Outside thermometer?

craig333

Riley's Human
I'd like to have an outside thermometer. Preferably digital. Wireless or not. I purchased one thats nice. Big numbers but I took a good look at the mounting and realized it would never stay on the camper off road. Most of the units I see are more suitable for household use.

I'd like to have an outside thermometer. Preferably digital. Wireless or not. I purchased one thats nice. Big numbers but I took a good look at the mounting and realized it would never stay on the camper off road. Most of the units I see are more suitable for household use.

Go to a automotive store and see if they have heavy duty plastic velcro. This stuff has a adhesive backing that sticks to anything, the locking tabs secure the outside temp sensor just fine, it will not come loose on rough roads, if you don't trust it, remove the sensor and store inside, problem solved.

Took two tries, but the second has worked fine. We went wireless the second time and that was simple, easy and about the same price. We used industrial velcro - comes as a hard block with hooks and super sticky felt strips. Three trips in and out of Saline Valley and no problem.

The first try taught us what to look for: LARGE display, easy to find light switch, simultaneous display of indoor and outdoor temperatures. Humidity display was also quite helpful because knowing the humidity and outdoor temperature made adjusting the Norcold fridge more accurate. Time is nice, but we could live without it. Oh, and choose a unit that uses standard AAA or AA batteries, that is, avoid Oregon Scientific and such.

You might want to look at Engel refrigerators / coolers.

http://www.engel-usa.com/thermometer.htm

I had a customer that I think (think?) got his thermometer from Engel.

I'm not sure it was an "outdoor" version, but he put it in the back window of the camper (small window on the rear door).

Looked good and seemed to work well.

It was mounted inside the camper, but he could easily see it from outside.

:)

I purchased a Radio Shack digital wireless thermometer with 3 sensors several years ago. The digital display was mounted on a screw on the back wall of the camper. I added a square piece of Velcro at the bottom so it wouldn’t jump off the screw during rough rides. I can read the display within the camper and from the driver’s seat. The sensors come with a great bracket and they have never broken loose. This setup has been a great solution for me and hope it give you a few ideas.

One thought if concerned about losing the outside sensor is to mount it on the outside of the camper on the driver or passenger side in front of the wheel wells. This way if it does pop off, it will fall into the pocket of the wheel well, not out on the road.

On my current rig I have the old style dual glass thermometer with the metal bulb outside. only problem is it's on the back of the camper exposed to the sunlight, so during the day it gives false readings.

Good point Matt. I have one sensor located outside by one of the turn buckles away from direct sun light, another in the fridge and the 3 third is in the Engel.

I bought an Oregon sci one that reads the outside temp by wire. The wire passes through the side window. When not using it, I tuck the wire inside the window. When in use the wire allows me to read the temp away from the camper/truck so the sun's heat doesn't affect it. I really like units that have memory, so you can see the high/low for the day. It's nice to wake up and see that it was cold out overnight while you slept all nice and warm. Oh, and velcro mounts inside.

I bought one years ago from Cabelas. I believe they still sell it. It's about 1 1\2'' wide by 5'' long & I mounted it to the face of my Galley under the stove area.I think it runs about $19.95. Originally I had the outside sensor in the area behind the fridge but the heat fromt the fridge running made it read warm so I ran it into the LP compartment. Since it's vented to the outside but well out of direct sunlight. It seems to work well.

Thats exactly what I wound up doing. Though I was hoping to relocate the outside sensor later.

I bought one years ago from Cabelas. I believe they still sell it. It's about 1 1\2'' wide by 5'' long & I mounted it to the face of my Galley under the stove area.I think it runs about $19.95. Originally I had the outside sensor in the area behind the fridge but the heat fromt the fridge running made it read warm so I ran it into the LP compartment. Since it's vented to the outside but well out of direct sunlight. It seems to work well.

I was going to put the sensor just above the front window (exterior), as it doesn't see any sunlight. I would think, even though the gas compartment is vented there would be a higher ambient reading as I wouldn't think the gas compartment is insulated from the inside, allowing interior heat to affect the true reading. Any thoughts?

Paul

I chose the prop compartment because I was able to zip tie it in there. i had hoped to take the case apart, drill a couple holes and screw it in, but it well glued. Think I'd destroy it trying to take it apart. Its not meant for this kind of installation. But nothing is that I've run across so far. I'll hit up my buddy who is good at this stuff and see what he says.

I was going to put the sensor just above the front window (exterior), as it doesn't see any sunlight. I would think, even though the gas compartment is vented there would be a higher ambient reading as I wouldn't think the gas compartment is insulated from the inside, allowing interior heat to affect the true reading. Any thoughts?

Paul

Sorry, I just got back to check in with you guys, work, work, work. I suppose if you kept your camper real warm for an extended time it could have some effect, unless you insulate the box with Tekfoil like some other's here have done. When I winter camp I have a Little Buddy heater that & use to take the chill off in the morning & evening but other than that I don't usually heat the camper - just a good sleeping bag or sometimes 2. Needless to say I don't fill the water tank either. I use a insulated Igloo water container like you see on the back of utility trucks & have never had it freeze even after 5 days with highs in the 20s & lows around zero.

Back
Top Bottom