Painting Camper resources

Anchored nomad

Advanced Member
Anyone have links, resources, etc about painting your FWC? I have a 2006 Eagle that I want to paint grey. Anyone have experience painting theirs, what kinda paint, did you do it professionally, etc?

Thanks!

I had an old Fleet that I painted. Just used Rustoleum spray cans from home depot.. it came out great, people were shocked it wasn't a new camper. pretty easy and quick, did 3 light coats if I remember correctly.

Here is a pic of it..

Attachments

• old camper.jpg
    old camper.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 341
BBZ said:
3 light coats
I'm more the 1 and a half heavy coats type, but I like the spray Rust-Oleum too. It come to out great if you prep the metal properly before you spray it.

a8ksh4 said:
I'm more the 1 and a half heavy coats type, but I like the spray Rust-Oleum too. It come to out great if you prep the metal properly before you spray it.
yup.. many ways to do it.. here is colorado with the low humidity you can re_coat pretty quickly if you go light.. advantage of being able to get a lot done quickly.. unless its windy.. that screws it up..

a8ksh4 said:
How did you prep yours?

Cleaning and fixing any damage
* Mineral spirits worked well to remove old butyl residue
* Gasket remover and mechanical scraping to remove silicone crap.
* Not sure if it's best, but I wiped down the silicon areas with acetone, changing rags a few times, to try to remove any residue.
* Scrape and sand off any flakey damaged paint.
* Make any repairs or patches to holes
* Wipe the whole thing down with wax and grease remover, changing rags a few times as you go. Mainly trying to remove anything that hurt adhesion or cause fish eye and taking care not to spread anything around in the process.
* Rough any bare metal with sanding pad and prime with self etching zinc primer.
* Rub the whole thing down with sanding pad and wipe off any dust. use waxed cloth for this is you're fancy, or just damp paper towel.
* Mask, wet down the floor for dust, and spray new paint!
* You can sand lightly between layers if you're doing this in the driveway and need to remove bugs and crap that landed in your first coat.

Back
Top Bottom