Owens Valley - May 2023

ski3pin

Belay On
Site Team
Thanks for sharing. An amazing place it is indeed. Nice to hit the local haunts while the gett'n is good amongst the things mother nature deals us that keep the masses at bay. Nice score!

Really enjoyed the read and photos! Wish my 'commute' to out there wasn't so long! You two are very lucky hikers!

Flower ID's from your blog.
The yellow & white flower is a Basin yellow catseye or Mojave popcorn flower (Oreocarya confertiflora)
The purple one is a Thistle Sage (Salvia carduacea)

We crossed paths out there as I was in the area about the same time. Great to see your beautiful photos.

Rick

RickD said:
Flower ID's from your blog.
The yellow & white flower is a Basin yellow catseye or Mojave popcorn flower (Oreocarya confertiflora)
The purple one is a Thistle Sage (Salvia carduacea)

We crossed paths out there as I was in the area about the same time. Great to see your beautiful photos.

Rick
Rick, Thanks! We met and briefly chatted at the closure gate on Chalk Bluff Road. You have the All Terrain Bobcat camper built for a Tundra?

You are right on with your flower ID's.

Mojave popcorn flower (Oreocarya confertiflora)

OwensValley-202305--copy-255.webp

Thistle Sage (Salvia carduacea)

OwensValley-202305--copy-296.webp

We did meet there. Apologies if I held you up. I was thinking you were with the first FWC that came through.
My camper is an Ocelot. It's basically a Bobcat with a wider base since the Tundra is 48" between wheel wells. I ended up getting it in 2013 partly because of watching your Bobcat build.

When I contacted All-Terrain they said since it's on a 1st gen Tundra they could cut it down 2" if I didn't need the interior height. That way it would sit better on the truck. It came as a shell & I built out the interior. I forget what they were using for the floor & under the cab-over at the time, but I asked if they would consider using 3/4" marine plywood. They bought a couple of sheets & built mine with it. Not sure if they continued. More to the story, but really great folks. Always there to answer questions when I added a furnace, stove & propane.

Safe travels & looking forward to more chapters,
Rick

Just FYI. I've gone back and added and corrected most of the wildflower identifications and also added links. I believe this is the only ID that I'm currently lacking.

OwensValley-202305--copy-412.webp

Cpt Davenport said:
Thanks for sharing. An amazing place it is indeed. Nice to hit the local haunts while the gett'n is good amongst the things mother nature deals us that keep the masses at bay. Nice score!
Thanks Capt! We are darn lucky to live so close to this area and see it during all seasons. :)

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Beautiful beautiful country and photography! Thanks for letting us see it, too.
You are most welcome Mr. Sage!

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Thanks Monte.Another beautiful place you have taken us to.
Gotta love those lizards,very beautiful critters.
Frank

Thanks Frank! Yes, it was amazing to see most of the lizards in their bright "look at me, I'm available colors."

buckland said:
Really enjoyed the read and photos! Wish my 'commute' to out there wasn't so long! You two are very lucky hikers!
Thanks buckland! Yes, we know how lucky we are and will keep it up as long as we possibly can. :)

Thanks Monte.Great looking shoes ,don't have a name fro them though.just enjoy your walks.
Frank
Yes, I'm getting to really like the orange. I have 4 years of pleasure ahead with these. They are so much fun to completely wear out. My first pair I bought in 1969 were size 9.5. The new orange ones are size 11.5. How did that happen? I do weigh 10 lbs. more than I did then.

Thanks for the final part of your journey.
Your wildflower photos are always beautiful.
Yes it's to see our tax money is protecting the "Graboids"
from being molested by us mere humans.

Great trip.
Frank

Thanks for the final part of your journey.
Your wildflower photos are always beautiful.
Yes it's to see our tax money is protecting the "Graboids"
from being molested by us mere humans.

Great trip.
Frank
Frank, that is a large piece of private property - that's probably why the movie town "Perfection" was built and filmed there - so our tax money is not evolved. Could be this private company is working on bringing the Graboids back, like the talk we hear about mammoths.

ski3pin said:
Yes, I'm getting to really like the orange. I have 4 years of pleasure ahead with these. They are so much fun to completely wear out. My first pair I bought in 1969 were size 9.5. The new orange ones are size 11.5. How did that happen? I do weigh 10 lbs. more than I did then.
I bought a pair myself last month, have yet to really try them out. I noticed the increase in shoe size too... maybe they are trying to flatter us? Big shoes means big ???? (socks... where did your mind go????) :p

Back
Top Bottom