slope -- 4 major glacier-carved U-shaped valleys as well as an almost mile-high drop down the east face (I've posted a lot of photos in the Steens Mt, Oregon Gallery)....though it doesn't look it from the western base. It's similar to how the Sierras don't look like much from the western foothills, but are spectacular on top or viewing from the eastern base -- so is Steens.

The suggestions for destinations that have been given are way too many to explore in a couple of weeks, of course...but you've got plenty to choose from.
What I like MOST about the area (and in general) are the big, naked, land-forms and lots of vertical contrast. Such as Hart Mt plunging down to the Warner Lakes Valley to west and Steens Mt plunging down to the Alvord Basin to the east. And then there's the extreme flat bareness of the Alvord Desert and the much bigger (but more-visited) Black Rock desert playas. In addition to their stark, other-worldly beauty, all kinds of wild stuff is possible on those enormous flat obstruction-free parking lots! I've ridden my bicycle in the pitch dark and even with my eyes closed for a couple of minutes -- absolutely unconstrained bicycle riding is very cool and rare to find. (foolhardy stunts with the truck involving blind night-driving and driverless driving are also possible, but won't be mentioned
rolleyes.gif
)

I know Oregon natives who've only heard of Steens Mt and have never been there and who've never even heard of Hart Mountain or the Black Rock Desert -- Enjoy your exploration!

I might see you down there. I will be there about that time, maybe a bit sooner with wife and 7 y.o. daughter for a grand tour of SE Oregon. We're avoiding Nevada, or rather saving it for a later trip. I think two weeks is what we're planning round-trip from Portland.

I've ridden my bicycle in the pitch dark and even with my eyes closed for a couple of minutes -- absolutely unconstrained bicycle riding is very cool and rare to find. (foolhardy stunts with the truck involving blind night-driving and driverless driving are also possible, but won't be mentioned
rolleyes.gif
)

Getting off topic here . . . I've always thought eyes-closed skiing was cool. Mostly have done it XC, which is an interesting mix of balance and faith that there's something solid out there in front of you. :unsure:

Thanks everyone.

I might see you down there. I will be there about that time, maybe a bit sooner with wife and 7 y.o. daughter for a grand tour of SE Oregon. We're avoiding Nevada, or rather saving it for a later trip. I think two weeks is what we're planning round-trip from Portland.

Nat- let's revisit this as it gets closer. Would be fun to hook up somewhere if schedules permit. Anyone else up for a small unofficial rally?

Thanks everyone.

Nat- let's revisit this as it gets closer. Would be fun to hook up somewhere if schedules permit. Anyone else up for a small unofficial rally?

Was just over at Mud Springs Campground in the Fremont NF, ran into someone who just came in from Frenchglen and the Steens-said there was a problem with some of the roads up there being closed and there was only one campground on the lope that was open and it was pretty full-so I would call Burns BLM if you are heading there. Any map about that country will help-try some of the Trails West stuff, they are fun to follow and are easy to read. What they all said about the Black Rock and High Rock Canyon (esp. seeing the Bighorn Sheep) is right on-worked out of that country since 1980-well worth the trip, but before you go make sure to either stop by or give a ring to BLM to make sure what the conditions are-we have red flag warnings up all over this part of the world right now and all you need to do is run into a fire (or start one yourself) up there. I was headed to the Steens but I'm back home because i had some mechanical problems with my frig i couldn't fix, so I'll be home getting it fixed until next week, then back up to eastern Or. If you are near Gerlach, Nev. stop and have a fine meal at Genos. Heard some bad news yesterday, seems like the GOP house is trying to pass a new bill that lets sheep graze in areas where the Bighorn sheep are -for those that don't know sheep can carry stuff that will kill Bighorns and there has been a law on the books for years that regulates any interaction between the two species (what's wrong with these people?). You know we spent over 25 years getting cattle and horses out of High Rock and setting some areas aside for the Bighorn and these idiots are going to destroy it all so someone can make a buck! Sorry, enjoy your trip and have many more!

Yep-cept for the idiots in washington Brett17, the world is a wonderful place to explore-can't wait to get back! Maybe time for liver and onions at Geno's!

Odd question- Isn't Oregon one of those states that deems people too stupid to pump their own gas? NJ is the other one. Or do they have both self and full service?

Odd question- Isn't Oregon one of those states that deems people too stupid to pump their own gas? NJ is the other one. Or do they have both self and full service?

No we can't pump gas at all in Oregon -- no self-service. If we were allowed to pump our own gas we'd probably douse ourselves and burst into flames -- ignited by cell-phone use :rolleyes:.
(the only exceptions are at commercial "cardlock" stations -- commercial accounts only.)
And yet, when travelling in CA or NV or WA or AZ or UT I do fine...weird! :D

But remember that Oregon has no sales tax...and we do have physician-assisted suicide, so it's not all bad up here.

In Oregon it is legal to pump your own diesel. I guess they realized that we diesel owners are obviously smarter than those driving around with gas.

In Oregon it is legal to pump your own diesel. I guess they realized that we diesel owners are obviously smarter than those driving around with gas.

The reason that some -- but not all -- Oregon stations permit self-service diesel is because it's not a Class 1 flammable like gasoline, which is what the Oregon statute regulates. Individual stations tend set their own policy with respect to self-service diesel...even if technically they should allow it, some do not.
Even those that do permit self-serve diesel aren't gonna be 24-hr unattended self-serve (except those commercial card-lock stations), so you won't have the opportunity of serving yourself at 3am at an unattended station.

And diesel drivers are such because they luv an excuse to be loud and smelly -- it's a guy thing...for some guys. ;)

Back
Top Bottom