Our All Terrain Camper – A Review After Eleven Years of Use

ski3pin

Belay On
Site Team
RV LIFE Pro
We picked up our camper from ATC’s Sacramento shop in November 2013. In the eleven years since, we’ve traveled 169,000 miles and spent 907 nights in the camper. How has it worked for us and how has it held up? I should point out that most of our use is on rugged backroads. Our truck and camper have not been babied.

All-Terrain-Oct2023-005-copy.webp

Here is a link to a post about building our camper in 2013 –
Building Our New Camper

Bottom line – after 11 years we are extremely pleased with how this camper has held up and worked for us. Julie refers to it as “Our home away from home.” We both give our All Terrain Camper a solid “A” grade.

There is not much at all I can pick apart or grouse about. The camper still looks close to new. The frame and structure are rock solid. There are a few gouges in the aluminum siding from squeezing through tight pinyon and junipers.

All-Terrain-Camper-Dec2023-015-copy.webp

All-Terrain-Camper-Dec2023-016-copy.webp

One reason I like the old traditional lapped siding is its ability to hide gouges and scrapes.

I also, very much, prefer the traditional ribbed, screwed-on aluminum roof sheeting that All Terrain Campers uses. I’ve previously written about this –

“Julie and I ordered our All Terrain camper in 2013 right at the time FWC was switching to the thin, off a large roll, non-rigid aluminum sheet for their roofs. I saw the ATC corrugated (makes it much more rigid) roofing sheet as superior. Yes, it is screwed to the roof frame, as roof sheets have been for years. I see that as a plus. The roof sheet can be easily repaired or replaced. We drive on narrow mountain roads, many times with narrow corridors through trees. I expect, someday, I may put a branch through the roof. We've owned - and heavily used - our camper for over 10 years now. We've not had a water leak or problem with our roof. I have not tightened or resealed the screws. No need to, thus far. It is solid construction. It is quiet in the wind. It never ‘oil cans.’ We sleep well.”

All-Terrain-Oct2023-009-copy.webp

All-Terrain-Oct2023-010-copy.webp

I should note, that when at home, our truck and camper are stored in our garage.

The only water leak I remember is two years ago we had water come in the bottom left corner of the door.

All-Terrain-Camper-Dec2023-037-copy.webp

There is a sealed seam (with chalking) that opened up enough to allow water to come in. I cleaned off the old sealant and resealed the corner and the issue was solved.

About three years ago, because the lock broke, I replaced the latch on the door.

All-Terrain-Camper-Dec2023-040-copy.webp

Because of wear, in three places, I’ve installed screen patches over small holes.

All-Terrain-Camper-Dec2023-020-copy.webp

All-Terrain-Camper-Dec2023-021-copy.webp

In places the vinyl sideliner looks a bit dirty but is still solid with minor signs of wear.

All-Terrain-Camper-Dec2023-026-copy.webp

All-Terrain-Camper-Dec2023-025-copy.webp

All-Terrain-Camper-Dec2023-024-copy.webp

Two pet peeves I’ve had are the door holder and the outside switched porch light.

The standard friction – push in – door latch was never solid enough for strong gusts of wind. Two years ago, I purchased the door latch used by FWC and installed it. It's called a "Catch & Latch" and I believe the cost was $25.

All-Terrain-Camper-Dec2023-018-copy.webp

All-Terrain-Camper-Dec2023-017-copy.webp

Because the door has a foam core, I installed a backing plate for the through bolts. I believe these door latches need this addition. I've had the door pulled from my grasp by wind. I would not like to see these bolts pulled out through the door, therefore I've added the backing plate.

All-Terrain-Camper-Dec2023-019-copy.webp

The outside porch light is prone to dust intrusion that interferes with the switch operation. It needs to be kept clean. Also, I replaced the old bulb with an LED panel.

All-Terrain-Camper-Dec2023-023-copy.webp

The review is continued in the following post

Continuing with the review -

Because the folding lift panel comes in (when lowering the roof) with the folding sideliner, I have one very small hole in the clear vinyl window in the window over the stove.

To illustrate how it folds.

All-Terrain-Camper-Dec2023-035-copy.webp

All-Terrain-Camper-Dec2023-039-copy.webp

Here’s the hole.

All-Terrain-Oct2023-014-copy.webp

All-Terrain-Oct2023-013-copy.webp

Thus far it remains small enough to not be an issue.

This wear point at the fold has also abraded the fabric we used for our cold weather – thermal pack we made. This year we added patches at the wear points.

All-Terrain-Camper-Dec2023-027-copy.webp

We also lengthened the cold weather pack to tuck further behind the lift panels (with a silt for the small elastic straps that hold the sideliner to the back of the lift panel).

All-Terrain-Camper-Dec2023-028-copy.webp

All-Terrain-Camper-Dec2023-029-copy.webp

We also added additional Velcro around the corner to hold it in place better.

All-Terrain-Camper-Dec2023-030-copy.webp

As much as our camper is used, I’m very pleased how well the thermal pack material has held up, along with the sideliner.

When I built the interior of the camper back in 2013, I used the paper grain colored plywood that ATC uses. It also has held up well to use with only a few places showing wear.

All-Terrain-Camper-Dec2023-036-copy.webp

Aluminum framed campers – especially with a small interior space – are prone to condensation. Most of this moisture comes from our breathing during long winter nights with the windows closed. We stay on top of condensation by sleeping with the roof vent opened as much as possible and wiping everything up in the morning. When cooking, the roof vent fan over the stove is on with the turnbuckle port at our feet open to ensure a good flow of air to carry away moisture. We have a layer of reflexit under our mattress in the cabover. Julie’s habit right after getting up in the morning is to lift the mattress up and place a couple water bottles under it to prop up the mattress to get airflow under it. She also, quite often, flips the mattress over so it completely dries. When the sun comes out – finally – after a spell of wet weather, we pull all the pads out of the camper and place them in the sun for a thorough drying and freshening. We would never have a mattress cover with a solid vinyl bottom that inhibits breathability. Also, flipping a mattress often helps eliminate wear patterns in the foam.

Winter-Trip-2019-209-copy.webp

Another item that I changed was the rubber bumper at the end of the bed slide board. Here is a link to what I did –
Bed Slide Bump Stops

The camper came with an Atwood propane furnace. A few years back it required repair. Here is a link to what I did –
Atwood Hydro Flame 8516-IV Furnace Repair

We did not like the curtain rod used on our large side window and made changes that are documented here –
It’s Curtains!

Although not directly related to our All Terrain Camper, I will include reviews/repairs to other components.

Like many others, I installed a Lagun table mount. It did not hold up to our use, it broke, and I modified it into a non-movable, very solid mount. We are both much happier and, because of our experience, I do not recommend a Lagun style mount. Here’s what I did –
Lagun Table Mount Modification

After many years of use, we rejuvenated our foam pads using steam –

Foam Cushion Maintenance

Two years after using steam on our foam, we replaced all our foam pads with “High Resilience Foam.” This was expensive but the foam is of much higher quality. The shop in Sacramento put out three samples for Julie to lay on. Julie picked firm. With how much we use the camper, this was definitely worth it.

We use a chest style compressor refrigerator in our camper.

All-Terrain-Camper-Dec2023-032-copy.webp

First off, I did testing to determine the amount of electrical power it used while running –
TruckFridge TF51A Test Results

During all the years we’ve used this refrigerator, it has required only one repair and one maintenance –
Truckfridge Chest Refrigerator Repair TF51

Chest Style Compressor Refrigerators and Dust

I installed a SMEV glass top propane stove in our camper.

All-Terrain-Camper-Dec2023-031-copy.webp

We love it but it has had its issues. Our main complaint is the non-stainless-steel screws used on the burners They rust as do other parts. Here are two links -
SMEV Burner clean up
SMEV Glass Top Stove

As it may be helpful, I’ll add two links to posts about maintenance we’ve done on our camper.
2015 Camper Maintenance
2022 Camper Maintenance

Back to the bottom line of this long-term review. We give our camper a solid “A” and highly recommend All Terrain if you are considering a popup truck camper. Their workmanship, attention to detail, and customer service are top notch. And my favorite part - you are always talking and dealing with the actual builders of your camper.

Thanks for this excellent writeup on your experience.

We only have 455 nights and have a few similar problems with our FWC. The outside rear light switch just can't take all the dust, and is pretty fussy. We've had rusty screws in several areas, particularly the stove, and wish they used stainless. Maybe there's a dissimilar metals issue and we're getting galvanic corrosion. So far our vinyl has no holes, nor the windows, but we don't have nearly as many nights. (We don't have the thermal pack.) We also get lots of condensation and Deb won't allow any open windows when it's cold.

One difference is your fridge dumps the heat it produces into your camper. Or is there a vent on the front lower part of your camper wall? Anyway, it's working fine obviously.

I wish we could talk to the actual builders, but we went through a local dealer. If only we lived near Sacramento. Nah, we love where we live!

Back
Top Bottom