Overtightened Turnbuckles On Hawk Eyebolts-Damn!

Brad's Dad

Advanced Member
The former owner overtorqued and damaged the plywood badly on a front corner (so the plywood is actually loose), a little less on the other front and just enough to tell visually that the rears are pulling down the plywood a tad (all without the turnbuckles attached).

Could I get some factory input here as to a recommended repair and if anyone else has done the same- how did you do it?

I have a plan but would like to see what others have done first.

Thanks, Fred

Do you have any pictures to show how bad it is ?

I can chime in, as well as others here on the forum will probably too.

I'm sorry Stan, no digital at this time but I'll try to explain if you are willing to bear with me.

When viewing the eyebolt area from the side you can see that the horizontal plywood it is screwed into has been pulled down so that the side grain is exposed - (varying degrees of exposure). Left front has about 1/8" exposed and when I pull down on the eyebolt by hand I can move the plywood another 1/8" at least. Right front has slightly less side grain exposed but will not move when I pull on it. The rears each have less than 1/16" exposed but enough to tell that the plywood has moved beyond it's original position. All measurements are unloaded.

On the worst one (left front), there is no separation between the plywood "around the corner" and forward from the eyebolt area along the seam with the vertical front panel of plywood.

Sorry I hate technical explanations like this in writing, specially while working on my first cup of coffee. Any questions to quantify what you need to know more exactly?

Fred

I can fix your Hawk like brand new and at no charge. Ship it to me and I will do the repairs and ship it back. Shouldn't take me over 10-15 years!!! :D

I ripped and eybolt out compeltely and nearly pulled another one out. Easy fix with some aluminum plates cut and placed over the damaged area.

Here is a post on the subject with the fix:

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/1130/

Excellent point for me to follow up on in this link. My plywood is separating at the seam for sure (which is one needed repair) but I haven't yet taken apart the eyebolts to see if there is any damage involved there. Good lead!

Fred

I can fix your Hawk like brand new and at no charge. Ship it to me and I will do the repairs and ship it back. Shouldn't take me over 10-15 years!!! :D

Wow, the price is right! I'm looking into UPS vs. FedEx rates as we speak (Nyuk Nyuk).

BD,

if you have that much 'play' in your left front, you may have popped the corner welds. if so, that would want to be addressed.. I have seen these frames fixed with JB weld..one in particular has been going strong for ten years of heavy Baja use, with Jb weld..

Just how tight are the eyebolts supposed to be? I admit to being an over-torquer and don't want to be in the position of having to ask for advice on fixing these in the future.
BX

BD,

if you have that much 'play' in your left front, you may have popped the corner welds. if so, that would want to be addressed.. I have seen these frames fixed with JB weld..one in particular has been going strong for ten years of heavy Baja use, with Jb weld..

Hmmmm. You out there Stan??? What may I be up against here?

Fred

Do you have any pictures to show how bad it is ?

I can chime in, as well as others here on the forum will probably too.

Hi Stan. I sent you an email tonight with pictures. I ain't the sharpest tool in the drawer when it comes to posting pictures on the forum but did manage to get an email with the pics attached.

Thanks,

Fred

Just how tight are the eyebolts supposed to be? I admit to being an over-torquer and don't want to be in the position of having to ask for advice on fixing these in the future.
BX

hand tightened, then 1/2 a turn.

Back
Top Bottom