Picking Up Hawk...Advice On Delivery?

Close a dollar bill in the the refrigerator door to make sure it's adjusted properly. The magnetic door gasket should make it difficult to pull the bill out. Easier for dealer to adjust door than you. There's a thread somewhere in the forum about this.

Paul

I think getting a routine down was the hardest. Do this, check this, latches shut, etc. I would make a checklist until you can do the things you need to do in your sleep. It really doesn't take that long but at first it's a bit nerve racking. Also the way the ATC guys showed me to tighten the turnbuckles is pretty easy. Snug them down then a few extra turns. Check them the first few times you drive around w/ the camper as the camper will shift forward / backwards (probably just forward) and depending on how they are attached to the eyebolts in the truck. You'll figure how too, what tools to carry for various tasks (propane tank removal, etc.). I think the one thing that takes some "feeling" for is the top clamps. Don't over tighten them. FWC probably showed you how to adjust those.

Have fun!

PaulT said:
Close a dollar bill in the the refrigerator door to make sure it's adjusted properly. The magnetic door gasket should make it difficult to pull the bill out. Easier for dealer to adjust door than you. There's a thread somewhere in the forum about this.

Paul
I couldn't find anything on using a dollar bill specifically but this thread mentions using paper (post #11) and provides door-adjustment instructions and photos for the 65-liter fridge (thanks to billharr).

rfg said:
I don't have FWC, but always check the roof latches before driving off. Yep, I'm a member of that club.
Check that they also disengaged when you open them. I had one not release, and it's amazing how tough it is to raise the roof when you don't notice a little thing like that :unsure:

Damn...tons of good ideas...again thanks! A checklist is in the making.

Hey one bit of advice is a good one, but not one I will not take...'spending a couple of nights in the camper near the dealer' in case I have more questions after using the systems..

An aside about me...

I am a far NE Oregon guy, open spaces, mountains, critters and very, very few people..time spent in or around Portland [Tigard] will be kept to a minimum..It is always pure relief to drop down into Wallowa Valley and away from the hoard...just me, mind you and some love the big city stuff...good on them....as a kid I grew up in Nevada and became a sagebrush wanderer...now in retirement I can get back to that....whew! "Mighty Fine" indeed.

The information has been greatly appreciated and it all makes sense...thanks. I am sure I will post questions in the future.

Phil

+2 on checking frig closure. I have had temp issues since purchase and I only learned on this forum about potential closure issues. Another trick to check the closure is put a flashlight in the frig and see if there is light leakage - obviously do this when it is dark...

LOCK REFRIGERATOR DOOR
TURN OFF HEATER
CLOSE VENTS
Close Cabinets
Check Stove
Check Lights
Secure Trash
Secure Top
Secure Drain
Check Refrigerator Setting
Check Area
Put Up Ladder
Lock Door

carld said:
LOCK REFRIGERATOR DOOR
TURN OFF HEATER
CLOSE VENTS
Close Cabinets
Check Stove
Check Lights
Secure Trash
Secure Top
Secure Drain
Check Refrigerator Setting
Check Area
Put Up Ladder
Lock Door
.....and be happy, very happy.

If they weren't thorough enough on the walkthrough its probably because of people like me. I practically had to shove them away, yeah yeah, I'll figure it out. I was anxious to be off. I'm also the kind that goes "instructions? we don't need no stinking instructions" :)

And if you do forget something just read our thread on "stupidest thing(s) you've done" and be sure someone else has done it first !

After the dealer brief, you will feel like you've been hit with a fire hose full of info. No way to remember it all.

I don't know if it still there, but the FWC web site has a good checklist/brief/outline in PDF format. Print it out and take it with you.

To cover my "hit" list, which has been addressed by others for the most part...
Before driving away, double check the roof latches.
Secure the dead bolt in the door.
Make sure the table support arm is secure so it doesn't flop around and hit stuff while taking turns.
Double check roof vents closed.
While your propane tanks may be empty, get in the habit of checking the tank valves are closed. Last thing you need is to be involved an accident and have a possible propane leak.

I don't know how far you have to drive home, but, I'd check the turnbuckles 30 - 50 miles after leaving the dealer.

The REALLY important thing, ENJOY and have FUN!

CONGRATULATIONS!

Craig,

I can relate! Any mistake is worth repeating. My professions required me to be a problem solver so it still serves me well. Or, as I like to say "discovery learning" is my practice. This forum has been and will continue to be very helpful and on target.

Thanks to all.

Phil

Ps...KK6AUI, I only have a handheld and that is not mastered nor currently up and running but just got my Tech....K17ARF.

It's funny, I couldn't think of a thing when reading the original post. As others post good suggestions it's like a light bulb and I think, "Oh yeah, that is a good idea." The thing I would suggest, as probably already suggested is to check the turnbuckles, at least when you get home, and re-tighten them.

Ace,

For certain...the turnbuckles will be check by Hood River and then again before going over Meacham on 84 and getting future into the Mts. on 82.

Thanks...Phil

Bombsight [must be a story there... :D],

I am not a GoPro person; nor do I take so-called selfies, fly drones, etc...too old and conventional I guess...but I will photograph everything that I can before leaving Tigard and take notes. Still a map, pencil / pen paper kind of guy! ;)

But thanks for the suggestion...recordation is important.

Wallowa

Maybe a voice recorder? I would think words and directions would supersede photos or even video alone.
"Conventional" is not a bad thing. ;)

I didn't read a;; the way through so I might be doubling up. Make sure you take some nuts with you to jam nut the turn buckles. Mine were loose and one fell off from Jackson to Victor. And that is not very far.

Phil, good question for the dealer. They will tell you the size of the turnbuckle. jd

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

I know one side is left hand. I think they are a standard 3/8 nut. I think all I have is the standard thread on mine. I have only one jam nut per turnbuckle I think. Mine has never loosened up since then.

Back
Top Bottom