Overland Expo?

Anyone here going? I'm going to try and make it. The only thing stopping me is if I get scheduled for back surgery thru the VA at that time.

Get scheduled yet? VA has covered my last 2 surgeries, private docs. Hope it goes well. Think I'll be draggin our Lance camper through Labrador during that time frame.

There is dispersed camping all around the area.... plenty of room, flat forest, firewood.... We will probably use same spot this year.... A lot of people camp down FR219 not far from Mormon Lake Rd. There is also an area called Navajo Spring on FR219A that has a trail down to the expo that is less than a mile away.
BX
ps, I saw your website, my wife is a bird lover/spotter (nut) and I will show her your site, she'll be impressed.

BX, thanks for that excellent information. I may not decide where to camp until I get there and check things out in person. I plan to get there Thursday afternoon, so may go exploring first. On one hand I'd like to be on-site and sociable - close to the action, on the other hand I do love peace and quiet, especially at night. It is great to know that there will be good camping close by and that I can play it by ear.
Thanks, too, for checking out my website. Hope we get a chance to meet, if not become neighbors :)

I'm going for the first time. Riding from San Antonio and tent camping. Signed up for a number of adventure motorcycle classes - really looking forward to it. I am interested in suggestions regarding camping off site and less traveled routes into and out of the Morman Lake area as well as any words of wisdom from veteran expo attendees.

How was Expo?

I was so close yet so far. Picked up my new to me Finch on Saturday in Scottsdale. Didn't bring any camping necessities so drove home that night. I know if I had went prepared I would be exploring Escalante or some other wonderful place out that way. Maybe Toroweap.

I've camped to the west of Sunset Crater and it was pretty good. Some late night wheelers came through the area and made some noise. For me it was a stopover on the way to the San Juans. I would camp there again.

Anyone there who saw a guy in a white t-shirt with a particularly memorable image and words on the back should have introduced yourself. I wish that I'd brought a pedometer, I'm guessing 10 miles of walking on Saturday. Proponents of one particular brand of vehicle seemed singularly determined to reinforce their stereotype for stodgy pretentiousness, though one of the parts vendors for that brand were very down to earth and helpful even though we interested in something that they had but were not sellers of. Some interesting vehicles and equipment for sale, some I can see no reasonable reason for having on this continent. I recommend the Lodge for grub if you're not camping there. Can't say that I liked what one vendor did to an Airstream for use as a display trailer (I've a soft spot for them as I grew up camping in one). Met the Phoenix camper folks and found them to be likeable and personable after what I'm sure had been a second long day. The more that I look at Sportsmobile-type back country camper vans, the more that I'm glad that we didn't buy one.

The more that I look at Sportsmobile-type back country camper vans, the more that I'm glad that we didn't buy one.

I'd be interested in your reasoning here. I was there for a few hours Sunday checking the vendors and talked to a guy with Sportsmobile some. I have been starting to think that might suit my needs, although not for $110,000.

I'd be interested in your reasoning here. I was there for a few hours Sunday checking the vendors and talked to a guy with Sportsmobile some. I have been starting to think that might suit my needs, although not for $110,000.

You might be able to get a new one for 85k, Barko.

You might be able to get a new one for 85k, Barko.

I've seen used ones for that! Another option is by a van, the 4 wheel conversion is another 12, and the top and all inside outfitting could be another 25k!!

No problem with the work that SMB does, it appears to be high quality.
One day I realized that you sit, effectively, on top of the front axle. There is no way for the ride quality to be good unless air suspension seats are employed. At the price of even used, adding air seats is just another escalation. We were at ~$85k new when considering it a couple of years ago. That was after a very careful consideration of the options and evaluating what to have them do while building it v.s what I could do after it was built. I'm into our CTD/Phoenix for less than 1/5 of what a good used SMB would cost and I think that we have a better vehicle for our use. About the only thing that an SMB would offer that we can't do is for my wife to build me a sammich while we're rolling down the road.

Back
Top Bottom