Patching up a Palomino...need some pointers

Jigidy

Hi Guys,

Picked up this Palomino a year ago, had a lot of fun doing some family camping around Idaho last year and doing a few improvements/fixes this spring to make it more efficient for us. The front corners are pretty beat up, pulling apart and allowing a lot of water in, especially if you're driving in a thunderstorm as I discovered last fall returning from a Montana fishing trip. As you can see in the pictures the previous owner(s) tried to fill the cracks with silicone, I tried this as well thinking I could do a better job but it just doesn't hold. I was wondering if anyone had fixed this specific issue or had advice on how best to reinforce, patch, etc. I was thinking maybe bondo? It leaks so bad I was thinking I should make a "camper condom" big rubber cover to go over the entire front hahaha.

Thanks for any advice.

Chris 'jigidy' Jensen

Attachments

• File_001.jpeg
    File_001.jpeg
    83.5 KB · Views: 182
  • File_000 (1).jpeg
    File_000 (1).jpeg
    64 KB · Views: 177
Try Eternabond Roofing tape, check it out here and look on Youtube for people using it on campers.
http://www.bestmaterials.com/Roof_Flashing.aspx

BTW, your canvas should prevent water from getting into that seam. If your canvas has a hole in the corner from being over the corner (mine does), this tape might be able to solve that problem as well, just put something on the other side of the hole where the adhesive comes through to prevent it from sticking to everything.
Let me know what you figure. I am about to remove all of my edge trim, clean it up and tape them. I'll post when I start the project.
Josh

Thanks Josh. I actually ordered some Eternabond tape last week! I'll test it out and report back. Best, Chris

Chris, this doesn't look like a simple sealer type fix. Something has let go allowing the separation to occur. Any fix has to involve finding a way to reinforce those corners.
If it were mine I would remove the latches and stainless steel strip so I could see the problem a little better. Then using L brackets and through bolts find a way to pull it back together. After checking to make sure this works I would fill the crack with Gorrila Glue and tighten things up. THEN I would cover the area with Eternabond.
Sealers and tape don't have the strength to hold the corner. Too much stress here. (now I gotta go take a close look at mine and make sure it isn't starting to do the same thing)
-Bill-

Back
Top Bottom