Oregon & Nevada

And diesel drivers are such because they luv an excuse to be loud and smelly -- it's a guy thing...for some guys. ;)

Smelly? Me? Naw, no way.......

Just replace NJ with OR in the following Daily Show segment. Enjoy:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-june-5-2006/pump-my-ride?xrs=share_copy

Also, DD, how do you embed a video?

Nat- let's revisit this as it gets closer. Would be fun to hook up somewhere if schedules permit. Anyone else up for a small unofficial rally?

I will post a thread in the trip planning section as the time approaches.

Anyone else up for a small unofficial rally?
I am! :)

In October there's a good chance I'll also be in California on the east side of the Sierras...but my schedule is flexible and my Sierra-east trip could be before or after a NW-NV/SE-OR trip.

Heading into the Steens on Aug 5th on my way to Wyoming. Just checked with burns BLM and have been told the south Steens road is closed due to snow and road construction but apparently you can travel quite far on the north Steens road. Any recommendations as to camp sites, dispersed or otherwise, there. Looking forward to getting away.

Heading into the Steens on Aug 5th on my way to Wyoming. Just checked with burns BLM and have been told the south Steens road is closed due to snow and road construction but apparently you can travel quite far on the north Steens road. Any recommendations as to camp sites, dispersed or otherwise, there. Looking forward to getting away.

Page Springs, at the very bottom of the the North Road, comes to mind. There are two more developed CGs higher up but it sounds like snow may still be an issue. Between Page Springs and Frenchglen there is a small resort with hook-ups and showers. Check out DD's other site, Camping-USA , for more info.

There is another official CG low on the South Road and there is BLM land in the area that might work, too.

If it's open, I'd recommend Jackman Park -- the highest Steens campground...because it's highest and therefore closest to the most-scenic zone.

For some reason I've always thought that in the Steens Mt recreation area, (which is a little different than "regular" BLM land) camping is limited to designated campgrounds only. But on the BLM site, Burns District, Steens Mt, they mention camping but say nothing about "designated campgrounds only" in that area. Years ago I parked/camped at the summit parking area overnight and "got away with it"...but maybe it was legal?
blink.gif
(From the parking area I dragged my sleeping bag/bivi-sak up to the summit and slept among the radio towers. Fantastic huge morning view!)

This evening I sent the Burns District BLM an e-mail asking about Steens Mt. camping regs, so I expect they'll let me know.

This evening I sent the Burns District BLM an e-mail asking about Steens Mt. camping regs, so I expect they'll let me know.

Mark, will you also do my job for me and ask them if the entire loop road will be open this year at all due to construction?

For some reason I've always thought that in the Steens Mt recreation area, (which is a little different than "regular" BLM land) camping is limited to designated campgrounds only. But on the BLM site, Burns District, Steens Mt, they mention camping but say nothing about "designated campgrounds only" in that area. Years ago I parked/camped at the summit parking area overnight and "got away with it"...but maybe it was legal?
blink.gif
(From the parking area I dragged my sleeping bag/bivi-sak up to the summit and slept among the radio towers. Fantastic huge morning view!)

I got an e-mail response from BLM this morning:

Yes, dispersed/primitive camping is allowed anywhere there is no specific areas or restricted areas.
But when you ask about car camping........we don't allow car camping at any of the gorge's parking areas (summit parking area). But one can park there overnight(s) and hike then camp at the radio towers is OK. The parking areas are small so we don't promote car camping within the parking areas. You can (dispersed) car camp in a lot of other spots on the Steens Mountain, but there isn't any spot on the summit I would recommend.
So...for many years I've been wrong about where I could camp up there! Years of missed opportunities! Oh well...live and learn.
rolleyes.gif

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mark, will you also do my job for me and ask them if the entire loop road will be open this year at all due to construction?

So I replied to Eric Haakenson with the question about "when/if Steens Loop Road will be completely open", and got a quick response:

Mark
The North Steens Loop Road is now open to the summit. The South Steens Loop Road is closed still for road maintenance....we hoped to have the south loop open by the end of the middle to end of the month.

I got an e-mail response from BLM this morning:

So...for many years I've been wrong about where I could camp up there! Years of missed opportunities! Oh well...live and learn.
rolleyes.gif

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I replied to Eric Haakenson with the question about "when/if Steens Loop Road will be completely open", and got a quick response:

You should have a fun trip up there or where ever you find yourself!! Now that my frig is fixed, planning to resume my trip to Wash. state by way of the Steens, Alvord Desert and Vale especially if the North loop is open! I'll leave later this week and hit there by mid week-maybe even hit it on the way back at the end of the month!-or maybe just stay around the Steens and not go north. Ain't retirement grand! Actually saw another fwc camper on my last trip in the area-never see many of them out and about-except when they drive through Susanville. Just got a new Spot2-hope I don't need it, but it will be nice to have if something happens out there in the desert!

Two other questions come to mind as I plan this:
Do most of these small towns have gas or is fuel few and far between?
What is cell phone coverage like?

Two other questions come to mind as I plan this:
Do most of these small towns have gas or is fuel few and far between?
What is cell phone coverage like?

The northwest corner of Nevada is a big cellular void -- on all carriers. I have no coverage north of Pyramid Lake on T-Mobile and not again until I get to Denio (approximately). Most of SE Oregon is pretty-well covered, though how continuously depends on what carrier you're running. I'd suggest you check "coverage maps" and then take those with a grain of salt.

IMHO: Always a good idea to fuel-up whenever the opportunity presents itself, even when "...but I'm only down 5 gallons...". At least, that's what I do when in the boondocks...but I only get 12+ miles/gal and have a 26-gal tank.
I'd suggest you assume that all those micro-towns are closed after 5.

IMHO: Always a good idea to fuel-up whenever the opportunity presents itself, even when "...but I'm only down 5 gallons...". At least, that's what I do when in the boondocks...but I only get 12+ miles/gal and have a 26-gal tank.
I'd suggest you assume that all those micro-towns are closed after 5.

I almost always top too. Just wondering if I need a jerry can for this trip. I know all the places for gas and know the distances in UT well, so I'm not guessing and don't need the can. This trip will be virgin territory for us. Rather not bring the extra weight (jerry can) if I don't have to. Thanks.

Brett- In my experience here, if you fill up when you can you won't have a problem. That's assuming that you're not trying to avoid all pavement and so miss opportunities to fill up.
For me, the only time I've thought extra gas worthwhile (in this area) was so I could -- at the last minute -- veer off on some unplanned route that missed one of my planned fill-up spots.
If you're wondering whether a particular spot on the map -- such as Gerlach, Adel, Denio Jct, Fields, etc. -- has fuel (and all those do -- during the daytime) just ask. :)
Happy trails!

I had great ATT cell phone coverage, even near Virgin Springs in Sheldon NWR and surprisingly most of Hart Mountain. Just up the hill a small walk from the Hot Springs camp at Hart Mountain had excellent ATT reception.

I had great ATT cell phone coverage, even near Virgin Springs in Sheldon NWR and surprisingly most of Hart Mountain. Just up the hill a small walk from the Hot Springs camp at Hart Mountain had excellent ATT reception.

That's interesting! I was going to switch from T-Mobile to Verizon to get better coverage in the remote areas that I frequently visit, but maybe I should switch to ATT...
...or just wait until next year when they gobble up T-Mobile as planned.

generubin: Have you had coverage on ATT in Gerlach? And/or out on the Black Rock playa?
On my recent swing through Gerlach (where my phone had no coverage) I stopped at Bruno's for lunch, and a guy in there was talking on his cell phone. I was going to ask him "what carrier?", but was too shy...
rolleyes.gif

I don't recall if I had reception in Gerlach itself, but just south of Gerlach I was able to use the phone, check emails etc. It was near whatever the industrial/mine area was maybe 3 or 4 miles south. I was traveling north so once I checked my emails, I didn't bother to check in Gerlach only minutes later.

I haven't been out on the Black Rock Playa.

Back
Top Bottom