Overcab bedding replacment

Mushhuskies:

That does sound like a nice alternative. I have the older not so tall bed area like the newer campers. Probably the same as you. I do find the foam on the couch that is thicker does feel better. A thicker mattress up on top would be good as well. My goal is to find something that is uber comfortable, takes not more space than the existing system, and reduce the amount of stuff I have to store. Right now, bedding takes up a lot of space. This is a nice option if I can find a use for the extra cushions.

So far, I have done some more testing and this is what I Have found from last weekend.

3.5 in self inflating mats (like thermarest) are the uber comfortable of all the options I have tried. This past weekend I used a 3.5 in self inflater with a 1/2 inc under it. This was placed next to the stock foam mats, but they were doubled. Amazingly, the level between these two setups was just about right. The doubled cushions was much more comforatable.... but not so much as the self inflating mats.

Still had to store the inflatable and it does take a lot of space.....

Last night I picked up a cheap coleman battery operated pump that can inflate and deflate an airmattress. Turns out, fits right over the REI valves on my 3.5 inch self inflater. Now, I can inflate without having to use breath (and all that moisture) but more importantly, I can use it to deflate the mat as well. This may be the key. Thank BillHarr for this tip. When I deflate the mat, it shrinks to much less than the stock cushions....

So, I think I will be able to get two XL 3.5 inch mats. Use them up on top to sleep and store them stacked if I deflate them with the pump. This little pump is small enough to store up on top at the end of the slightly shorter self inflating mat. I could not find any manual pumps the would inflate and deflate that was not too big. Some of the pumps for inflatable boats looked like they would work, but were WAY too big. If anyone knows a small pump that is manual and could be used for this let me know. I like the K-Pump, but it only inflates.....bummer.

I also got the thermarest coupling kit. It is just long enough to bind my thermarest stack and the stacked stock cushions. No more valley between the pads and much better for sleep. It worked a lot better than people have reviewed it.

If this works out and I have some space, I might be able to put some insulation on the bottom of the upper bed to cut down the condensation and make it even better for winter camping. this is all starting to really come together. All in the quest for a better night of sleep. Thanks all.

Dave

I'v been struggling with this comfort of sleeping situation since I bought my Hawk in 2005. I have the 4" foam and it is much to hard, I have been using down mattress pads and a lofty sleeping bag over the foam pads, but it is not the perfect solution. I discovered on the Westy camper site they have a foldable memory foam mattress topper that would lay over the 4" existing foam. I'm on the fence with going with the Westy pad or removing the FWC 4" foam sleeping pads and replacing it with a more suitable solution for comfort, possibly a 3 -4" lightweight futon. Has anyone replaced these 4" foam sleeping pads? It's hard to take them out because FWC does such a great job making them, they look great and are so beautifully made, but not built for comfort! Any ideas? Enjoy! Terri

I'v been struggling with this comfort of sleeping situation since I bought my Hawk in 2005. I have the 4" foam and it is much to hard, I have been using down mattress pads and a lofty sleeping bag over the foam pads, but it is not the perfect solution. I discovered on the Westy camper site they have a foldable memory foam mattress topper that would lay over the 4" existing foam. I'm on the fence with going with the Westy pad or removing the FWC 4" foam sleeping pads and replacing it with a more suitable solution for comfort, possibly a 3 -4" lightweight futon. Has anyone replaced these 4" foam sleeping pads? It's hard to take them out because FWC does such a great job making them, they look great and are so beautifully made, but not built for comfort! Any ideas? Enjoy! Terri

You could just reuse the stock mattress covers over some softer foam:
http://www.foamreplacement.com/seatcushion/foamtypes.html

I believe the factory stuff is likely around the 55# ILD and that is what I used for the bed extension cushions I had made up. You could try out the 38# ILD if you wanted softer. (FYI the ILD is the firmness, the density differences in each firmness category are apparently a lifespan indication more than anything).

I bought brand new 2" pads from ATC last June... biggest waste of $50 since "the great oregano fiasco" during my sophomore year of college. Not ATC's fault, those 2" pads are what they are... :mad:

I'm a side-sleeper too and the crease between the two pads hits me right on the hip socket. Can't sleep horizontal in my Eagle, at 5'8, it's too short. The best I can do is to sleep catty-wampus once the lady curls into a ball on her side... and even that ain't all that great.

Some good suggestions in here as I've resisted dragging our two thermarests along so far.

Back
Top Bottom