Overland expo and Beyond

Ted

Magellan
Site Team
We're back from an extended weekend to the Safari Outfit Gathering, er, um, I mean Overland Expo. We pulled in Thursday evening a little later than planned. Yes, due to Magellan's navigational skills. Anyway, we spotted some familiar rigs and pulled in next to them. Lots of very cool rigs. Roof Top Tents (RTT) were definitely the preferred expo rig. We are used to getting asked about our camper, but here we were about as boring as they come.

Our rig in the right foreground, Jay and his ATC, Marc and his XP, and Bob in front of him.
gallery_176_385_1647533.jpg

Roof Top Tents
gallery_176_385_2744737.jpg

gallery_176_385_933906.jpg

gallery_176_385_2289843.jpg

gallery_176_385_100270.jpg

Saw member Teleturns with his customized FWC. You can read his build thread on Expedition Portel

gallery_176_385_209845.jpg

Also met Bisleybud and checked out his camper with the beautiful custom interior he built. Sorry, no photos, but check out his build thread here.

Reading about the Turtle Expedition some 15 years ago or so is what got us into this type of travel. It was cool to meet them in person.
gallery_176_385_118559.jpg

We kind of had the been there, done that feel for OX by Saturday morning so left early to... Wander the West! Headed north into Vermillion Cliffs.
gallery_176_385_92743.jpg

Stopped on the Navajo Bridge to check out the Colorado River.
gallery_176_385_117614.jpg

Here we got what I consider the highlight of the trip. Vermillion Cliffs is a release sight for Condors. They tend to hang out on the bridge. At some points they were flying within 50 feet of us! Here are four of them.
gallery_176_385_39861.jpg

gallery_176_385_126196.jpg

gallery_176_385_46358.jpg

gallery_176_385_279584.jpg

We stayed near Zion that night but even the boondock areas were crowded as people were gathering for the eclipse. We decided to head home across Nevada and see if we could lose the crowds by going to Monitor Valley. 30 miles of gravel road from HWY 50 did the trick as there was only one person at Toquima Cave CG.

On the way in we saw a large group of wild mustangs. The stallion took the front in a defensive pose until we rolled past.
gallery_176_385_235170.jpg

gallery_176_385_282183.jpg

Caught the ring of fire that night and headed home the next day.
gallery_176_385_67803.jpg

Ted,
It was great meeting you and Donna in person. Next time slap me!!!!
<snip>

There's got to be more to this story.

Jay, I was happy to finally get to meet you in person as well. Slapping you is highly unlikely.

Ski, not much of a story. Jay simply got into a heartfelt discussion with a nearby camper. Eventually the subject changed to Baja. That is the way I recall it. :D

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it!

And with, of course, a bit of proper discretion .........a la what happens at Expo stays at Expo. The way it should be.

I'm still waiting for a full group photo, all in new crisp safari outfits.

I'm still waiting for a full group photo, all in new crisp safari outfits.

That reminds me. Jay, Anyone get a photo of you in your new hat?

Hey Ted ... Was good to se ya again and to meet Donna this time around. Am still on the road and traveling solo again, oops I mean with Dylan Dog. Have had a GREAT trip so far and am in Brian Head Utah as I write. Plan on being home by Sunday and will post some pics then. Dylan sends kisses to Donna. :)

marc

That's the best non-professional-astrophotographer pic of the eclipse I've seen yet!

Thanks for the report.

-Safari Gear Wanabe

Ted, besides all the gear and social part of your trip, it looks like you saw some nice country as well. :)
I've never seen a condor...yet. Guess I gotta expand my territory.
Thanks for sharing.

Here's a couple more pics from OE.
1. Jay in his "Official Overland Expo" Pith Helmet.
2. Some of the gang in attendance: Left to right: Ted, Jay, SimiMike, Steve and Marc.

Attachments

• oe-1.jpg
    oe-1.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 206
  • oe-2.jpg
    oe-2.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 209
Marc or Bob
Please send me a PM with Marc's contact info. One of the AZ guys from OvEx is interested in Marcs rig. He'd like to see it on Marcs drive home.
Jay

Marc or Bob
Please send me a PM with Marc's contact info. One of the AZ guys from OvEx is interested in Marcs rig. He'd like to see it on Marcs drive home.
Jay

P.M. sent..

Back
Top Bottom